Civic Si's LSD for non Si models?

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe when this fx300 dies, I'll include it in the next install.
Sponsored

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
Has anyone completed this LSD project yet ? I have a 2018 sport hatch uk version and Mfactory have an LSD for the L15B engines, they recommend upgrading the bearings and using a specific trans fluid. I am thinking of having this installed but unsure on what else i need for the upgrade to work? Seeings this is for my engine i shouldnt think il need much else?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found an Si LSD for cheap. Will it fit in the non Si transmission?

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Yes it will. If it comes with a ring gear, it fits right in, you’ll just need to shim the bearings for clearance. If it’s a 2020 Si LSD, with the ring gear, you’ll need the 2020 Si countershaft to match the ratio. You’ll also need the intermediate shaft and the driver’s side axle since the Si LSD won’t work with the non-Si axle.

Reactions: Myx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
I installed the mfactory one on my sport hatch. So far, so good. I haven't been able to really push it since I'm e-tuning with @D-RobIMW.

I think it's the cheapest solution if you are in Europe. We don't have Si parts laying around here and customs taxes are quite high.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed the mfactory one on my sport hatch. So far, so good. I haven't been able to really push it since I'm e-tuning with @D-RobIMW.

I think it's the cheapest solution if you are in Europe. We don't have Si parts laying around here and customs taxes are quite high.

The Mfactory piece is also much much better then oem.
If i need to swap my clutch i'm going to install the Mfactory LSD as wel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To this day, i still have my mfactory LSD sitting in my shelf...
Car shops around me ate booked for the next couple months.
1 shop quoted me $3700+ to install clutch, lsd, camshaft, injectors, and hpfp..

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To this day, i still have my mfactory LSD sitting in my shelf...
Car shops around me ate booked for the next couple months.
1 shop quoted me $3700+ to install clutch, lsd, camshaft, injectors, and hpfp..
That’s insane, but shops are in the business of making money. i was quoted $800 to install one into a transmission that wasn’t even in the vehicle, so I bit the bullet and did it myself. With youtube, anything is (kinda) possible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s insane, but shops are in the business of making money. i was quoted $800 to install one into a transmission that wasn’t even in the vehicle, so I bit the bullet and did it myself. With youtube, anything is (kinda) possible
You put the LSD by your self? How was it? Any important pointer or notes to share? I may do it

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
both halves of the transmission case are the same part number for the latest gen manual civics and accords (minus 2022 civic and ctr) what is the need to machine down for si diff bearings?

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've installed a lsd on my old Civic .It isn't that hard.You need a press to press on the new bearings on the lsd and a torque wrench to bolt the final drive gear into the lsd.I believe the bolts of the final gear have a high torque setting higher then your wheel lug nuts.
You need to check the clearance between the casing and the bearings and shim if needed.Most of the time it isn't needed and the stock shim Will do.But casing castings arent all the same so...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You put the LSD by your self? How was it?
I've installed a lsd on my old Civic .It isn't that hard.You need a press to press on the new bearings on the lsd and a torque wrench to bolt the final drive gear into the lsd.I believe the bolts of the final gear have a high torque setting higher then your wheel lug nuts.
You need to check the clearance between the casing and the bearings and shim if needed.Most of the time it isn't needed and the stock shim Will do.But casing castings arent all the same so...
Sounds like i have to send this to the shop. When it comes to shimming, is that something I can do? Very minimal?

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like i have to send this to the shop. When it comes to shimming, is that something I can do? Very minimal?
Shimming is, as I understand, just a matter of measuring the clearances using a variety of tools and the manual and then buying the correct shim from an online dealer. I did it like second nature, but I also installed a turbo kit by myself in my garage for my 2015 Si. If you don’t feel comfortable with your measuring ability or ability to keep clean, be prepared to get demolished by a shop that has the ability. Transmission shop labor is expensive as hell generally. Beyond that, I have disassembled a L15B transmission (twice), so I can offer advice if you want to attempt it yourself. The service manual is mandatory.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
both halves of the transmission case are the same part number for the latest gen manual civics and accords (minus 2022 civic and ctr) what is the need to shim down for si diff bearings?
They’re even the same part number for the bearings. The reason for shimming is because not all cases are machined identically. They may come from the same cast, but their mating surfaces are machined.

The shims come in different thicknesses in 0.05mm increments to get the clearance in spec. Too much clearance and you might get a noise between on and off throttle (and irregular gear wear on the ring gear/pinion gear), too little clearance and you can bind up the bearings.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Transmission casings are the same part number… I just said that.. they are indeed the same.
Sponsored