Civic Si with 8 Speed DCT - Who would buy one?

Would you buy a Civic Si with an 8 Speed DCT?

• Total voters

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our 1.5t with 193hp (CRV version) is already offered with the 8 speed dct on the chinese Acura CDX, so it is ready to go. I still wouldn't vuy one but for sure ot is better than a CVT.
Sponsored

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
AS long as cars like the demon, gt350, z06, etc are being made the manual will live on. And this is like the golden era for horsepower so I doubt they’ll stop making cars like this anytime soon. If you think these cars will ever be only offered in automatic you’re crazy. Don’t care how much faster the auto is, there’s always gonna be a demand for manuals in sports cars.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
AS long as cars like the demon, gt350, z06, etc are being made the manual will live on. And this is like the golden era for horsepower so I doubt they’ll stop making cars like this anytime soon. If you think these cars will ever be only offered in automatic you’re crazy. Don’t care how much faster the auto is, there’s always gonna be a demand for manuals in sports cars.
FYI the Demon is automatic only ;).

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
That's lame..
Not really. It's a pure drag car. An automatic is faster in a straight line. It makes all the sense in the world for it to be automatic only.

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not really. It's a pure drag car. An automatic is faster in a straight line. It makes all the sense in the world for it to be automatic only.
Yea but still it would make the car a lot more fun if it was manual and plus what if you want to change the way the car is shifting

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yea but still it would make the car a lot more fun if it was manual and plus what if you want to change the way the car is shifting
The Demon is a straightline 1/4 mile beast. You don't want manual for this type of car; shifting in the straightline is easier, faster, and no chance of missing a gear. Also, the z06 for example has a stranger transmission with their paddle shift system. The manual z06 is weaker in comparison.

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
FYI the Demon is automatic only ;).
Lol sorry didn’t even know that tbh. I really meant to put hellcat but thought it would be better to use the newer one, and as stated above automatic is really the best option for drag racing. Especially if you’re trying to go under 10 seconds

Budgetplan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX, 2016 Civic Coupe, 2004 Corvette,
There are probably a lot of women that would buy an SI if it came with a DCT.
There are probably more married men who would buy the SI if it came with a DCT. That way, the wife could drive it.

Not to mention that it would eliminate the annoying "rev-hang".
Honda is really missing the mark on this.
Would defintaly upgrade wife's winter car to Si with DCT if available.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I don't want to read all 10 pages so sorry if this has been brought up. I can't blame it all on this reasoning but part of the reason the take rate is so low is how many options you have to get one. Did you want a 9th gen accord? Did you want a manual? Then you better have wanted a silver or black car (more colors were available later) or you better want a v6 coupe. Also if you wanted the I4 sedan you better not want many options... I bought a 13 accord brand new, NO WAY was I getting a black or silver car because they suck to keep looking good (although they DO look good when clean) so my option was to get something besides the accord or get stuck with the CVT. I chose the CVT and slightly hated myself for 3 years before I traded it in on my ext 6MT, give me 3 pedals forever! the clutch is so light in my civic traffic could never be a problem, aside from giving me a mild case of road rage...

Had a '13 WOP accord sport 6MT sedan existed there would've been one more manual sold that year at least... I actually almost got a 17 accord 6MT instead of my civic because I do really like the 9th gen accord looks but the tune-ability of the 1.5T was too tempting, at least this time I was able to get some options with my clutch pedal as well

Coaster Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Guy's I've been doing a lot of shopping around... and I really think Honda missed the mark by not offering the Civic Si with Acura's 8-Speed DCT Automatic.

Hyundai Elantra Sport and GT both have a DCT option, GTI, Acura ILX all have it.... I drive in so much traffic that it feels just about impossible to drive a manual transmission on the daily with my commute.

I applaud Honda for offering the manual transmission, but its 2018 in a few weeks and I think they need to get with the times and offer a DCT on the Si. I'm sure they would more than double their sales and the Si would be quicker 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile.

Whats your Vote?
Automatics are fine for washing machines and toothbrushes, but not sporty cars, imo. Half the fun of driving a car like the si is using the clutch and shifting gears. That said, if I had to drive often in heavy traffic like you do, I'd probably want a car with an automatic, so I certainly wouldn't mind Honda offering the DCT in the si if they thought there'd be a market for it.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Our civics have always had a super easy clutch’s to use. So I can’t take traffic being hard to drive in a reason to shy away from the manual. That’s just a ludicrous statement. It’s very simple to drive, even with traffic. I think that’s just a way for someone to justify to themselves that they can’t or shouldn’t drive one, or its to hard. Just excuses. Honda would ruin the Si’s Heritage sticking a automatic tranny in it. Oh and yes the Si has heritage, just like the almighty Type R. The Si used to be our Type R!

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yeah they would likely leave the Si manual-only and people who want an Si-like car with auto tranny might find one in some possible future version of Acura ILX (Type S) or something along those lines...
The Si should remain the Si, no reason for messing with that, they can always come up with another trim or model instead of screwing up the decades-long legacy.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The other thing that would happen is that you’d end up with way more DCTs for sale because those would be the ones that people would actually buy. They’d say they wanted three pedals, but then they’d get to the showroom and they’d buy the DCT because “traffic.” You’d end up with 6 DCTs and one or zero manuals for sale in your local market when you went to buy one. That is how it is with the GTI. That is how it is with the Sport Hatch manual, at least in my market. If companies are serious about saving manuals then they can’t walk down the road of offering autos. It will crowd out everything else. It is maybe the one thing in the world that hasn’t yet been ruined by corporations selling out for the good of shareholders. Honda and Ford actually made a decision to sell fewer cars because someone, somewhere said let’s make something for people who still care about driving. (And because they already sold a bunch of regular Civics and Focuses). And if you need an auto Honda makes the ILX (a tarted up Si with DCT), the EX-T, the Sport and Sport Touring hatches.

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Country flag
Very bias. What stats to prove what you're saying or just your opinion? Someone lock this thread already zzzzz. Ssdd.
*agrument about manual being better because more fun*
*agruement about autos being faster and traffic*
Everything is relative to perspective and people keep trying to prove a point getting mad annoying because they don't have it in auto so you can make assumptions but to what avail? They have different options other than the Si that's pretty much an Si, just buy that shit and stop saying how you'll get an Si if it was in auto. Maybe they'll be a hit or maybe they won't, who the fuck knows?
I think he was agreeing with you for the most part...and the thread is good fun - why so serious?
Sponsored