burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I don't think you're going to get 80 runs on that gritty/ pebbly surface on any tire, double especially when each one is 60+ seconds long.
Sponsored

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
I'm at 36/38 F/R. Was basically what I ran with 71Rs. Josh and I were talking about it at dixie playing with pressures.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at 36/38 F/R. Was basically what I ran with 71Rs. Josh and I were talking about it at dixie playing with pressures.
Dixie ... like SCCA Dixie Region?
(now renamed Red Hills)

SCVanguard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
On stones I was running 38f/40r. Around 38 on the front for me shows the best, even wear across the entire tire.

taking new Falkens to spring Nats, will report back!

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was in reference to the national tour there in march, but yes.
I'm hoping Dixie/Red Hills will put on another event ... soon.
I was ready to start racing, last March ... right with our nemesis Covid showed up ... and I haven't been able to make it to an event since. :confused:

godspd

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si, 1995 Mazda Miata M edition, 2005 Toyota Tundra SR5, 2014 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
What is the recommended rear bar to run? I have heard a mix of Eibach 25mm CTR, Whiteline and Karcepts bar.

As of now I am running 245/40R17 Rival S 1.5 on Enkei's 17x8's at regionals with stock rear bar 35 F/ 40 R and have finished 2nd and 5th Top PAX at my 2 events so far.

pretzelface

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
So yesterday, I finally got the chance to get some runs in on the Kumho v730s. I ran them at Beeville, but that was more of a scrub-in. On our local asphalt, HOLY SHIT they're good. Like, Yokohama good.

Someone on another corner of the internet (forget where) suggested running them at a low pressure. I felt a ton of sidewall deflection on the concrete at Beeville, so I tried them a lot harder (38/38) and the car gripped like it was on rails. It felt like it was *daring* me to go faster.

Bridgestones aren't even in the ballpark. At this point, I'm glad they're discontinued because they are just obsolete compared to the current generation of competitive tires. And the Kumhos are of course a budget option.

One thing I did notice, though, is that they need heat in them. I'm used to obsessively spraying my tires after every run, and I actually managed to over-cool them at one point. They heated back up, but it cost me a run.

Nothing to report yet on longevity, of course, since I've got like 9 dry runs on them total, but they don't look as worn as a Bridgestone would be after 9 runs. So there's that. I'll update at the end of their life, whether that's next event or in November.

SCVanguard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Needing heat in Kumhos goes against what Ron, the Teffts, and the Seatons were saying at Spring Nats. They said they were crisp from the initial launch.

For what it’s worth, I used to run square because it felt “good”. On day 4 of Spring Nats I had nothing to lose so I jacked up the rear pressures to about 45. The car felt even better, especially around tight turnarounds. Ron told me he runs almost 50 (or maybe above 50, I might be wrong). Perhaps on a lower grip asphalt you won’t want to be that high...but I’ve yet to drive on our local gravel pit since Lincoln.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Wow! I'm at 40 front and 32 rear this weekend on re71s, the front still wanted more and the rear still wanted less..

NWseito

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si 2016 Focus RS
Country flag
Wow! I'm at 40 front and 32 rear this weekend on re71s, the front still wanted more and the rear still wanted less..
First thanks for wealth of information here.

Second tire pressure I feel becomes personal as how it feels to the driver. Play with it. The only tuning tools we have are sway bar alignment and tire pressure. Tire pressure being the easiest

Third if the Kumho’s are not worn to the half slick stage they really are not scrubbed in yet. I do run them pretty low but like I said tire pressure can be personal preference. It’s funny to see all the Kumho talk after enduring a early season of funny looks and quirky comments.. Down Texas way you might have to spray up here in the NW we haven’t felt the need yet.
My only complaint is the wet. Early NW season was wet. These are the worst tire ever in the wet. I co drive with my wife and they almost caused a divorce. On the plus side we leaned a lot.

We have a ProSolo and Regional event at Packwood this coming weekend our 19th and 20th event of the year counting practices. I keep waiting for our set to cord. They have so many runs I stopped counting because I never expected to still be running them with how bad they were to start on.

If will be interesting weekend leading into our tour event. Tires have really made it interesting.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Yeah the tire thing this year has been really interesting. Old RE71s, RT660, Rival S, Kumho, Nankang, and Yok all somewhat viable, depending on surface, temp, and driving style. No real evidence that any tire is a must have.

What'll be fun is if one tire suddenly works really well - or really poorly - at a rubbered in Lincoln.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
What is the recommended rear bar to run? I have heard a mix of Eibach 25mm CTR, Whiteline and Karcepts bar.

As of now I am running 245/40R17 Rival S 1.5 on Enkei's 17x8's at regionals with stock rear bar 35 F/ 40 R and have finished 2nd and 5th Top PAX at my 2 events so far.
Raj,

I think there's some preference. The Karcepts is the most flexible, as there's a ton of settings and it is mounted on the delrin bushings so it's consistent. For me, I couldn't get the end links to be quiet enough for me so I sold it and run the Whiteline, I use the Accord (metal) endlinks with it. My competitiveness hasn't notably suffered, and the car rotates just as well for me as it did on the Karcepts - I spun the car yesterday on my way to a top PAX at a local.

The Eibach is bigger than the Whiteline I have, but I've heard reports of the geometery binding the endlinks. No personal experience.

This is only my $0.02 but I'd consider at least trying a higher pressure on the Rival - it has a pretty soft sidewall. I ran 37 on the crazy stiff sidewall RE71R unless I was on a low grip surface.

cito

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI sedan; 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
SCVanguard, I think the V730's are better than the Falken on first runs in cool conditions (based on available information but not personal experience), but they still like a little heat--like all tires. They can get hot. This past weekend, we bathed them with ice water in between runs. As they heated, they felt worse but were just as fast. Emery is consistently fast on first runs, but he is the second driver. I am consistently slow on first runs because I am consistently slow. LOL.

NWseito

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si 2016 Focus RS
Country flag
Kumho report in the NW heat

Well after this weekend in Packwood ProSolo#2 and NWR#6

Saturday ProSolo#2 wife ran in L2 finished 2nd made the Challenge went out the first round sadly mainly to sleeping on the lights. We are still working on that part. Me 4th in tough S2 but made the Bonus Challenge and went out and coned it away in the first round :p Tires were great the right side course was hard. Wife spun her first run not uncommon for us. The Kumhos were great

Sunday NWR#6

We were second run group in S2 on a day it was 85 and hot up here in the PNW. Wife was first out. Normal run she’s doing her job little heat. I go out and ran the fastest GS time but had a cone first run. Wife’s second run she goes out faster but it’s dirty np we get 4. I go out and half way in the tires do something they never have and were not as forgiving I mow some more cones that was a theme for me. We went spraying but it was too late they were hot. We are new and anything weird or big change in the tires just tossed us off. Sadly that evening we reviewed Solostorm. While the tires changed they did not slow down we did. I definitely back off some trying to get a clean run.

So yeah I would spray early at the same time if you can adjust they are still fast
Sponsored