Civic Si Sedan & Civic RS Sedan, same engine?

kaboom214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic RS (Sedan)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just had a question that I can’t see to find the answer to anywhere online so I thought I’d bounce it off you very knowledgble bunch on here :)

I’m looking at modding my Civic RS Sedan (Australian Model) gradually with some bolt on’s (Short Ram Intake, Intercooler, exhaust etc.), and most likely will be putting the +6psi tune from Hondata on it to begin with (I don’t have any tuners local to me to my knowledge, so this will have to do initially).

I’m seeing heaps of videos on YouTube of these sorts of mods on the US Si model Civic Sedan and the engine looks really similar to the Australian RS models engine. I know they’re both 1.5T’s but wondering if they are actually the same engine or are they different? The only differences I know between the models being the manual transmission and LSD, adaptive dampers.

Thanks heaps!
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Judging from the power figures, it looks like the same engine as the regular 1.5T that was in the 2016-2018MY sedan and coupes.

I mean, the engine is really the same engine between all of the 1.5L models but with tuning, turbo, internal, intake, exhaust, and transmission differences.

Most of the aftermarket parts fit all of the 1.5L Civics, but parts that are Si only have a high probability of not working.

OP
OP
kaboom214

kaboom214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic RS (Sedan)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Judging from the power figures, it looks like the same engine as the regular 1.5T that was in the 2016-2018MY sedan and coupes.

I mean, the engine is really the same engine between all of the 1.5L models but with tuning, turbo, internal, intake, exhaust, and transmission differences.

Most of the aftermarket parts fit all of the 1.5L Civics, but parts that are Si only have a high probability of not working.
Thanks for clearing that up, yeah I thought the engines looked similar, hopefully I don't end up buying a part that's Si only!

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Thanks for clearing that up, yeah I thought the engines looked similar, hopefully I don't end up buying a part that's Si only!
As far as I know, only a few parts are actually sensitive such as air intakes (the MAF housing is different from the normal 1.5T to the Si) and exhaust (center mounted vs side mounted on the normal sedan and coupe).

I wish Honda actually changed the engine codes for the different version of the L15. It would be so much easier than having 3 or more different versions with varying differences.
Sponsored