Civic Si with 8 Speed DCT - Who would buy one?

Would you buy a Civic Si with an 8 Speed DCT?

• Total voters

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Someone mentioned the CVT WRX . :coffee: The Subaru unit must be pretty bad.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru-wrx-automatic-test-review
I never said it was good. My point was that Si competitors like the WRX and GTI now offer automatic versions, which means it likely makes business sense. It's not unfathomable that Honda may choose to do the same with the Si as well at some point. Purists who opt for the manual make up such a small part of the total addressable market.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I've read from YouTube comments that people who've driven both opted for the manual because it was faster. Good luck replicating quoted results in non specialized environments.

EDIT: was also the Ecoboost.
The newer ones(automatics) have launch control. I think that's where most of the difference comes from.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si has less comfort features and rides stiffer, for a higher price (in Canada at least). Majority of people getting an automatic family car isn't going to want an Si. Automatic is the small fraction of potential Si buyers.
I guess that's why rawer and more performance oriented cars like the FRS/BRZ, Miata, and 500 Abarth all come with automatics as an option.

Also...not quite sure a Civic Couple is a family car...

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
My problem with Acura's DCT is that it has a torque converter making it more inefficient than a DCT alone. What I mean is that less power is put into the ground thanks to that pairing.
I'm pretty sure the torque converter only works at low speeds to improve off-the-line acceleration and reduce the jerky low-speed behavior of most DCTs. I think that once you're up and running, it drops out of the picture.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...rbo-engines-8-speed-dct-with-torque-converter

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
TBH Not sure why you mentioned a coupe(couple) :)

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know either; I think I misread a post ;).

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
LOL

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I don't think an automatic Si would be a bad idea. Making less money to not upset purists would/must be a tough pill for Honda to swallow. After owning automatics all my driving life, I knew I wanted a manual. But if I didn't want a manual, an auto Si would have still been on my short list of affordable, fun, compact cars.

An automatic Si would still be so much more than a EX-T auto. My Bmw 540 was available in two flavors, sport and non-sport. The differences were worth the price differential.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
^I'm afraid they'd (Honda) would take the easy route and throw a CVT in it. A DCT with launch control would be nice. The 10 speed auto in the new Accord is getting decent reviews too.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If they want to sell automatics idc, how is this relevant? The BRZ is a car itself, Miata is a car itself, the Si is a Civic. Idek what the last one is it's weird af. Coupe is based off Sedan Civic, just removed 2 doors.
Your reasoning was that a car that has "less comfort features and rides stiffer" wouldn't appeal to people who would get an automatic. The cars I listed are even less comfortable and even stiffer than the Si, yet they all have automatic options, so it would appear your assertion has more than a few holes in it.
Sponsored