James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
'18 sport hatch here. Zero issues. Still drives straight as an arrow even after installing Si springs and not getting an alignment.
Hello. I purchased the SI springs for the rear. What differences did you feel in your hatchback? I will be installing new KYB shocks as well in the rear soon.
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello. I purchased the SI springs for the rear. What differences did you feel in your hatchback? I will be installing new KYB shocks as well in the rear soon.
lowered about 10-15mm all around. A hair stiffer up front (barely noticeably so), the increased stiffness in the rear was a lot more noticeable, but still comfy for a daily driver.

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
2018 sport hatch, lot more highway since I moved and the car's steady as a rock.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Stock hatch here for around 2 years now with almost daily highway drive to and from work, and I don't encounter any issue keeping in lane (usually around 160-170kph and some section may be free enough to do 180 depending on the time). On the occasional spirited driving, 200kph still is fine (i.e. no issue keeping the lane).

I am not sure what you mean by struggling, but the Civic's steering takes a lot less effort (I am comparing to Toyota Fortuner and Alfa Romeo 156) and has good grip on the road on highway curves.

In my opinion, you don't have anything to worry about as long as the car is well-maintained.

Last edited:

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I have a 2020 hatch. One thing I notice is on windy days they car is affected more so than my last car when highway driving.

OP
OP

Allmotor8295

First Name
Squirtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model T Batmobile Fred’s footmobile
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. I had another concern that came up. I’m sure it’s been discussed but is the oil dilution a issue. I don’t mind doing shorter drain intervals but smell of fuel inside the cabin would not be good.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I thought I was alone on this. It's all normal on my hatch. Steering center is a bit vague, and the car tramlines. 18" wheels and skinny tires exacerbate this. My hatch tramlines a bit, but on flat surfaces, it drives straight like it's on rails. I can take my hands off the steering wheel, and it will drive straight quite far.
Hey, new to the forums and I am seriously considering purchasing a 10th gen civic sport hatch! I only have one concern though.

I’m concerned about how the sport hatch behaves on the highway. I’ve heard and I don’t know how true this is that on the highway it’s hard to keep the car in lane. That steering is finicky that sort of thing. How does the sport hatch do as a highway cruiser? Its hard to believe but some people make it sound like it’s stressful trying to control the civic sport hatch on the highway. Is this true?

Any feedback will be appreciated!

2020civst

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sport touring 6mt
Country flag
Any highway steering instability reports must be about cars that have some steering defects.

Actually, Sport hatches have slightly smaller lock-to-lock steering turns number specification than regular hatches or sedans, 2.11 vs. 2.22. (for up to 2018 at least) After 2018 there are some small changes in steering specs to sedans too.
I have a 2020 sport hatch and get a weird noise in the front when the wheel is cut all the way. Is this normal ? I know you will get some power steering noise when the wheel is cut all the way but this seems louder than normal

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
It's an electric steering rack, and there shouldn't be any noise. Mine is dead quiet.
lowered about 10-15mm all around. A hair stiffer up front (barely noticeably so), the increased stiffness in the rear was a lot more noticeable, but still comfy for a daily driver.
I have a 2020 sport hatch and get a weird noise in the front when the wheel is cut all the way. Is this normal ? I know you will get some power steering noise when the wheel is cut all the way but this seems louder than normal

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I haven't noticed noise on the Civic but let me check the next time I drive.
I encountered something that maybe similar on my first car a long time ago (1993 Corolla GLI) -some ticking sound when the wheel is cut all the way and moving. If memory serves me right, the mechanic told me that it was the CV joint. On the same car, I also remembered changing to a wider wheel which caused the wheels to hit something when cut all the way.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I may have heard some slight noises in some of my older cars, all with hydraulic steering, but nothing in the current civic. As it goes to the end there seems to be some pressure release or another mechanical safety to protect the pump.
With electric steering there still is a motor overheating warning. So I generally avoid hitting the limits of the steering range, and when I do, I keep it tthere only as long as necessary.

Honda said:
NOTICE
If you repeatedly turn the steering wheel at an extremely low speed, or hold the steering wheel in the full left or right position for a while, the electric power steering (EPS) system heats up. The system goes into a protective mode, and limits its performance. The steering wheel becomes harder and harder to operate. Once the system cools down, the EPS system is restored.
Repeated operation under these conditions can eventually damage the system.

Last edited:

Mintmoney15

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
2020 hatch sport here. Staying in my lane has never been an issue.
Plus it has lane assist for when youre driving at night or when youre exhausted and just want that extra layer or security.
Steering is quick, but not so quick that it makes it fidgety
I have a 18 sport hatch 6mt and the handling is great at any speed

OP
OP

Allmotor8295

First Name
Squirtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model T Batmobile Fred’s footmobile
Country flag
Hey guys, I’ve narrowed down my choices to either hatchback sport, sedan sport or coupe sport. Seems likely I will go with sedan sport.

I had a question in terms of ride quality. Being that these are “sport“ models does the ride quality differ drastically from model to model. For example does a LX sedan have better ride quality vs a sport sedan? I live in the nyc area where the roads are less than perfect. Just wondering how the sport sedan would do on nyc roads.

Say if the LX model does have softer shocks would I be able to swap those into a sport model sedan or coupe? I’m sure I can always downgrade in wheel size and upgrade tire size to improve ride.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The difference mostly is in wheel/tire size. The Sport models have 18" wheels and 40 profile tires. The LX runs on l6's and a 55 profile so it rides softer.

The EX (turbo) models offer a good compromise with 17's and a 50 profile tire.
Sponsored