Civic Si engine chatter/ ticking (audio clip attached)

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
My Si has 32,000 miles, FBO, flex fuel, RV6 turbo and has been running great other than a strange noise that first occurred about 5,000 miles ago. I first noticed the noise a couple months after putting on the turbo and doing hard pulls then parking. The noise went away after my next drive but it comes and goes. The noise has been popping up more frequently lately so I decided to document it. It sounds like it’s coming from the top right of the engine, maybe something with the cams. I suspect it could have something to do with running thicker oil or maybe just from being driven too hard. I frequently drive at the car’s limit. From the audio, you can tell the noise is very apparent at idle outside the car and even in the cabin. I even notice it driving at low speeds and low rpms. You can also hear that it gets louder when the rpms increase. I had a friend rev it up to about 1200 in the engine bay clip. Please help me find out if this is something serious!

Sponsored

colestrahle33

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
My Si has 32,000 miles, FBO, flex fuel, RV6 turbo and has been running great other than a strange noise that first occurred about 5,000 miles ago. I first noticed the noise a couple months after putting on the turbo and doing hard pulls then parking. The noise went away after my next drive but it comes and goes. The noise has been popping up more frequently lately so I decided to document it. It sounds like it’s coming from the top right of the engine, maybe something with the cams. I suspect it could have something to do with running thicker oil or maybe just from being driven too hard. I frequently drive at the car’s limit. From the audio, you can tell the noise is very apparent at idle outside the car and even in the cabin. I even notice it driving at low speeds and low rpms. You can also hear that it gets louder when the rpms increase. I had a friend rev it up to about 1200 in the engine bay clip. Please help me find out if this is something serious!

bye bye civic si

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
If you're talking about the high pitch rattle that is probably your clutch. Mine has been sounding like that when I got my FX300 and now my ACT clutch makes the same sound

OP
OP
Gavin_Danitz

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
If you're talking about the high pitch rattle that is probably your clutch. Mine has been sounding like that when I got my FX300 and now my ACT clutch makes the same sound
Oh that might be it. I have the ACT clutch as well
Sponsored