pepsimaxx

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
After a few months of a 2020 Civic Si ownership, i'm feeling the itch for a little bit more. I understand that the Veloster Turbo is a more comparable comparison, however a FBO Civic Si is very close to the price of a Veloster N.

MSRP for the Si is at $25,200
Ktuner or Hondata runs you 500-700
Cold air intake is 300-400
Exhaust systems are 800-1000
You could also include an intercooler upgrade, or dp/fp as well.

At this point we're just over $27k, which is the starting price of the Veloster N, and would likely put you at a comparable power level as well.
However, this is also a point where many people experience clutch slip, so there's another $1000-1500.

I think it's fair to say that from a practicality standpoint the Si has it beat, however the value proposition for performance seems incredible for Hyundai.

I think it's important to add the 10 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty included with Hyundai as well.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One discouraging thing, about the Veloster N, is it's gas mileage.

For me, a vehicle is a long term relationship ... so, between gas mileage, and the interior experience feeling like a cheap plastic coffin, I went straight to the Honda Dealership!

That said ... I did enjoy driving the Veloster N ... but couldn't see paying that much for such a cheap interior, that made me feel like I was steering from inside a cave.

forum_user

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 fz-07
Country flag
Depending on where you are in the country, Veloster Ns can be had at some steep discounts too. I remember seeing in The Topher’s 2020 si video from some months ago that Ns were going for 25k new in his area, and that’s with the performance package (if I remember correctly). Hyundai is having trouble moving them. I’d still personally take an si for the fuel economy, long term reliability and practicality, but for 25k a veloster N is waaaay more bang for the buck from a performance standpoint.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
The Veloster N seems like a sweet ride. I've watched quite a few videos on it. It's trying to compete with the Type R, so from an SI I would totally go for it!

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
I traded my R for a veloster N and the only thing I miss from the type R is the extra space. Besides that, the car is just great.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
Wow that’s pretty surprising. What made you switch?
I just wanted to try something different but without losing performance, I had a 2017 type r and it started to have some transmission lockouts that got annoying after the dealerships couldn’t fix the issue after a while. A friend already had a Veloster N and after He let me drive it for a weekend, I just liked the sound and feel of the car. The type r at times felt like a toy that I didn’t want to break or scratch because of the “rarity” ? and yes it is faster than the N. But one thing with the N , is that is just small and fun from the factory. The car exhaust sounds great and is a quick car overall. I will eventually move back to the next generation type r when it comes back again just because I loved my type r but I am happy So far with the performance of the N.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Yeah I wouldn’t think of the N as comparable to the Si. It’s all around performance is pretty much always compared to cars like the Type R, STI, and Golf R

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
After a few months of a 2020 Civic Si ownership, i'm feeling the itch for a little bit more. I understand that the Veloster Turbo is a more comparable comparison, however a FBO Civic Si is very close to the price of a Veloster N.

What do you guys think?
I regret everyday not buying the Veloster N over the SI. I had the choice and went with the safe pick (the SI). After awhile I have got bored with the SI. I think it just lacks character compared to the Vel N. I'm probably going to wait until the Elantra N comes out and trade in my SI.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Did you consider a Subaru WRX? $23-25K brand new and super low finance charge.
I was considering buying a new car but my car is paid off and can't beat great mileage.

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
One discouraging thing, about the Veloster N, is it's gas mileage.
24mpg is really is quite bad considering the CTR got 25mpg while being much bigger, making 40-50hp more, and having a lot more down force aero trim. My car is making a good 100hp more than the N PP, but it still averages 25-26mpg.

OP
OP
pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Did you consider a Subaru WRX? $23-25K brand new and super low finance charge.
I was considering buying a new car but my car is paid off and can't beat great mileage.
I’ve definitely thought about it, but I really don’t need AWD in California and I think it’s worth waiting to see what the 2021 model brings

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Anyone considering the Veloster should consider waiting for the Kona N, it'll have AWD, 5 doors and a better interior. I'd much rather have the i30N than Kona N or Veloster, or new Elantra N. But it doesn't seem like we'll get it in the US.

Kona N spy shots.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si vs Veloster N 2C5C28FD-3468-4787-8809-CC217C2A08A7

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si vs Veloster N 5554F14C-797C-478F-BEEF-06658FD1E0DA

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

MSRP for the Si is at $25,200
Ktuner or Hondata runs you 500-700
Cold air intake is 300-400
Exhaust systems are 800-1000
You could also include an intercooler upgrade, or dp/fp as well.

At this point we're just over $27k, which is the starting price of the Veloster N, and would likely put you at a comparable power level as well.
However, this is also a point where many people experience clutch slip, so there's another $1000-1500.

I think it's fair to say that from a practicality standpoint the Si has it beat, however the value proposition for performance seems incredible for Hyundai.

I think it's important to add the 10 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty included with Hyundai as well.

What do you guys think?
The Veloster N is in my top 3. However, that said, @cameron.hill did a quick review on his youtube channel and said it was just okay. Give it a watch.
Sponsored