Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
repost: I don't care.

Guys, update on on my car buy.
Today I had the Scion FR-S in for a 3rd party inspection finally. The salesman came in 15 minutes late to the appointment. Finally inspection started and then, they found some minor issues:
1. When the original coilovers were put back, apparently one of the springs were not set correctly responding in some "rubbing". (which explains why the car had a $1000 carfaxx report on it for the front bumper, they lowered the vehicle and scraped the front bumper on some speed bump)
2. One of the wheel studs had cross threading and the lug nut wouldn't come off.
3. Rear bumper had no bumper clips and was loose??
4. For a lease car, the leaser put blinking LEDs on the rear lights and never reversed them to stock. (salesman knew this)

I told the salesman "you guys did a 150 point inspection and there are these issues", and then, he proceeded to tell me that he would contact me later and left immediately.
SKETCHY. He had no idea what to say.

After all that and how adamant they were about their own inspection.. Just no reason to trust any dealership with CPO vehicles. This 55 point inspection revealed more than their own 150 point inspection with "certified" technicians. That's the term they kept telling me again and again when they stalled me for 30 minutes about a 3rd party inspection.
Honestly, stay away from that particular one... normally $1000 Carfax reports are nothing but there's something else about it that's not sitting right. If you can hold off I'd do it and try to find something else. Try looking a little outside your current area that might help. Good luck!
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Honestly, stay away from that particular one... normally $1000 Carfax reports are nothing but there's something else about it that's not sitting right. If you can hold off I'd do it and try to find something else. Try looking a little outside your current area that might help. Good luck!
Agree.

@Crovax find another example, it only sounds more and more sketchy.

06XTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Then you know some idiot didn't have it before you.

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
I'm still thinking about it. Other than the fact that these guys are not very pleasant, the mechanic told me that it was fine otherwise. I'm still waiting for them to contact me a full day later.. If they don't contact me by the weekend, I'll just leave the reviews they deserve. Don't know if I should talk to the manager at this point as the salesman is not very organized.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm still thinking about it. Other than the fact that these guys are not very pleasant, the mechanic told me that it was fine otherwise. I'm still waiting for them to contact me a full day later.. If they don't contact me by the weekend, I'll just leave the reviews they deserve. Don't know if I should talk to the manager at this point as the salesman is not very organized.
Are you trying to earn their business or are they trying to earn yours? Don't dilly dally so much with these salespeople, unless that's the perfect car and you gotta have it, you can and will definitely find another.

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
Are you trying to earn their business or are they trying to earn yours? Don't dilly dally so much with these salespeople, unless that's the perfect car and you gotta have it, you can and will definitely find another.
True but I made the mistake of contacting the manager for information yesterday. Now, they know for sure I'm interested.....

This is car has redeeming qualities, under 25k KM, 2016. Everything else in this price range is either way earlier model year or double the KM.

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
True but I made the mistake of contacting the manager for information yesterday. Now, they know for sure I'm interested.....

This is car has redeeming qualities, under 25k KM, 2016. Everything else in this price range is either way earlier model year or double the KM.
At the end of the day it's your money, like I said before if you can hold out do it. Otherwise looking at cars with higher kms shouldn't scare you. If they were taking care of I'd buy a higher mileage one as opposed to something that looks like it has been ridden hard.

If your gut says go for it then go for it. Don't make any decisions with your brain or heart, they can and will steer you wrong. The term "gut feeling" is accurate and will rarely steer you wrong.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I'd rather have a well maintained car with double the km than a car with half and potentially larger issues. Km is not the only metric in which you should base your purchase off of.

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
I see... All good points. But you think this is still a risk considering it checked out fine otherwise by my mechanic?

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see... All good points. But you think this is still a risk considering it checked out fine otherwise by my mechanic?
Honestly, go with how you feel. All I'm saying at least is that keep an eye open for anything that may come up. Don't let these idiots take your money easily!

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
Hey guys,

To finish this juicy story, I'm going to wrap it up. After all the sketchiness of this dealer, I ended up finding a 2017 Toyota 86 on autotrader from another dealership with 32,000km that had just put up their ad. I ended putting an offer for the car for 1500k less, for a total of 19.5K, $500 more than this FR-S.

The FR-S salesman told me that the report from the garage was ready and that I should come into the dealership to view it. (Why?? just send it to me). When I asked him if everything was fixed and that he should just send me the report, I also told him that I put an offer on another car.

His response? "I understand and will respect your decision. But you mean you might purchase a different vehicle after all of the work we've done for you?" Wow. They fixed the problems of their own car after I spent my own money having it inspected. After giving me such a hard time on a 3rd party inspection, the sales man has a entitled attitude.

I gave him a mature response with the facts.

The other dealership accepted my offer, and put a low trade in value for my car. I sold my car privately and bought the new car. Ended up saving more money in the end.

Everything worked out!

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey guys,

To finish this juicy story, I'm going to wrap it up. After all the sketchiness of this dealer, I ended up finding a 2017 Toyota 86 on autotrader from another dealership with 32,000km that had just put up their ad. I ended putting an offer for the car for 1500k less, for a total of 19.5K, $500 more than this FR-S.

The FR-S salesman told me that the report from the garage was ready and that I should come into the dealership to view it. (Why?? just send it to me). When I asked him if everything was fixed and that he should just send me the report, I also told him that I put an offer on another car.

His response? "I understand and will respect your decision. But you mean you might purchase a different vehicle after all of the work we've done for you?" Wow. They fixed the problems of their own car after I spent my own money having it inspected. After giving me such a hard time on a 3rd party inspection, the sales man has a entitled attitude.

I gave him a mature response with the facts.

The other dealership accepted my offer, and put a low trade in value for my car. I sold my car privately and bought the new car. Ended up saving more money in the end.

Everything worked out!
I'm glad it worked out! I hope you enjoy the hell outta that car! they are a blast to drive!
Sponsored