0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Anybody thinking about getting one when it comes out? I'm super tempted but I already spent a decent amount of money on my Si. I wouldn't mind the convenience of an automatic though since my girlfriend absolutely refuses to learn how to drive manual. The Mazda 3 interior is super nice I've heard and a 2.5T awd could be a fairly quick car!
Sponsored

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Anybody thinking about getting one when it comes out? I'm super tempted but I already spent a decent amount of money on my Si. I wouldn't mind the convenience of an automatic though since my girlfriend absolutely refuses to learn how to drive manual. The Mazda 3 interior is super nice I've heard and a 2.5T awd could be a fairly quick car!
I am a Mazda die hard and was thinking about this too before I decided to buy out the lease on my Si. The problems with the Mazda 3 is A. The price starts at over $30k and B. Car still has a rear beam axle which ultimately hurts the ride quality. My wife drive a 2.5T CX-9 so I can only imagine how much fun a car weight 1000 lbs less would be. Mazda has definitely went more upscale so they do have a nicer interior cabin compared to the Honda.

Secretly I am waiting for the new Mazda 6 to see if the rumors are true that it will be rear wheel drive and with an inline engine.

OP
OP

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I am a Mazda die hard and was thinking about this too before I decided to buy out the lease on my Si. The problems with the Mazda 3 is A. The price starts at over $30k and B. Car still has a rear beam axle which ultimately hurts the ride quality. My wife drive a 2.5T CX-9 so I can only imagine how much fun a car weight 1000 lbs less would be. Mazda has definitely went more upscale so they do have a nicer interior cabin compared to the Honda.

Secretly I am waiting for the new Mazda 6 to see if the rumors are true that it will be rear wheel drive and with an inline engine.
I have heard that despite the torsion beam, it still handles pretty well and feels pretty nice, Mazda always has some sort of suspension sorcery that makes all their cars handle well. The price is probably the thing that concerns me, but could be a good buy if it's used, yes?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’d like to look at one eventually. For years people have been saying the 3 and 6 have been great cars... except. And the except was always a lack of power. If that’s gone now... then it ought to be towards the top of the heap against the competition.

OP
OP

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’d like to look at one eventually. For years people have been saying the 3 and 6 have been great cars... except. And the except was always a lack of power. If that’s gone now... then it ought to be towards the top of the heap against the competition.
Absolutely, and honestly I've always liked the 3 hatchback look a bit more than the 10th civic hatch look

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have heard that despite the torsion beam, it still handles pretty well and feels pretty nice, Mazda always has some sort of suspension sorcery that makes all their cars handle well. The price is probably the thing that concerns me, but could be a good buy if it's used, yes?
I've test driven the new 3 several times. Even with the torsion beam I enjoyed the car very much. Compared to my 3rd gen 3, I'd say that it does slant a bit more towards luxury vs sport, but it's still fun to drive. I also find the power to be perfectly fine in the current 3, and I'm sure the turbo will make it spicy to drive.

The automatic IMO is fine. If you desire more control you can use manual mode and sport mode turns the transmission into one that's much more eager to rev and hold gears.

The Mazda 6 with the turbo is super hot, and so was the CX-5. I cannot wait to see it in the 3. Unfortunately I have to wait a few years but it might be an option down the road depending on how things turn out.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I was looking for a car, I had it narrowed down to the Mazda3 Hatchback Select and the Civic Si.
Things that drew me towards the Mazda: very upscale interior and good looks
Things that drew me toward the Civic Si: Manual Transmission, LSD, tight suspension, bolstered seats, and gas mileage

I haven't regretted my choice for a single moment.

If Mazda had come out with this 2.5 turbo at that time ... I'd have had a MUCH more difficult decision.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When I was looking for a car, I had it narrowed down to the Mazda3 Hatchback Select and the Civic Si.
Things that drew me towards the Mazda: very upscale interior and good looks
Things that drew me toward the Civic Si: Manual Transmission, LSD, tight suspension, bolstered seats, and gas mileage

I haven't regretted my choice for a single moment.

If Mazda had come out with this 2.5 turbo at that time ... I'd have had a MUCH more difficult decision.
I think the biggest difference now is not just that high output turbo. It's the fact it's AWD. That makes it a pretty compelling package for 30K.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If the 3 hatch had either a 6mT turbo AWD, or a 6mT non-turbo with an LSD, I might have bought it. The interior and seats are fantastic, and it looks sharp in person up close, it looks very odd in pictures or from far away on the road.

But neither is available.

In my experience owning BMWs, the nice interiors you appreciate for about a year, then you don't care. So best not to buy a sporty car cause of a nice interior.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
If the 3 hatch had either a 6mT turbo AWD, or a 6mT non-turbo with an LSD, I might have bought it. The interior and seats are fantastic, and it looks sharp in person up close, it looks very odd in pictures or from far away on the road.

But neither is available.

In my experience owning BMWs, the nice interiors you appreciate for about a year, then you don't care. So best not to buy a sporty car cause of a nice interior.
That’s why Mazda really needs to nail the driving experience. I live life on both sides of the spectrum. I have my basic ass Civic hatchback sport and an M235i. The M is a better car in every way on paper, but it’s a rather soulless driving experience. It’s just ok. I nearly never drive it in favor of my Civic because it just feels better driving it. There’s character to it and I can feel the road.

If Mazda adds all this power while not making it a sportier drive, then I just don’t feel like the price will be warranted, especially if you can get a 6 for less money and more car.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I was seriously considering swapping my 10th gen for one of the new 3's once my lease is up. I read some reviews though and apparently the current 2.5 naturally aspirated engine they use in them feels sluggish according to motor trend and some other sites think car and driver said "mazda has lost it's zoom". Don't know how true it is but I really want to see for myself. I really love the way my 10th gen drives and can't see myself switching to a car with number driving dynamics, even my base model Civic handles so damn well. As far as the 2.5 turbo goes, I really don't know if it's financially sensible for me to shell out 30k + for a car that isn't even my primary vehicle, but we'll see.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was seriously considering swapping my 10th gen for one of the new 3's once my lease is up. I read some reviews though and apparently the current 2.5 naturally aspirated engine they use in them feels sluggish according to motor trend and some other sites think car and driver said "mazda has lost it's zoom". Don't know how true it is but I really want to see for myself. I really love the way my 10th gen drives and can't see myself switching to a car with number driving dynamics, even my base model Civic handles so damn well. As far as the 2.5 turbo goes, I really don't know if it's financially sensible for me to shell out 30k + for a car that isn't even my primary vehicle, but we'll see.
I test drove it and it’s true. What’s crazy is it’s the same 2.5L Skyactiv from the previous generation and it felt plenty quick in my 2016 3, but the 2019 3 was so slow off the line. Like ridiculously, painfully slow. It has more power than the 1.5 turbo, but seriously doesn’t feel like it.

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought about getting it.... but then no 6 speed soooo noppeee. i miss my speed 3. i do like the looks and interior finish. I think its smaller than the si well at least i feel like it is when i sat in one.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I test drove it and it’s true. What’s crazy is it’s the same 2.5L Skyactiv from the previous generation and it felt plenty quick in my 2016 3, but the 2019 3 was so slow off the line. Like ridiculously, painfully slow. It has more power than the 1.5 turbo, but seriously doesn’t feel like it.
I didn't think there was a drastic difference when I test drove a gen4 versus the gen3 I bought. I noticed the gen4 one was a bit more lazy but not like enough to say it was drastically slower. Which version / trim did you test drive?

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't think there was a drastic difference when I test drove a gen4 versus the gen3 I bought. I noticed the gen4 one was a bit more lazy but not like enough to say it was drastically slower. Which version / trim did you test drive?
The base model, which was all that was available at the time. It was right when they started hitting the lots. It could be I had the 2016 Mazda3 GT and it was tuned more aggressively than a base model 2019. And it didn’t handle as well either.
Sponsored