Civic sedan vs. Accord Coupe, thoughts?

FLAGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic
I'm really interested in purchasing one of these models, and wondered if anyone here has driven both, looked at both in depth and drawn any comparisons/conclusions one way or the other? I have my own opinions, but wanted to hear some of your thoughts first. I'm coming from fifth gen civic, so whatever I purchase I'm sure I'll be happy, but a little concerned about the civics size compared to the accord.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
This is all personal preferences, there are so many variations between trims. Are you comparing similarly in price? Or you are just looking to compare Civic EX-L vs Accord EX-L?

OP
OP

FLAGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic
This is all personal preferences, there are so many variations between trims. Are you comparing similarly in price? Or you are just looking to compare Civic EX-L vs Accord EX-L?
True, let me elaborate. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than 22k-24k, 25 max. So perhaps comparing the two at that price point is what I'm after.

However, let me throw out my main concerns:

1) Power/performance. Simply put, what's the better designed vehicle? Civic sedan turbo or 4-cyl. accord? In terms of power, handling, etc.

2) Space. Are there any new 2016 civic owners who have any complaints/regrets about space or headroom? I'm 6'1", so it's always a concern when it comes to cars.

I guess my question is really geared toward those who have taken a close look at these cars or spent a decent amount of time with them. I've test driven the accord, and will be test driving the civic soon, but there's only so much one can gather from a quick test drive, so looking for all the insight I can get.

Kevin35623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 honda accord
True, let me elaborate. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than 22k-24k, 25 max. So perhaps comparing the two at that price point is what I'm after.

1) Power/performance. Simply put, what's the better designed vehicle? Civic sedan turbo or 4-cyl. accord? In terms of power, handling, etc.

2) Space. Are there any new 2016 civic owners who have any complaints/regrets about space or headroom? I'm 6'1", so it's always a concern when it comes to cars.

I guess my question is really geared toward those who have taken a close look at these cars or spent a decent amount of time with them. I've test driven the accord, and will be test driving the civic soon, but there's only so much one can gather from a quick test drive, so looking for all the insight I can get.
I had a 2013 accord sedan and now have a touring model civic and I actually feel that the civic has more room than my accord had also I'm 6'4" and head and leg room are not a problem for me in my civic

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

My family owned a seventh gen accord EX-L and to me they are.. about the same. I wouldn't be overly concern about performance per se, they are people haulers and you really get what you see on paper. They are no surprises there. If you really want performance I recommend getting something like a Mustang turbo or a Camaro. At 22-24k you would be getting the I4, which will be slower than the comparable Civic EX 1.5 turbo due to weight.

Space, Civic is obviously smaller. 6'1 is not overly tall and I don't think you will have problems in a civic. You should really be concerned about people carrying capabilities. If you are driving by yourself most of the time, Civic is better. If you have a family, Accord is a better bet. Civic can carry 4, but it is a bit cramped.

Personally, if space is not an issue it comes down to luxury items. With the Civic EX you will be getting the infotainment system and heated seats, Accord LX doesn't have that until the EX trim. I also looked at the Accord and the trade off for me was the ability to use carplay/android auto and the list of the integrated things I can do with it. If my budget was about 26k-28k I would've gotten the Accord for sure.
Sponsored