Allmotor8295

First Name
Squirtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model T Batmobile Fred’s footmobile
Country flag
Hey, new to the forums and I am seriously considering purchasing a 10th gen civic sport hatch! I only have one concern though.

I’m concerned about how the sport hatch behaves on the highway. I’ve heard and I don’t know how true this is that on the highway it’s hard to keep the car in lane. That steering is finicky that sort of thing. How does the sport hatch do as a highway cruiser? Its hard to believe but some people make it sound like it’s stressful trying to control the civic sport hatch on the highway. Is this true?

Any feedback will be appreciated!
Sponsored

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
2020 hatch sport here. Staying in my lane has never been an issue.
Plus it has lane assist for when youre driving at night or when youre exhausted and just want that extra layer or security.
Steering is quick, but not so quick that it makes it fidgety

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Hey, new to the forums and I am seriously considering purchasing a 10th gen civic sport hatch! I only have one concern though.

I’m concerned about how the sport hatch behaves on the highway. I’ve heard and I don’t know how true this is that on the highway it’s hard to keep the car in lane. That steering is finicky that sort of thing. How does the sport hatch do as a highway cruiser? Its hard to believe but some people make it sound like it’s stressful trying to control the civic sport hatch on the highway. Is this true?

Any feedback will be appreciated!
i drive on the highway everyday its fine for me.

OP
OP

Allmotor8295

First Name
Squirtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Aright thanks guys! Great to hear this is a non issue.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive while I'm asleep and the car still gets me where I need to be, and my steering is stiffer than most.

OP
OP

Allmotor8295

First Name
Squirtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there any difference in the way a EX hatch steers vs a sport hatch? Aside from any variances from rims/tires just in terms of how the power steering system functions. I’ve heard something about the sport having a faster rack? Is this true? Or do all of the hatchbacks have identical power steering?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Any highway steering instability reports must be about cars that have some steering defects.

SI and Type R have different racks, all the hatches steer the same.
Actually, Sport hatches have slightly smaller lock-to-lock steering turns number specification than regular hatches or sedans, 2.11 vs. 2.22. (for up to 2018 at least) After 2018 there are some small changes in steering specs to sedans too.

Last edited:

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Yea I’ll be damned just checked the part diagrams and there’s about 5+ different rack part numbers across all trim hatch backs. TIL lol

Kubo99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
2018 sport sensing hatch. Like everyone else here I haven't had any steering issues like that.
Although if you're debating getting the "sensing" package with the sensors and lane-keep assist keep in mind that it will double the cost of windshield replacement because the sensor array needs to be recalibrated.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Is there any difference in the way a EX hatch steers vs a sport hatch? Aside from any variances from rims/tires just in terms of how the power steering system functions. I’ve heard something about the sport having a faster rack? Is this true? Or do all of the hatchbacks have identical power steering?
I know most people are younger than me and are not aware of the different steering systems. I like this system fine but it is light and the system does not get weighted down at highway speed. I don't mind it but it is a little like playing a video game. The best solution is to take it as a package just like the other vehicles have so many different variables and drive more time in the cars you are interested in. I know there is Covid but it's not impossible to give them your information and take it around the streets and highway where you are shopping.
Sponsored