Civic Si with 8 Speed DCT - Who would buy one?

Would you buy a Civic Si with an 8 Speed DCT?

• Total voters

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Look you're not getting my point. I've edited my post go read that. They just won't do it because there's not enough money in it. If you want a fucking automatic Si so bad, get 1000 real buyers, not potential, to sign a petition and they'll make it for you :). Good luck because those 1000 real buyers are actually like 50 in North America.
Well, we won't know until they actually do it, which they will sooner or later. What makes the Si any different from cars like the GTI, Cooper S, WRX, Abarth, FRS/BRZ, etc? They all appeal to similar demographics, so it's not a stretch to imagine that it could be a NPV positive project, like it has been for all the other automakers.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Look you're not getting my point. I've edited my post go read that. They just won't do it because there's not enough money in it. If you want a fucking automatic Si so bad, get 1000 real buyers, not potential, to sign a petition and they'll make it for you :). Good luck because those 1000 real buyers are actually like 50 in North America.
well, how would honda know if there isn't any money in it if they have never released it. I can bet there are some people who doesn't go for the Si because it is a manual transmission.

Me personally, I hope they keep the SI as a manual only like they have always done.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was the 7th gen Si and they had major problems with the auto transmission
You know what makes them different? Because they're different cars made by different companies.

They have made an automatic way back, they killed it off. Times are changing etc, but they're probably going to keep manual only for awhile. I'm not denying that some people would get an automatic Si, but the logistics of getting the car to that rare buyer's hands is another story. How many people do you think actually get Miatas, BRZs, WRXs in automatic? When they make it in auto, guaranteed less manual buyers... and not because they got auto. What if they made too much and they sell like shit? Deflate the Si's value.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got sales stats?
None that I can find but look at all the 7th gen forums. They talk about how bad the transmissions are and the nunerous problems they had.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
They have made an automatic way back, they killed it off. Times are changing etc, but they're probably going to keep manual only for awhile. I'm not denying that some people would get an automatic Si, but the logistics of getting the car to that rare buyer's hands is another story. How many people do you think actually get Miatas, BRZs, WRXs in automatic? When they make it in auto, guaranteed less manual buyers... and not because they got auto. What if they made too much and they sell like shit? Deflate the Si's value.
Miata, BRZ, WRX, SI , these cars do not cater to only us enthusiasts who prefer a manual transmission. There are more non enthusiasts in the world compared to us enthusiasts.
I can bet they will sell more if they make the SI in automatic. At least around where I am, I see a lot more automatic BRZ/86, WRX, Miatas over manual transmission ones.
You think the S2000 sales numbers would've went up if they produced an automatic version? I bet it would have.

Seeing a manual transmission car in general is just much more rare nowadays. How many 2018 accord manuals you think they will sell? Most Accord buyers will buy the automatic version of them instead. Yet, honda has decided to keep the manual transmission for the Accords so it wouldn't be surprising if they do bring out a SI with an automatic.
The only reason why I don't think Honda will release one is not because of sales but to keep the "trend" going with the SI not having an automatic option.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You know what makes them different? Because they're different cars made by different companies.
Textbook example of a red herring.

Of course they're different (literally), but they compete in the same segment, so it's entirely relevant, kid.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I honestly believe everyone should learn how to drive manual because I am guessing most people do not nowadays. It's something that is useful.

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I honestly believe everyone should learn how to drive manual because I am guessing most people do not nowadays. It's something that is useful.
Unless you travel outside of north America. All rental cars are automatics. I have known how to drive stick for many years... and now frankly I cant really be bothered to row my own. DCT's shift so fast and I like paddle shifters better.

Manual trans is almost dead...

jms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '21 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Faster is very subjective when you're comparing manual vs automatic on a same model car, considering all the factors such as the driver learning the manual trans on 1 specific car, then to time it on the track vs driving with sport paddles, without sufficient time to "understand" every gear, automatic is going to win because it's easier off the bat. As of right now, no DCT shifts the instant you press the sport paddles every time. The only time I would get a automatic is if in x years they become god like at shifting, the car doesn't offer it in manual, or the car is "too fast" for manual. Driving an automatic is just so fucking boring lmao. Gas mileage is a bit higher but cruse at low RPM all the time and you'll save pretty much nothing for getting an automatic, then again getting a sports car in automatic to save gas is a prank. It's really personal preference, but unless I'm getting a at least 500WHP car, I don't see a need for an automatic transmission, you're actually not doing anything when you're driving automatic. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of cars where the Auto is slower than the Manual even in a straight line like the Mustang, they don't always program it well.

WRX has a CVT lol, most who know what a CVT is is not going to get an automatic WRX because... why? I just don't see anyone the WRX is targeted for wanting one, CVT's are just unnatural. When you compare the Si to EX-T civics, it's not the same story. One is meant as an economy car and the other is an economy car gone bad, I'm sure their max speed on a turn is dramatically different. The Civic Si is a sports car, but I don't think they ever intended for it to be high horsepower, just more for handling to make you feel good like the BRZ. The Si is also a very good car to learn the fundamentals of Motorsports on. If they ever do put an automatic on the Si, it better not be a fucking CVT lol. DCT is going to be sad face on wallet.

You don't want all the driving assistance, it's going to be annoying. Leather not gonna hold you on them turns.
Why in the world would you think you know what I want? You're entire post could not be more wrong. I have the touring trim with Honda Sensing and I'm very pleased with it. As far as leather not being able to hold me "on them turns", that would only possibly be a problem if I tracked my car or drove like an idiot 18 year old kid, neither of which applies to me.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why in the world would you think you know what I want? You're entire post could not be more wrong. I have the touring trim with Honda Sensing and I'm very pleased with it. As far as leather not being able to hold me "on them turns", that would only possibly be a problem if I tracked my car or drove like an idiot 18 year old kid, neither of which applies to me.
Don't worry, he's at that age where he thinks he has everything figured out. He'll grow out of it (I hope).

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it would be cool if it came with a dct, and it would probably be a lot of fun to drive and they would sell alot more, all that is true, but the problem is they would hardly make any of them manual anymore.. just like the accord sport, or the civic ext manual. They rarely show up. The si fits a nitche market that gets to the true driver enthusiast who like a stick for all others i think the civic ext is perfect for them. So no being as one that sold Honda's for a long time untill as of recently I don't think they should make it an automatic because the manuals would be next to impossible to find, and there is something special of having a true manual car

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
It's definitely gatekeeping but I think it's cool that they're only available in manual. When I see other Si drivers I know they're driving stick too, and I like that. I put quite a bit of work into learning to drive stick semi-decently and it's rewarding to now have a car that I wouldn't be able to drive if I hadn't done that.

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's definitely gatekeeping but I think it's cool that they're only available in manual. When I see other Si drivers I know they're driving stick too, and I like that. I put quite a bit of work into learning to drive stick semi-decently and it's rewarding to now have a car that I wouldn't be able to drive if I hadn't done that.
I'm right there with you man, this is my first stick and I've had it for 2 days now so it's taking me some time but it's very rewarding and fun to learn. Plus I think most people know Sis only come stick so they tend to back off more when on a hill and such

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
Haha I've had a few people right up my rear end on a hill, thankfully there's brake hold for that. I learned in my wife's 8th gen Civic and there's no get out of jail free card in that car. Chirped the tires a couple times trying not to hit the guy behind me :D
Sponsored