Civic Si vs Elantra Sport vs FoST vs GTI vs WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
I'm looking for a new car in the coming months, and am looking for something more performance oriented. I know all have their flaws, whether it be price, features, mechanical stuff (i.e. clutch, turbo, etc.), but which is the all around best car?
Sponsored

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm looking for a new car in the coming months, and am looking for something more performance oriented. I know all have their flaws, whether it be price, features, mechanical stuff (i.e. clutch, turbo, etc.), but which is the all around best car?
I would say for the money Elantra sport. I believe in the states they are like 22k plus discounts. GTI over Si unless you need room and STi is a complete different class. All depends on you budget.

OP
OP
AK_FORTY_KEVIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say for the money Elantra sport. I believe in the states they are like 22k plus discounts. GTI over Si unless you need room and STi is a complete different class. All depends on you budget.
I would say for the money, Elantra Sport is a great package, looks good, but I just don't know much about Hyundai. GTI is great, and I can afford it, but i would rather not pay a ton of time and money in what may or may not happen. I like the WRX, but for it to be comparable to the ES or Si, you end up paying $5k+ for the added features.

FoST is added because its the other car in the segment LOL. All the the car mags pit these cars together in their grueling tests, but to daily in heavy traffic, I'm leaning towards Si, ES, GTI.

OP
OP
AK_FORTY_KEVIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But just looking to see what everyone else thinks about the match-up as a whole. There are a threads that were like this before the Si came out, and now it is here, how does it stack up in you guys opinions?

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Hyundai :The resale on the Hyundai is horrendous. Any money you save over the others will be lost the minute you drive it off the lot. I buy and sell every 2.5 years or so which took that off my list. The exhaust note is very nice, good mileage. If you want a sunroof or dual climate like the SI you have to buy it in a package which adds 2,500 to the base Sport. Also the steering is vague with little feedback.

WRX: Fantastic car in the rain and snow. Fast and fun. Shifter is awful to say the least. Subaru offers the STI short throw which is a must. Mine loved gas(avg 24MPG) My SI gets 40 on the same commute. Car only comes with summer tires which will need to be changed where you live in the winter.

Focus ST. Really liked this one! Good looking, engine makes all the right sounds. The dash is dated and overdone IMO. Again if you want a sunroof(I love them) you have to get the 401 Recaro package which adds over 4K to the price.

GTI: The bland exterior styling kept me from buying one. The car is amazing behind the wheel! I think it looks very dated and boring. We already have an A3 as well which is basically a GTI underneath.

SI. Wonderful chassis and steering. Solid brakes, good gas mileage. Great shifter and seats. Lacks the power of the GTI, WRX and ST. The infotainment system is appallingly bad from a touch/response perspective. Hard to believe the put it out that way. I wish the car had a more sporting exhaust note like my previous SI's did.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bear in mind that all but the Si and the Elantra Sport are due for refreshes.

Between the two, Elantra is definitely the overall initial value winner. Refinement + resale value + mod/enthusiast community + better interior quality would lean me towards the Si.

GTI, FoST, & WRX are all classically good cars though too.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Hyundai :The resale on the Hyundai is horrendous. Any money you save over the others will be lost the minute you drive it off the lot. I buy and sell every 2.5 years or so which took that off my list. The exhaust note is very nice, good mileage. If you want a sunroof or dual climate like the SI you have to buy it in a package which adds 2,500 to the base Sport. Also the steering is vague with little feedback.

Your points are a bit off. Mileage is apparently not the best but the steering is great. You also get HID standard and leather. Anything you drive off the lot with drop like crazy in value. If you plan on keeping the car for a while I wouldn't worry about resale.

OP
OP
AK_FORTY_KEVIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And that's my concern with the Elantra. With the Si there is a major aftermarket. The Elantra I know nothing about other than what it comes with and how quickly it depreciates. But from videos, and on paper (yea I know not the best sources), it seems to be a good car with the other pocket rockets. But not so sure 10 years from now it would be, where as there are a bunch of The others around.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Last edited:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Your points are a bit off. Mileage is apparently not the best but the steering is great. You also get HID standard and leather. Anything you drive off the lot with drop like crazy in value. If you plan on keeping the car for a while I wouldn't worry about resale.
I didn't like the lighter steering but maybe that's just a personal preference.

Last edited:

Bonestock91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Fit
Did you drive any of the others before purchasing? what made you choose the sport?
I'll never own a VW again due to a previous purchase. CIVIC si wasn't going to work for my l.a. commute. WRX has the God awful CVT that I can't stand and I have no need for awd. The sport has a dual clutch and is completely loaded with features that work great for a commuter car plus the 201 hp and cheap mods that can make this car sound and feel great made it a perfect fit. The price that they sell these cars for is astounding as well.

And yes I drove every car mentioned

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I've heard a lot of that from VW owners.:eek:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I've heard a lot of that from VW owners.:eek:
I had a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

It was the best car I ever had..... while it worked. Once the warranty was up I got rid of it with the quickness and will never buy another VW again.
Sponsored