neastguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Mariner
Country flag
just wondering if any of you have tested both before purchase. I'm close to purchasing a new car and would like to hear your thoughts.... I'm a bit concerned about the Elantra warranty.. seems like I'm hearing that they don't honor it all that well...
Sponsored

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Is there already a sport model of the new Elantra?

The one below is a "regular" trim.
Honda Civic 10th gen civic hatchback vs elantra sport 2019-hyundai-elantra

Deleted member

While they may be in the same class in terms of car size, comparing a Hyundai Elantra to a Honda Civic is like comparing a TV dinner to finely prepared grilled steak. There's really no comparison when it comes to quality and reliability between the two. The only reason to get the Elantra is if you absolutely cannot afford one of the many significantly better options on the market(such as the Civic). Slapping the word Sport on the Elantra is like slapping the word premium on the tv dinner.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
While they may be in the same class in terms of car size, comparing a Hyundai Elantra to a Honda Civic is like comparing a TV dinner to finely prepared grilled steak. There's really no comparison when it comes to quality and reliability between the two. The only reason to get the Elantra is if you absolutely cannot afford one of the many significantly better options on the market(such as the Civic). Slapping the word Sport on the Elantra is like slapping the word premium on the tv dinner.
Lol!

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Feel free to compare the hatch vs the Elantra based on C&D and MotorTrend's data. It's all out there. It's probably better if you yourself go sit in each of these cars. If you're value oriented yes the Elantra may win over you with its lower price. But like thatonedaveguy put it nicely, the hatch is a far more refined product for not much more money. If you're looking for the MPG and the driving refinement (let's not get carried away though, we're comparing econoboxes), hatch hands down.

Try both.

I bought the Touring sedan because I didn't feel the extra performance of the hatch over the sedan and even the econo Touring's FWD drive and handling felt way better than the Elantra sport and Cruze and Corolla.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
The way I see it, the Elantra sport is to the Hatch what generic cola is to Pepsi.

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just wondering if any of you have tested both before purchase. I'm close to purchasing a new car and would like to hear your thoughts.... I'm a bit concerned about the Elantra warranty.. seems like I'm hearing that they don't honor it all that well...
Here's my thing. Test drive both! If you have to do it twice, do it! The biggest mistake I made is when I bought my previous 2014 civic without test driving it and I hated it! After test driving the Civic Hatchback Sport I have, I fell in love! In terms of technical information, I would ask the dealerships. Honestly, I've never owned or drove the Elantra. I feel like we can give only so much information, since every person has a different preference.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
A closer comparison to the Civic Sport Hatchback would be the Hyundai Velocitor Sport, which I have no problem blowing away, even with my CVT and playschool paddle shifters in S mode.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I have tested both before buying my hatch. I remember some nice features on the Elantra.
Chose the Civic because of the handling. The Elantra seemed sportier but it had a wonky wobble in the rear just after exiting corners.

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
To start, I feel that we are comparing the wrong trims.
The Civic Sport Hatchback should be compared with the Elantra ECO with the 1.4L turbocharged engine.
While the Civic SI is comparable to the Elantra Sport.
Nonetheless, the Elantra sport is a great car!
Anyone bashing on the Elantra sport has never driven one.
18 inch wheels with low profile tires, leather seats and a dual clutch transmission for the automatic version all for a car that you can get for under 20k brand new before taxes.
Manual Civic Sport or DCT Elantra Sport is my vote.
DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION > CVT

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I have tested both before buying my hatch. I remember some nice features on the Elantra.
Chose the Civic because of the handling. The Elantra seemed sportier but it had a wonky wobble in the rear just after exiting corners.
The handling reflects the mechanical refinement of the Civic. Like thatonedaveguy said, Civic is like a steak compared to TV dinner Elantra.

OP
OP

neastguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Mariner
Country flag
The handling reflects the mechanical refinement of the Civic. Like thatonedaveguy said, Civic is like a steak compared to TV dinner Elantra.
I finally test drove a civic today.. I love driving it but hated the cloth seats.. found them uncomfy ... gonna have to start looking at EX-L hatch... I hate the way they do the trim.. don't care about nav or sensing :(

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I finally test drove a civic today.. I love driving it but hated the cloth seats.. found them uncomfy ... gonna have to start looking at EX-L hatch... I hate the way they do the trim.. don't care about nav or sensing :(
I have the Touring, and it comes with the Nav and the Sensing. Having driven 2 generations of Civics before this, I'll say, the functionality the Nav provides is easily replaced by Google Maps. Sensing? I can't imagine life without it. LKAS and CMBS imo are by themselves worthy of a trim level. But I hear ya about the way they stack up the trims, I'm shopping for the new Accord and hate how trims are set up like cable tv package choices. :confused:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There have been several threads like this one. My two cents is this: The Elantra and the Velositor may be comparable to the Civic as new cars, checking a lot of boxes and posting some impressive numbers. The problem I've found with Hyundai, having owned one in the past, my mom owning one currently and reading a lot if reviews as they aren't as good day-to-day as their numbers suggest and age like milk instead of wine. Hyundai keeps improving by leaps and bounds model after model, but their cars seem to be junk, albeit functional junk, inside 5 years. They're great on paper though, review as a new car favorably and have an aggressive price point.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I have the Touring, and it comes with the Nav and the Sensing. Having driven 2 generations of Civics before this, I'll say, the functionality the Nav provides is easily replaced by Google Maps. Sensing? I can't imagine life without it. LKAS and CMBS imo are by themselves worthy of a trim level. But I hear ya about the way they stack up the trims, I'm shopping for the new Accord and hate how trims are set up like cable tv package choices. :confused:
I'll agree with this post. Honda Sensing is absolutely amazing! Is Honda Sensing only on the Sport Touring hatch or is it available on all of the other trims?
Sponsored