Civic Si Track Pad Options?

IHitCones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si
Country flag
How do you like the 1521's on the street compared to OEM? Do they squeal any? Better initial bite?Really pricey though at almost $400 for front and rear. Right now I have Porterfield R4S all around but am interested in possibly switching out.
They are pricey, the 1521's just went on this weekend and so far they work as advertised. Main reason for the purchase was the compound compatibility when switching out for the XP10/8's.
Sponsored

optimoprime

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fc3
Country flag
hoping anyone who was using the PowerStop trackday kit could chime in. i've done several track days but never in the civic. im hoping that this set up could last for 2-3 days of 20min sessions.

im sure there are better/more aggresive options but this setup is economical enough to get a few days under my belt and decide which other serious pads i want to invest in or try to move to a BBK if needed.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10718808&cc=3441616&pt=13824&jsn=962

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hoping anyone who was using the PowerStop trackday kit could chime in. i've done several track days but never in the civic. im hoping that this set up could last for 2-3 days of 20min sessions.

im sure there are better/more aggresive options but this setup is economical enough to get a few days under my belt and decide which other serious pads i want to invest in or try to move to a BBK if needed.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10718808&cc=3441616&pt=13824&jsn=962
Those pads will definitely not last 2-3 days of multiple 20 minute sessions. I burned through them in two 20 minute sessions in one day.

If you are planning on getting into serious HPDE/TT, you will need to go BBK. The problem has nothing to do with pad compound and everything to do with the fact that the civic has become a nearly 3k lb car with undersized and poorly ventilated stock rotors.

Then the problem with the BBK (I have the 27won kit on my Si) is finding wheels that will fit it. I got lucky and found someone selling a mismatched set of wedssport tc105n and tc105x, which fit very nicely.

Imo the civic makes a really bad hpde/TT car and an okay autocross car, but you just wont be competitive in stock class.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I spent about 3 years trying to make the car work for TT and it was a big money pit and I was constantly worrying about brake, clutch, knock and transmission (weak 4th gear) issues. Best advice you'll get is to keep your car stock for the road and get a miata for the track.

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey, welcome back @teders

I'm fairly certain I was able to pad fade a set of powerstop track day front pads on my very first track day at stock power levels. Probably OK for someone driving timidly for their first time out, but I think it's likely you'll be disappointed.

Powerstop might be OK on the rear of you're running with VSA off (pedal dance). I smoked a set of powerstop rears (still stock power) after 2x 25-min sessions--down to metal backing plates.

If you've added power, I would probably be looking at a carbotech XP10/Gloc R10 front minimum, and you'll probably still need to manage heat and do some brake cooldown when you feel the pedal getting long, depending on driving style.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag

If you're a well paced driver the trackday pads won't do, I don't recall if they make trackday spec pads or not for the front.

Something like a Gloc R10/12 would work well but if you're going to be doing more track days then a BBK will help on consumable cost in the long run. We sell one that uses 350Z rotors to keep consumable cost down with a very robust caliper. More than happy to answer any questions you have!

https://www.wunderladenracing.com/collections/10th-gen-civic/products/civic-x-big-brake-kit

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I spent about 3 years trying to make the car work for TT and it was a big money pit and I was constantly worrying about brake, clutch, knock and transmission (weak 4th gear) issues. Best advice you'll get is to keep your car stock for the road and get a miata for the track.
In my experience I've found it to be a great HPDE car, the only big obstacle is 3/4th gears not being up to extended use with 300wtq. Brakes are going to be a given mod for moderate or heavy track use on many cars and having to swap a clutch for even moderate power gains is annoying but not the end of the world by any means.

Even with a few suspension upgrades, good brakes, a handful of power mods, a clutch and a good wheel/tire combo I've found the car able to keep up with plenty of other capable track cars. There's been more than a few times now where guys who don't know me approach me after a session and ask what's done to my type R, only for me to tell them it's not a type R. Sure life would be more simple with a miata but a miata needs even more work to be just as fast, I've had a few of those as well and they're great training tools but 130hp and even less torque gets old pretty quickly.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're a well paced driver the trackday pads won't do, I don't recall if they make trackday spec pads or not for the front.

Something like a Gloc R10/12 would work well but if you're going to be doing more track days then a BBK will help on consumable cost in the long run. We sell one that uses 350Z rotors to keep consumable cost down with a very robust caliper. More than happy to answer any questions you have!

https://www.wunderladenracing.com/collections/10th-gen-civic/products/civic-x-big-brake-kit

In my experience I've found it to be a great HPDE car, the only big obstacle is 3/4th gears not being up to extended use with 300wtq. Brakes are going to be a given mod for moderate or heavy track use on many cars and having to swap a clutch for even moderate power gains is annoying but not the end of the world by any means.

Even with a few suspension upgrades, good brakes, a handful of power mods, a clutch and a good wheel/tire combo I've found the car able to keep up with plenty of other capable track cars. There's been more than a few times now where guys who don't know me approach me after a session and ask what's done to my type R, only for me to tell them it's not a type R. Sure life would be more simple with a miata but a miata needs even more work to be just as fast, I've had a few of those as well and they're great training tools but 130hp and even less torque gets old pretty quickly.
I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a replacement 3rd gear option available now? I had my 4th replaced with the HPD 4th and its been good to me.

I'll walk back my previous statement; a modded 10th gen si can be a good HPDE car, but once you start having to worry about class restrictions and trying to be competitive with the car, you realize the cars shortcomings.

The best move for me was to completely switch hobbies. Car racing is mega fun, but it's too expensive for such a small amount of seat time.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a replacement 3rd gear option available now? I had my 4th replaced with the HPD 4th and its been good to me.

I'll walk back my previous statement; a modded 10th gen si can be a good HPDE car, but once you start having to worry about class restrictions and trying to be competitive with the car, you realize the cars shortcomings.

The best move for me was to completely switch hobbies. Car racing is mega fun, but it's too expensive for such a small amount of seat time.
Yes RV6 has an upgraded 3rd and 4th gear combo for $700 that shouldn't ever fail with anything a stock turbo (or mildly larger turbo) can put out.

I will agree that there are few classes where a non type R can be competitive, Gridlife's ClubTR is one of the best options that I've seen but in most cases if you care about being competitive in a particular class a Type R makes more sense.

You're totally right that it's not a cheap hobby either, but the longer I've done it the more avenues I've found opened up to me. Instructing has gotten me lots of seat time and saved me a good chunk of cash while also being able to help others gain interest and further themselves along in the hobby :)
Sponsored