JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
@SCVanguard you can change the toe by adjusting the cam bolt on the inner side of the rear control arm. Without toe plates you are pretty blind to what you are doing though. I got the Tenhulzen ones and am fairly happy with them. If you got the skills or time you can make some easily.
Sponsored

SCVanguard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I don't think I drove well all weekend, including the pro. Just need more seat time to get rid of RWD brain.

It was great meeting everyone! Stay safe out there!

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
Ended up on top of GS at the Bristol Pro today. I was on Yoks and wound up running about 39 in the front and 53 in the back. It STILL wouldn’t rotate! I’m on the Eibach CTR bar and I hear the Karcepts bar is much stiffer which would help. I could also try some toe out but I’m afraid of messing with that since it’s my daily.

That being said, Tommy Pulliam ended up breaking out bya good margin in the super challenge on stones. I’m not 100% sold that Yoks are the golden ticket. Part of me thinks Yoks on the front and Stones on the back might be a good bet.....
Marcus in the Supra does that. 71R in the front and Yoks out back (hence the YOKSTONE decal's LOL)

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
Country flag
Marcus in the Supra does that. 71R in the front and Yoks out back (hence the YOKSTONE decal's LOL)
This makes sense for RWD. You can use the benefits of each tire on whichever end of the car you need it to do good things - Yoks have great grip / straight line so the rear of a RWD is it's happy place. The Bridgestones turn sharp and are responsive, so great on the front of a RWD. Unfortunately, with FWD, you want both on one end of the car, so that ends up no bueno.

After driving Sam's car on Yoks for the Nats T&T course the Friday before the Finale last year, there's like 0.001% chance I'd ever be willing to try them on another Si...

88BBB8B

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000, 2019 Civic Si
Country flag
This makes sense for RWD. You can use the benefits of each tire on whichever end of the car you need it to do good things - Yoks have great grip / straight line so the rear of a RWD is it's happy place. The Bridgestones turn sharp and are responsive, so great on the front of a RWD. Unfortunately, with FWD, you want both on one end of the car, so that ends up no bueno.

After driving Sam's car on Yoks for the Nats T&T course the Friday before the Finale last year, there's like 0.001% chance I'd ever be willing to try them on another Si...
So there is still a slight chance you'd try them again LOL

I'm pumped for these next 3 weekends of autocross :thumbsup:

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
The only way I would likely try Yoks again (on an Si at least) would be in a 245/40-18...

The 255/40-17 was so ridiculously wide for an 8in wheel. Especially with soft sidewalls....

Going to the 245/40-18 would eliminate some of the sidewall and perhaps be a more proper fit for an 8in wide wheel.

But I still truly feel that the Yok is not the proper tire for most FWD cars that lack camber. It might be good on a low-grip surface (like those found at Charlotte and Bristol) but I still think that the Bridgestone would be on par on surfaces like that. At a grippy concrete site - the Rival and Bridgestones are likely the way to go.

I could obviously be proven wrong - but as Annie said, the Yoks felt like garbage on the Lincoln test course last year. And we did try several ranges in pressure. I think we were as low as 28psi front and as high as 36'ish? And for the rear I think we were as low as high-30's and eventually worked our way up to 50'ish!

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag

Good call. I bought a set and have concluded that while they are decently fast (likely not the fastest tire), the drive feel is vague at best and the tires are wearing fast. I just don't think they like doing all three functions at the same time well. I'll use them for some locals but will be on Stones in Lincoln. Live and learn.

Vanimaniac

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 6M Sport Hatch
Country flag
Pedal dance as in turning everything F off? Yeah definitely doing that.

I got more used to it as we went along. I think the sweet spot based on my 60ft were between 2800 and 3000. That being said, I think 2.5 is slow. Is it better to skip the clutch a little bit or just dump it?

I'm giving the Yoks a shot this weekend. I'll report back. Todd Freeman was on yoks this weekend and had some good 60 fts. Ron had a bunch of 2.3 60s on older Stones though.
You looked good in my corner (3) on the left course. I could visually tell you and Ron were a tick faster than Todd. I literally bought and mounted my wheels and tires Friday afternoon at the event and it made me feel good to see that you and Ron had the same wheel/tire setup that I went with as I had so many options and didn't know which route to really go. But that also meant I was guessing on pressures and I too didn't know where to launch the car at. Since it was damp for us in 1st session Saturday morning I launched at 2k and it seemed ok. But I realized that Blume had me by 0.2 secs on each side just in the first 60 ft so I ended up launching around 2500-3000 and ended up with some 2.3's and 2.4's. Blume told me he was launching above 4k?

Ron's car had a weird whistle on course and I honestly don't remember hearing your car as you drove by each time.

I went with 30front/40rear and the car was a bit loosey goosey for me in the slaloms but I stuck with it.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Anecdotal, but my car has paint marks that go through the toe eccentrics onto the control arm. I run the car with the rears set with those paint marks perfectly offset (as much turn as you could do with the marks still barely touching) and that's the most rear toe out I find tolerable on the freeway. More and it starts to feel a little spooky / wandery at highway speeds. You can always return the car to (close enough to) original alignment by re-aligning the paint marks.

I measured with my toe bar where it's at and posted somewhere in the thread many pages ago, can't remember where it's actually at now.

YMMV, your paint marks may be wider than mine, buyer beware, grain of salt, don't try this at home, and my $0.02.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have been doing a bit of searching, nothing concrete so far so I thought I'd ask:

I have 18x8.5 ET38 wheels, currently on 245/35R18 Continental ECS tires but looking to get more competitive Dunlop Direzza ZIII's for autoX and track days - the two available sizes are 245/40R18 or 255/35R18. Should I go for a higher sidewall, or a wider contact patch?

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Have been doing a bit of searching, nothing concrete so far so I thought I'd ask:

I have 18x8.5 ET38 wheels, currently on 245/35R18 Continental ECS tires but looking to get more competitive Dunlop Direzza ZIII's for autoX and track days - the two available sizes are 245/40R18 or 255/35R18. Should I go for a higher sidewall, or a wider contact patch?
For sure 255/35-18's when using an 8.5in wheel. No doubt. Especially seeing the section/tread with differences TireRack has for that specific tire in both sizes...

FYI - that wheel width is not street-class legal for us running SCCA events down in the US... But if you are running a different club/ruleset (or running in the SCCA STH category) - then 8.5in wheels are legal.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For sure 255/35-18's when using an 8.5in wheel. No doubt. Especially seeing the section/tread with differences TireRack has for that specific tire in both sizes...

FYI - that wheel width is not street-class legal for us running SCCA events down in the US... But if you are running a different club/ruleset (or running in the SCCA STH category) - then 8.5in wheels are legal.
Thank You sir, and just checked as well - 255 35 is 0.9" wider in terms of section width versus the 245 40, so 255's are on order!

Our local series does have classes, but they're quite relaxed being a local body versus national like SCCA. Here's how relaxed we are ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS 1594149841736
Sponsored