bnadeau73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I compete in an SCCA Solo stock class (G Street) in my 2017 Civic Si Coupe. The class rules require I keep the brake rotors and calipers like stock. Therefore, does anyone have track day or racing experience with stock style blank rotors and track pads, I am looking for ones that will hold up better than stock? I plan to do track day events where there will be heavy braking. What are my options for pads? I was considering Paragon R5 front and Paragon P3 rear, but it appears that Paragon may not make front pads for my model. I used to daily drive, autocross, and do track days with Hawk DTC-70 and DTC-60 on my ā€˜04 G35, thus Iā€™m ok with brake noise and dust, just looking for optimum performance both on the track and during autocross.
Sponsored

RHMS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPB(2x), 350z, Si
Blank rotors are fine. I use them on my street civic (which I track alot). I also use blanks on my Spec Boxster which I race in POC/PCA/NASA. Blanks are fine. I also use G-Loc brakes on all cars. For the Civic I run R8s all 4 corners.

OP
OP

bnadeau73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Blank rotors are fine. I use them on my street civic (which I track alot). I also use blanks on my Spec Boxster which I race in POC/PCA/NASA. Blanks are fine. I also use G-Loc brakes on all cars. For the Civic I run R8s all 4 corners.
By running the same pad both front and rear, have you had any issue with the rear locking up before the front? I was under the impression that itā€™s better to run a less aggressive pad in the rear, which is why I was considering Paragon R5 front and Paragon P3 rear.
Do you have a model of brake rotor that you prefer?

RHMS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPB(2x), 350z, Si
By running the same pad both front and rear, have you had any issue with the rear locking up before the front? I was under the impression that itā€™s better to run a less aggressive pad in the rear, which is why I was considering Paragon R5 front and Paragon P3 rear.
Do you have a model of brake rotor that you prefer?
I have had zero issues with any rear lockup (or abs interference). The idea of running a less aggressive pad in the rear is a pretty common setup. It can be car and track dependent. However, the civic doesn't feel like a car you need to stand on it's nose to be quick. The square setup feels nicely balanced under decel. I am not sure of the stock bias but it certainly has a forward heavy feel. Plus, it was the setup recommended by G-Loc.

IIRC, I am using the Centric rotors from Rock Auto. Generally all the known brands will demonstrate similar performance/reliability. I don't think the metallurgy among the top brands is vastly different. Just remember to glance over them pre and post track days for any significant cracking.

OP
OP

bnadeau73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have had zero issues with any rear lockup (or abs interference). The idea of running a less aggressive pad in the rear is a pretty common setup. It can be car and track dependent. However, the civic doesn't feel like a car you need to stand on it's nose to be quick. The square setup feels nicely balanced under decel. I am not sure of the stock bias but it certainly has a forward heavy feel. Plus, it was the setup recommended by G-Loc.

IIRC, I am using the Centric rotors from Rock Auto. Generally all the known brands will demonstrate similar performance/reliability. I don't think the metallurgy among the top brands is vastly different. Just remember to glance over them pre and post track days for any significant cracking.
Thanks for the advice!
How does the R8ā€™s perform when they are cold or slightly warm such as during autocross? Also, do you have a recommendation for where to get G-Loc pads?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I am not sure of the stock bias but it certainly has a forward heavy feel.
According to the factory service manual the system applies straight 50/50 to front and rear until the rear rotation is detected to be slower than the front, then it follows an algorithm to modulate rear pressure to keep front and rear rotation equivalent.

It's a very robust system, particularly against bias changes via brake pads or big brake kits.

RHMS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPB(2x), 350z, Si
Thanks for the advice!
How does the R8ā€™s perform when they are cold or slightly warm such as during autocross? Also, do you have a recommendation for where to get G-Loc pads?
The R8s still make a good day to day pad. They have stopping power while the pads are cold and rotors are cold. It seems they have a good temp operating range. I dont know the numbers but I am sure the temp operating range of the R8s would be easy to get.

I usually just call G-Loc directly.

G-LOC Brakes -

You can even discuss with them your particular application and they may make different recommendations. Great company to deal with.

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
I use powerstop track day rotors and pads on my 17 si for both track and autox, it's much better than stock and it's cheap. Pros, cheap, good bite, no fading. Cons, lots of dust, a bit noisy, don't last long ( 3 lapping days max)

OP
OP

bnadeau73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I use powerstop track day rotors and pads on my 17 si for both track and autox, it's much better than stock and it's cheap. Pros, cheap, good bite, no fading. Cons, lots of dust, a bit noisy, don't last long ( 3 lapping days max)
Wow, the price difference is fairly significant, G-Locā€™s are $400 + Centric Rotors $120 (RockAuto) = $520 vs Powerstop Track day kit (Rotors + Pads) = $219 (RockAuto) for everything. How can Powerstop come in at such a low price? I have to believe one is giving up something, is it longevity, brake modulation, or something else? Does the G-Loc pads have better longevity, or brake modulation, or...? I was pretty set on going with G-Locā€™s + Centric Rotors, but the price of the Powerstop kit is rather enticing. I donā€™t like the idea of replacing the kit after just three track days, but if the longevity of G-Locā€™s isnā€™t much better, then itā€™s a great deal. Has anyone compared these brakes?

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wow, the price difference is fairly significant, G-Locā€™s are $400 + Centric Rotors $120 (RockAuto) = $520 vs Powerstop Track day kit (Rotors + Pads) = $219 (RockAuto) for everything. How can Powerstop come in at such a low price? I have to believe one is giving up something, is it longevity, brake modulation, or something else? Does the G-Loc pads have better longevity, or brake modulation, or...? I was pretty set on going with G-Locā€™s + Centric Rotors, but the price of the Powerstop kit is rather enticing. I donā€™t like the idea of replacing the kit after just three track days, but if the longevity of G-Locā€™s isnā€™t much better, then itā€™s a great deal. Has anyone compared these brakes?
A little late to this party, but just figured I would chime in with my own experience and say that I gave the Powerstop Track Day pads a go at my first HPDE, but I think i will be trying an R8 or a Carbotech XP8 at the front the next time I go out. I wrote up a detailed account in this thread, but the short story is that the Powerstop pads are not the end all be all. It's possible to overheat the Powerstop pads even if it is your first time out, but of course YMMV. That being said, I don't regret using the PS pads for my first outing--they were pretty inexpensive, I had just some manageable "fade" (i.e. nothing catastrophic) and general lack of confidence, and now I know when I shell out some real coin for carbotech/G-LOC that i'm not just wasting money. Also, please report back on how your choice worked out!

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The R8s still make a good day to day pad. They have stopping power while the pads are cold and rotors are cold. It seems they have a good temp operating range. I dont know the numbers but I am sure the temp operating range of the R8s would be easy to get.

I usually just call G-Loc directly.

G-LOC Brakes -

You can even discuss with them your particular application and they may make different recommendations. Great company to deal with.
Sounds like the braking system as a whole plays nice with the R8 heat range? Any caliper rebuilding involved? Do you just let the dust boots go?

Also, what brake fluid(s) have you run in combination? Favorite fluid?

RHMS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPB(2x), 350z, Si
Sounds like the braking system as a whole plays nice with the R8 heat range? Any caliper rebuilding involved? Do you just let the dust boots go?

Also, what brake fluid(s) have you run in combination? Favorite fluid?
Sorry for the late reply. The system does work well together (with a street tire--200tw). No need to rebuild your calipers. The pads are rotor friendly but do tend to make more noise once they pass under 50% material.

In the civic I run redline brake fluid. But I have also run Motil 660 in other cars and it performs well.