Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS?

btschafer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport; 2004 Corvette Z06; 1995 BMW 318ti DASC; 2006 BMW 325i; 1967 Mustang Convertible
Country flag
So I just emailed Lee Grimes at Koni about shocks for our car. And then he responds within minutes with this....

"Hi Van,

Your timing is impeccable because not more than 10 minutes ago I got confirmation from Holland that finally the Prototypes for the 10G Civic are shipping out from Holland this week for testing here. I just need to locate a car that we can borrow for a few days to do the confirmations on. As I recall however, you are located in Colorado so that may not be possible. If you know anyone in the general Cincinnati, Indy, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, OH area who autocrosses one of these, let me know as I have 3-4 weeks to locate a car for testing.

These are KONI Sport adjustable units that are externally (knob type) adjustable on the fronts and internally (off the car, compress to adjust) adjustable on the rear because the factory rear mounting system is puts the top of the piston rod hidden blind into a void in the fender well that cannot be accessed on the car or from the inside, very similar to what VW has done since the late 1990s. The good news is that Honda moved the spring off the damper so dropping the shock will only require 3 bolts and does not require a spring compressor to remove the spring to compress it. Additionally, Honda chose a very small diameter top mounting nut diameter so that is too small to be made hollow and allow an adjuster tab to come up through.

Since these are prototypes and will be used to test and finalize the valving and specs for production units, this will be the only set until the production units become available which will be most likely late this year after Solo Nationals.

Best regards,

Lee Grimes"

As much as I would love to be the test mule and have the prototype for nationals I am just not close enough. Is there anyone here in Ohio that can test these out for him?! I'm super psyched to have an option to upgrade our shocks!

Van
So, for anyone who has tried the Koni shocks & struts, where's a good starting point to set the rears? I really wish they were externally adjustable but sadly that's not the case for these.
Sponsored

wattage

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reverbnation.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Civic EX-T 6-spd, '17 Fiat 500 Sport
Country flag
I am now in the HS club. Started AX-ing my '17 Sport Hatch this past weekend and was thrilled for the first time out with the car. Been out of Autocrossing for 18 years or so, ran an MR2 and a Miata so quite a different thing.

I won Street Class pax and was 2nd overall so yeah, happy with it so far.

17x8 +45 20lb Moda wheel, Kumho 245/45-17 V730's - cool out, on concrete ran at 30lbs

Terpo1

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport
Country flag
Hey guys and girls, car is paid off and now starting to build it into a HS Killin machine. If you want check me out on Instagram @samtmfterp
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? ad5ae545264044d88bc5a1d06215f3fe

Terpo1

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport
Country flag
:wave:I'm in HS! Run 2 events so far. My instagram has pictures and such on my progress.
Mods: 18x8 Enkei, 245/40/18 Maxxis VR1, Progress Rear Sway, factory camber adjustment (sitting at about -.5* in the front, -1.5* out back)

It's a decent car, could definitely use some better shocks under it. It's still fun and i'd say it's definitely competitive with the Fiesta ST. :drive:

It's too damn quiet, though. Can't hear squat with my helmet on :sleep:
What's your Instagram?

Andres3165

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Country flag
Got my 2018 Sport 3 weeks ago with 19000 miles. Coming from a 2017 Fist fully prepped . Ran first event last weekend with WDCR, I had Rpf1s with Kumho Front Yoks Rear, Karcepts Rsb. Against a well prepped Fist on Re71Rs. Finished 2 tenths behind. Installing Konis and full catback this weekend.
Also have two Re71Rs on rpf1s to test upfront.
New in the Durham NC area.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? 20230715_125740
Sponsored