1996 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Season starts up in a little more than a week here. Prep for me has included some cheap used 17x8s and new 245 RE71s as well as the CTR bar. I am really toying with the idea of adding the front pipe and a filter but I'm not sure if the gains are really there to be had.

I'd like to add an exhaust in terms of saving weight, but can't justify the ~$1000 cost and I enjoy the quietness of the stock on my daily commute. I also don't want to hack up the stock exhaust, although removing the mufflers seems to be the cheapest route to save 40lbs. (EDIT may only save <30lbs)

First event already has a quick FoST and GTI signed up which should make for an interesting shakedown.

Last edited:

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
Season starts up in a little more than a week here. Prep for me has included some cheap used 17x8s and new 245 RE71s as well as the CTR bar. I am really toying with the idea of adding the front pipe and a filter but I'm not sure if the gains are really there to be had.

I'd like to add an exhaust in terms of saving weight, but can't justify the ~$1000 cost and I enjoy the quietness of the stock on my daily commute. I also don't want to hack up the stock exhaust, although removing the mufflers seems to be the cheapest route to save 40lbs.

First event already has a quick FoST and GTI signed up which should make for an interesting shakedown.
Dude! Please keep me posted regarding how your setup feels. I have 245/40/18 RE71R on 18x9's. I also have the CTR rear bar. I don't plan on doing auto-x this season but would like to hear back regarding how your car feels (neutral? Oversteer? mild understeer?) So far with my street tires (245/40/18 w/ Pirelli PZ4 also on 18x9" wheels), it is feeling relatively neutral but I have yet to push hard enough to see where it is going to step out first.

Regarding the "40 lb" mufflers, you actually have a weight on those? In a way I'd be surprised if they were that heavy but in a way I wouldn't be considering how heavy the wheels are! Lol. I weighed the WRX mufflers and they were like 12 lbs a piece on my 2010. Anyway, let me know if you have any more intel on that. BUT, I will say that I am a bit worried about oversteer with the Type R bar. I worry that taking more weight off the rear (CBE delete and subbing in a flange with turn down tip for track) would just make the back end even more skittish.

Yeah, please keep us updated here on your experiences with the car!

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Although I normally go with REs, tirerack had a great deal on KUMHO ECSTA V720 that I could pass up, $80/tire. So I’m giving them a go. I ordered the sirimoto rear sway bar. First event is Tuesday!

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Dude! Please keep me posted regarding how your setup feels. I have 245/40/18 RE71R on 18x9's. I also have the CTR rear bar. I don't plan on doing auto-x this season but would like to hear back regarding how your car feels (neutral? Oversteer? mild understeer?) So far with my street tires (245/40/18 w/ Pirelli PZ4 also on 18x9" wheels), it is feeling relatively neutral but I have yet to push hard enough to see where it is going to step out first.

Regarding the "40 lb" mufflers, you actually have a weight on those? In a way I'd be surprised if they were that heavy but in a way I wouldn't be considering how heavy the wheels are! Lol. I weighed the WRX mufflers and they were like 12 lbs a piece on my 2010. Anyway, let me know if you have any more intel on that. BUT, I will say that I am a bit worried about oversteer with the Type R bar. I worry that taking more weight off the rear (CBE delete and subbing in a flange with turn down tip for track) would just make the back end even more skittish.

Yeah, please keep us updated here on your experiences with the car!
Sorry, I mis-remembered the weights. Someone on one of the facebook groups mentioned 29lbs including the tips for both mufflers.

I've only autocrossed the car with Rival S and stock bar. And RS3s in the cold/wet with the R bar. I thought it wasn't too pushy with the stock bar on the Rival S. I think the bar will add just the right amount of oversteer. I don't think the bar will be too much, if it is it will be easy-ish to play with tire pressures in to dial out some of it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS 2-22-2018 13-35-50

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Although I normally go with REs, tirerack had a great deal on KUMHO ECSTA V720 that I could pass up, $80/tire. So I’m giving them a go. I ordered the sirimoto rear sway bar. First event is Tuesday!
It says not in stock. I did see it’s a 2014 model. Do those types of tires have a shelf life with that type of compound they use? Older stock wears out quicker than newer stock or is that a myth?

JSTCorrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2009 RX8 R3, 2015 Focus ST, 2013 F250, 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Hey Guys, Brian Tyson here. Apparently my wife already had an account on this forum as it is her Si Actually.

I did end up winning the Dixie SCCA National Tour in GS in our Si while my wife also placed 5th.

