Elussive

First Name
Rave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2.0l
Country flag
I currently own a 2016 2.0L 6MT and I'm over my loan. My civic is worth about 9k and I owe 5k on my loan right now. I'm looking into upgrading into something a little sportier but still practical. I've reached out to a few dealers and have come to a decision between a Civic SI and a GTI.

The SI would be about 17k OTD after my trade in and a GTI Autobahn would run me about 15k. Is the SI worth the extra 2k? I love the 10th gen interior and I would like to keep my Ktuner, but moving to a hatchback is also very appealing. I have to carry a lot of equipment for work from time to time and having a hatchback would be very useful. I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but what do you guys think?
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm assuming these are used? If so, there are a lot more factors in play to consider between the Si and GTI: model years? Miles? CPO? Still under warranty? A new autobahn retails for $10k more than a Si, so it may be a good deal unless it has a ton of miles on it, because we all know which of those two brands is going to be more reliable.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Back in 2003, my very first car was an old high-mileage 86 GTI. Loved it but it had some electrical gremlins and I ended up selling it within a year. I used that money to buy an 89 Civic DX hatch that already had a bunch of miles, drove it for a couple years with no problems, then sold it for about the same as what I paid for it. 6 years later I bought a brand new 09 GTI. I really enjoyed it but I did have to take it in for TSB warranty work a couple different times during ownership. I had it for about 3 years and racked up close to 30k miles.

I'd say go with the GTI if you are buying new and aren't planning to keep it once the warranty is up. If you are thinking long term, stick with the Civic for reliability and resale value.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You're asking a Honda forum to tell you whether to buy a Honda or Volkswagen...so keep that in mind. What's the year and mileage of the GTI? 15k for an autobahn leads be to believe it's definitely older than the Si.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Only way I'd get a GTI is to get a 2019 new with the 6 year warranty. The SE w/experience package has everything except like nav. They go for like $27 right now. But the GTI trunk is tiny. That's the major issue with it. If you can't drive around with the back seats down it's a problem.

Absolutely test drive a GTI, some love it, I find them a bit too refined and boring. I'd still get it if the trunk was bigger. (I have to carry work stuff and pick up kids so it's a deal breaker). Civic hatch has way more space.
Sponsored