OP
OP
AK_FORTY_KEVIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
It seems that the general consensus everywhere I look is that VW/Audi 'sport' cars are great, but dump them as soon as you get all the fun you can out of it. I listen to previous owners perspectives much more than some magazine.
Sponsored

Rgonaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1995 240sx
I leased two previous elantras. Looked hard at the elantra sport. Did not like the Elantra's steering, and gas pedal. LSD is important to me. Spent the extra 3k for the civic si.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Have a lot of friends back in Europe that had Audis and VWs. Expensive to repair when out of warranty. My best friend had a very well maintained 1.8T A4 Quattro. Man was it a gas guzzler. 200k on the clock and they don't want it anymore, even though the handling and engine/tranny are like new, anything else that fails on those cars is so expensive to repair. VW's people can't run away fast enough once they start hitting the 100ks. Mother owns a Hyundai Accent.1.3L bought in 2004 cheap repairs reliable, done easily on the highway 80mphs no problems. I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability on the Koreans. Every sane person that values their money either switches to Japanese or Korean.(look how much Kia stepped up their game and the pressure they apply to Japanese and American car makers) And those that drive German cars and value their money and time baby their cars and don't abuse them. (And when they do, they consciously make a decision that might come with consequences) I find it's all a lifestyle choice. What do you want in life? How do you want to live it ? There is no right or wrong choice when buying a car. But then again every car manufacturer has stepped up their game in the past 5 years. Seems like every vehicle of the top competing brands in each segment are close to each other with small positives giving the edge over the other brands vehicles.

Last edited:

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
It seems that the general consensus everywhere I look is that VW/Audi 'sport' cars are great, but dump them as soon as you get all the fun you can out of it. I listen to previous owners perspectives much more than some magazine.
Thanks to our VW experience, I'm staying away from VW/Audi as well. Ours was a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6, which was a fantastic car in many ways, but was unreliable and expensive to fix. Recent Audis are getting high marks for reliability, but I won't be convinced until they've maintained that reliability past 100k. Even then, they're too expensive for me to consider seriously.

Among the cars the OP considered, I think the FoST is often under appreciated. It has some notable flaws, but it's a great driver's car with surprisingly decent ride quality, and the base model can be had for about $22k. In top ST3 trim, it's more generously equipped than the Si, and I've seen ST3s offered for around $27k, which is a steal. It's too bad the Recaro seats are so confining, and that Ford continues to have quality and reliability issues.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm looking for a new car in the coming months, and am looking for something more performance oriented. I know all have their flaws, whether it be price, features, mechanical stuff (i.e. clutch, turbo, etc.), but which is the all around best car?
Curious, did you ever buy a new car?

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Interesting note: VW just extended their bumper to bumper warranty to 6 years 72k miles on all their cars except for the e-Golf (yes, that includes the GTI and Golf R).

Seems to me they're serious about wanting to prove to consumers that their cars are no longer unreliable.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Si cause there is no replacement for displacement unless you got the turbo. There is a reason Honda is The Power of Dreams. Elantra if you can get a good deal close to 20k driveout..but even then, i paid 21,4 after taxes for my LX and it's loaded to the gills, even has Honda Sensing. The question really becomes which dealer will give you the best deal.

Last edited:

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Si cause there is no replacement for displacement unless you got the turbo. There is a reason Honda is The Power of Dreams. Elantra if you can get a good deal close to 20k driveout..but even then, i paid 21,4 after taxes for my LX and it's loaded to the gills, even has Honda Sensing. The question really becomes which dealer will give you the best deal.
What? Everyone else is also turbo'd AND they have more displacement.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
What? Everyone else is also turbo'd AND they have more displacement.
But, imo, Honda wins due to new body style of hatch.

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
Thanks to our VW experience, I'm staying away from VW/Audi as well. Ours was a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6, which was a fantastic car in many ways, but was unreliable and expensive to fix. Recent Audis are getting high marks for reliability, but I won't be convinced until they've maintained that reliability past 100k. Even then, they're too expensive for me to consider seriously.

Among the cars the OP considered, I think the FoST is often under appreciated. It has some notable flaws, but it's a great driver's car with surprisingly decent ride quality, and the base model can be had for about $22k. In top ST3 trim, it's more generously equipped than the Si, and I've seen ST3s offered for around $27k, which is a steal. It's too bad the Recaro seats are so confining, and that Ford continues to have quality and reliability issues.
I had a GLX too, fun car, I'm totally with you on repair costs parts were pricy even buying them on German Auto parts website. The front calipers and rotors cost me 700 bucks doing everything myself. I owned 6 Vdubs everyone a pain in my ass, that's what steered me away from the new GTI...

TurnOne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn, Civic Sedan Touring, JK Rubicon X
GTI is the best all around car IMO. I bought one. Subtle outside looks (personal preference) and very high quality interior. Pretty good MPG on the highway. These have been selling at 6k off list recently. German cars aren't perfect but man the overall fit and finish along with sporty but compliant ride quality. I'm getting older (45) so I'm biased to ride comfort more than others.
SI is probably the smartest decision. Good price. Good resale. Good/great expected reliability. Great MPG. Selling for 2500 off list when I was shopping a couple weeks ago. Personal preference the sedan is uglier than previous generations. Coupe still looks great, but 4 doors are easier.
ST is an amazing car from what I see, never driven one but recommend you drive one before buying and make sure pavement is not perfectly smooth to experience the true day in and day out feeling.
WRX. I had an EVO IX MR and similar car. MPG is terrible 18-24 max. Short range gets old quick for me.
Hyundai, poor resale value and not much community support. Not worth the discount to me.
Sponsored