But truth be told, it wasnt a great weekend for us. The person who finished in 2nd place had NEVER finished within a full second of me or never beaten my wife at all before this event at any regional events. We were on near 100 Run 245/40/17 RE71R's and the rest of the trophy spot cars were on nearly brand new RE71's. We have since ordered a brand new set of 255's that were going to test out, as my only complaint about the car is the lack of top speed in 2nd gear. IIRC we banged the limiter 4 times per run on the Dixie National Course. The other cars were much faster in the fast sections than us.

I look forward to seeing how far this car will go in this class, i personally think it may be the new car to have in GS. I personally think its better in stock form than the VW GTI and Focus ST and thats saying a lot. Ive owned a 2015 MK7 GTI, and ive owned 3 Focus ST's and a Focus RS and own one of the biggest Focus ST/ Fiesta ST/ Focus RS Shops in the world ( www.jst-performance.com) and pilot a 550whp Focus ST in the Global Time Attack series in the Limited FWD Class.

We are also currently working with Motion Control Suspension on a set of prototype dampers for the Civic Si as well so i have very high hopes for the car :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS Dixie GS
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS Dixie GS

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
It says not in stock. I did see it’s a 2014 model. Do those types of tires have a shelf life with that type of compound they use? Older stock wears out quicker than newer stock or is that a myth?
It was the 2014 stock. But they seem perfect. Im not sure about how they’ll wear, but even if they wear faster, it’s still worth it at half of what REs cost.

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey Guys, Brian Tyson here. Apparently my wife already had an account on this forum as it is her Si Actually.

I did end up winning the Dixie SCCA National Tour in GS in our Si while my wife also placed 5th.

But truth be told, it wasnt a great weekend for us. The person who finished in 2nd place had NEVER finished within a full second of me or never beaten my wife at all before this event at any regional events. We were on near 100 Run 245/40/17 RE71R's and the rest of the trophy spot cars were on nearly brand new RE71's. We have since ordered a brand new set of 255's that were going to test out, as my only complaint about the car is the lack of top speed in 2nd gear. IIRC we banged the limiter 4 times per run on the Dixie National Course. The other cars were much faster in the fast sections than us.

I look forward to seeing how far this car will go in this class, i personally think it may be the new car to have in GS. I personally think its better in stock form than the VW GTI and Focus ST and thats saying a lot. Ive owned a 2015 MK7 GTI, and ive owned 3 Focus ST's and a Focus RS and own one of the biggest Focus ST/ Fiesta ST/ Focus RS Shops in the world ( www.jst-performance.com) and pilot a 550whp Focus ST in the Global Time Attack series in the Limited FWD Class.

We are also currently working with Motion Control Suspension on a set of prototype dampers for the Civic Si as well so i have very high hopes for the car :)

Dixie GS.png
Dixie GS.png
Hey Brian, at the AutoX atl event you said you ordered an exhaust. What exhaust do you have on the Si, and what do you think about it?

JSTCorrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2009 RX8 R3, 2015 Focus ST, 2013 F250, 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
We actually just chopped the stock muffler off and reused the stock tip. Sounds decent and isnt loud at all. saved about 27lbs total after reinstalling the stock tip

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
...as my only complaint about the car is the lack of top speed in 2nd gear. IIRC we banged the limiter 4 times per run on the Dixie National Course. The other cars were much faster in the fast sections than us.
What's the top speed in 2nd? I was lucky on the courses I ran with my EP3 a few years back and only hit the rev limiter once or twice, but I imagined the frustration I'd feel if the course had been faster.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
What's the top speed in 2nd? I was lucky on the courses I ran with my EP3 a few years back and only hit the rev limiter once or twice, but I imagined the frustration I'd feel if the course had been faster.
57 with 245/40/R17, I think.

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
57 with 245/40/R17, I think.
Hmmm, a lot smaller than OEM diameter. Maybe a 245/45/17 would be in order to stretch out the gearing a bit to keep from hitting the limiter? Of course it will slow things down a bit as far as accel, but then also wouldn't slip as much coming off tight corners under hard accel.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Hmmm, a lot smaller than OEM diameter. Maybe a 245/45/17 would be in order to stretch out the gearing a bit to keep from hitting the limiter? Of course it will slow things down a bit as far as accel, but then also wouldn't slip as much coming off tight corners under hard accel.
Definitely. I would have bought these, but got a screaming deal on the 245/40s. $520 and a $70 mail in rebate card on top of that.
Sponsored