civic si pricing difference.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
idk if anyone has been over to the honda building site but the EX-L civic sedan is almost the same price as the SI and it comes with more features. yet the si owners turn their noses down on us because of 30 hp? better suspension? this isnt a racing car. it will NEVER be a racing car. its a cheap daily fuel efficient car. but im kinda surprised at how cheap the si is compared to regular ex-l sedan considering its supposed to have stronger body and parts and better performance. thoughts?:popcorn:
Sponsored

Last edited:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's just targeted to a different market and that adaptive suspension is something else. I thought about trading my lx in but I promised myself this would be my daily for awhile so I can focus on my other projects

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I think it makes sense given they appeal to different markets, there are trade-offs with each vehicle, just depends on if you prefer a sportier car or a car packed with more luxury-focused features. I don't know where you've gathered your verdict that Si owners look down on EX-L owners though.

TLDR; can't tell if this thread was created to start an argument or an actual discussion.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
idk if anyone has been over to the honda building site but the EX-L civic sedan is almost the same price as the SI and it comes with more features. yet the si owners turn their noses down on us because of 30 hp? better suspension? this isnt a racing car. it will NEVER be a racing car. its a cheap daily fuel efficient car. but im kinda surprised at how cheap the si is compared to regular ex-l sedan considering its supposed to have stronger body and parts and better performance. thoughts?:popcorn:
Have you driven an Si?

I know that if my car had lane assist, or collision avoidance, I would find the fuse for them and pull it.

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to disable that agravaiting three flash turn signal.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Going to debunk this out of pure 9-5 workday boredom.

If you're being sarcastic, thank you and I should have ignored this entirely.

If not, here you go: the Si and Type-R appeal to different markets. It is reductive to say Si owners all want a Type-R but couldn't afford it.

I can't realistically afford a Type-R but if I could, it would not be my first choice in the $35-40k range.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LSD/More Power/Sport Mode. Could also include styling differences. Though, there are fewer on the 2019 models than in the last 2 years.

/end thread.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
:popcorn:

I dunno, really enjoying my new Touring Coupe, it is what it is, left all the fuses in. Thought we were all here because we liked Civics? :agree:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Look at what the Si has, 6 mt transmission with a diff, sportier styling, dampers, and pumped up HP, in the factory world all of these upgrades amount to the price the Si is selling at. EX-T with 6mt is no longer offered, which makes Si the only 6mt 1.5 sedan/coupe. EX-L may have more features but those are creature comforts, 2 different cars marketed to 2 different kids of people.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The EX-L as you say...
comes with more features.
...and you are dismissive of an Si and it's
30 hp? better suspension?
Ok. I would call those, amongst many other things an Si has that an EX-L does not have as it's trim's version of 'more features'. Some may place more value on a car that is more performance oriented because they don't care about a power leather seat and whatever other things things like an EX-L or Touring might have... while neither trim has some things the Si offers.

One can have their choice of what features they want. Just because someone doesn't choose the same as you doesn't mean their choice is wrong. The idea you had on another thread that doing a reflash made an EX-L the performance equal of an Si is simply wrong. There are other metrics to judge a car by. Some can be quantified and have been in instrumented tests. You will find an EX-L lagging behind an Si in many and reflashing don't change suspension or brakes or prevent an Si from also being reflashed. The only nose I can think of that might be turned down at you is this idea you have. Even though I don't have a 'race car'... I have never felt a car could handle too good or stop in too short of a distance. Handling and braking can never be too good... and an Si does them better than a EX-L.

I have a lot of respect of the engineering package that the CTR is and what it's capable as a FWD, which I've always thought of as wrong-wheel-drive as a performance car. As a dedicated track car or for someone who's a huge enthusiast, it makes sense. I'd never spend 35k on a CTR because, as a car... it's still a Civic and I don't think any Civic is worth over ~25k just as a car. I wouldn't use that kind of performance on the road (admittedly, the Si will exceed the limits of acceptability in the road, and the other trims aren't that far behind) and I have no great type R following... it isn't even on my radar. I am interested in seeing one one of these days and have yet to see one in the flesh yet. I bet I'll get to see one at the Wake the Dragon thing.

One thing that may get some people but I haven't got bit by the bug is how the Si used to be top dog in the states and now it isn't. I've had 5 Z cars over nearly 20 years and the 350Z and 370Z (Z33/34) never had much appeal to me. A Z32 had twin turbos and HICAS AWS and massive tunability... and there was something special about it being the top Nissan stateside. I think the GTR watered down the Z stateside badly and made me feel it wasn't very special. Unlike the Civic though, the 10th gen Si matches or outperforms a 9th gen Si... whereas the 300zx generally outperformed the 13 year newer 350z, though admittedly it was at a different price point even that long ago.

im expecting 1937432862327 replies by morning that have nothing to do with the original question. should be fun
I'm sorry if I disappointed you. Perhaps you can go to a few more threads and try to make the same point. You haven't convinced me the EX-L is a better fit or I made a wrong decision purchasing or that my non-racing but spirited driving would be enjoyed more in an EX-L. And that is I guess the buying point for me. I get to row my own gears. I get to have a car that handles a little sharper... brakes a little harder... accelerates a little quicker.

Do I have to want a leather seat over a LSD? Or a power seat over adaptive dampers? A CVT over a manual?

C'mon man... be satisfied with the choice you made and accept it's not what many of us wanted. I have never thought, 'Man I wish I had an EX-L!!!' and I don't sit around assuming you wish you had an Si.

View attachment 136083

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
C'mon man... be satisfied with the choice you made and accept it's not what many of us wanted. I have never thought, 'Man I wish I had an EX-L!!!' and I don't sit around assuming you wish you had an Si.

View attachment 136083
So I don’t think buying an si over an ex-L or touring is wrong decision. If I could drive a Manual I would’ve bought an si. But I can’t so I’m stuck with automatic. But I have come across ALOT of si owners who think they are BETTER. because they own a manual but in reality the pricing for an automatic EX-L or touring equals or exceeds the si which in reality price would equate better quality. A 30k car should be nicer than a 20k car. I don’t think any si owner is wrong for choosing it. I just noticed the prices are about the same an was wondering why if it such a better car.
Sponsored

Last edited: