Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
Dang i'll be working on the other side while you guys are running. Was hoping to watch haha

SIonara22

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Hello! Just got a my 2019 Civic SI and I am currently in the process of picking out some wheels/tires that I can use for autox. Very new to autox but looking to get a a decent set up to learn on and not destroy my daily tires in the process. I've read through most of this thread and looks 17X8 - 245/45 or 255/40 are the most common combos.

I've decided to go with the RPF1s (invest in some good wheels now) but trying to get some options for "decent" tires. I want a good amount of grip to learn on without having to go straight to the RE71s. Hoping that someone here might have a few suggestions!

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
I have 17x8.5 rpf1 on 255 40 17 re71r with good results. I think 17x9 maybe better but check on wheel clearance. On stock suspension with rear sway bar. Not planning to put coilovers on it. If u want to learn without going straight to re71r, use the stock tires if u still have it than go to re71r when u feel u are close to mastering the car with stock tires

SIonara22

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I have 17x8.5 rpf1 on 255 40 17 re71r with good results. I think 17x9 maybe better but check on wheel clearance. On stock suspension with rear sway bar. Not planning to put coilovers on it. If u want to learn without going straight to re71r, use the stock tires if u still have it than go to re71r when u feel u are close to mastering the car with stock tires
Thanks for the input! I'm going to stay with 17X8 to stay legal for GS autox. 2 things on the stock tires 1) i want to keep them on the stock wheels so that i can just swap them out when I get to the track because I don't want to end up with RE71s on my daily driver, 2) I did 3 event on the stock tires and was struggling with no grip (even the instructors commented on how i can only do so much with these tires). May just end up going for RE71s but want to see if anyone had some other good ideas!

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I guess the Z3, the RS4, or even the Falken will save you both a couple dollars up front and will also save you a few dollars with a little longer wear. I wouldn't worry much about DDing any of those tires either should you decide that changing tires twice on every AX day isn't for you.

If you want to save a few more dollars, you can try the Federal 595 RS-RR. Cheaper than even the Falken. Note I've never tried this tire, but I did run the older version 595 RSR and thought it was a fantastic tire for the price. Not sure how different the RS-RR is, and unfortunately I don't have any anecdotal reviews from anyone I trust on the tire either. Whatever you do, don't run that Kumho. It's junk.

None of these tires are quite at the level of the RE-71R (or Rival S, or A052) but they're close enough if you are a newer autocrosser that it won't be much of a difference. Also, there's rumors that at least one new tire is coming out next year, so we'll see if the current top tires finally get knocked off the top of the mountain.

FWIW, I understand that the OE tires aren't so hot, but working with what you've got is the rule no matter what car you're in. People running SM cars with Hoosiers and downforce still have to feel out the limit of what the tires can give. The lower threshold of the OE tires do make it a LOT easier to learn this skill. It's easy to focus on times, I get that, but the real thing you are working on improving is your driving. Time on the clock is nearly irrelevant.

tdw

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I set mine up for GS too.
I got a great deal on tires and wheels from Tirerack, balanced and delivered. They are 255 40-17 RE71R on 17X8 +48 wheels (can't remember the name of the wheels right now but I can check tonight if you want).
I'm in Redondo if you want to see what they look like.

SIonara22

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
FWIW, I understand that the OE tires aren't so hot, but working with what you've got is the rule no matter what car you're in. People running SM cars with Hoosiers and downforce still have to feel out the limit of what the tires can give. The lower threshold of the OE tires do make it a LOT easier to learn this skill. It's easy to focus on times, I get that, but the real thing you are working on improving is your driving. Time on the clock is nearly irrelevant.
thanks for the tire options, I those would be a bit more reasonable for now!

Agreed that the name of the game is working with what you got, but I feel like I'll be better able to learn the actual limit of the car and the necessary skills on a better tire. Honestly, not even about improving my time - i've just been focusing on making sure I improve on each run as the day goes on. Also, I don't want to end up destroying my current tires and have to buy replacements AND autox tires. Or maybe i'm just searching for reasons to justify the purchase =D

bcskelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Agreed that the name of the game is working with what you got, but I feel like I'll be better able to learn the actual limit of the car and the necessary skills on a better tire. Honestly, not even about improving my time - i've just been focusing on making sure I improve on each run as the day goes on. Also, I don't want to end up destroying my current tires and have to buy replacements AND autox tires. Or maybe i'm just searching for reasons to justify the purchase =D
The stock A/S tires are pretty hard, so I wouldn't worry about running a few events on them. The lower limits will help you learn how the car handles. I ran 2 HPDE's and 3 AutoX's before I got a new set of wheels/tires. The A/S tires had plenty of tread left, but I envisioned the same dilemma of needing two sets of tires and also was ready for more grip at that point.

bcskelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The stock A/S tires are pretty hard, so I wouldn't worry about running a few events on them. The lower limits will help you learn how the car handles. I ran 2 HPDE's and 3 AutoX's before I got a new set of wheels/tires. The A/S tires had plenty of tread left, but I envisioned the same dilemma of needing two sets of tires and also was ready for more grip at that point.
One more thought. I run in GS but haven't put on an RSB yet, which I'm thinking about doing next spring. I'll probably run on my A/S for the first event next year so I can get a feel for how much the rear will want to step out, which is easier to explore at lower speeds.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag

You won't learn the actual limit of the car until you can drive well.

My autox tires (back in the day) were a used set of Azenis RT-215s, long since discontinued. The shoulders were rounded and everything, and I think I paid the guy $200 for the set. Good enough for some school sessions and a bundle of events over a few years.

How about that -- a second set of wheels and some used 200-ish-treadwear tires from another driver in your region. Some guys go through a set or two every season, and although they'd be wrung out and a few tenths off the pace of fresh tires, they'd still be good enough to learn on, and more representative of race tires than all-season street tires.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Eibach 25mm should work fine. I have both a Karcepts and a Whiteline 22mm. I plan on putting the Whiteline back on for the winter, and swapping to the Accord OEM end links, part # 52320-TLB-A00

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry in advance if this has been posted already but has anyone installed the Eibach 25mm bar on an Si? And if so what endlinks did you use. Hope to see some of out at Northeast national events next year.
Naw man i cant find anyone anywhere who has purchased the 25mm RSB! Well at least still around on the forums to weigh in on the handling lol I plan to get it around late November so if you, or anyone else hasn't shared a review, i'll be doing so on a thread i posted awhile back. Also going with the Accord end links as well. Such a good upgrade for a great price. Still dont understand why the SI got the dinky plastic ones :crazy: lol
Sponsored