Civic hatchback vs Crossover?!?

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I know it's apple and orange comparison.
But if you need to move up to crossover, for the cargo space etc, but don't want to lose the driving fun with the Civic, which one you think will get you closest to a Civic in terms of driving dynamic. A CRV or a CX5? Forester XT is no more so not including that. Maybe have to spend twice the money for a Luxury crossover? Like a Q5 or X3.
Sponsored

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
I am shopping myself now between a Civic EXT Hatch and a small crossover. I liked how the Nissan Rouge drove; The CRV would probably drive not too different as the Civic when it comes to power. The Mazda has a nice center dash / console.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
You'd need to get a crossover in the class of CRV/CX-5/RAV4/etc. to see the advantages of an "actual" crossover: cargo space, ground clearance, ride height, and available AWD.

If you're simply looking for some cargo flexibility, the Civic hatchback is an excellent choice. Personally I'd prefer it over the compact crossovers like HRV, CX-3, CHR, etc.

OP
OP

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have the Hatchback right now but just thinking about what I can move on to next in a few years. All the popular crossovers just had their new model change so I don't think there will be any new surprise by the time i am ready to switch. I was shopping between the CRV and CX-5 before decided on the Civic Hatchback. The CRV feels too big for me and the CX-5 was fun going around time (maybe even better than the civic hatch) but once I take it to the highway it was too weak. Unfortunately, I will probably have to finally give up and get a crossover for the bigger cargo space next time. Yet, I don't want to lose the "Fun" with the hatchback. Just wonder if anyone had the same the same "issue" I had and what they think.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm such a Honda fanboy that I'd only consider a Honda or Acura crossover/SUV if I have to buy one.

And "have to buy one" means "somebody is holding a gun to my head and saying, 'BUY A CROSSOVER OR I'LL KILL YOU.'"

The CRV is just a taller, tippier, heavier Civic with all-wheel-drive. I've usually ridden with my wife in hers (we got our CRV and Civic on the same weekend) and have only driven it a few times. All the hands-on stuff -- switches, controls, displays, etc -- feel good in ways that only Honda seems to have regularly figured out.

But dammit, it's big, and it makes my FK7 feel like a go-cart, even though they're both the same length (the Civic's wheelbase is a little longer, believe it or not).

OP, you're not going to be able to fool physics and make a crossover feel as spritely as a lower-slung car. Well, maybe with some major-league suspension tuning (meaning, don't just slam the thing to the ground, but actually get the spring rates, shock dampening, and roll center to work for you), but that'll take some expertise and cash.

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
You want fun then go with an Jeep Grand cherokee with the Hemi V8. I had one and was lots of fun.

handa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe 2.0 (Traded), 2017 Honda Civic Hatch LX 6 Speed (Current)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I traded my 2016 coupe in recently and was considering a crossover. Ended up finding a nice deal on a hatchback. I would’ve probably ended with an old school RDX with the turbo if I hadn’t found this car

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
There's always the Crosstour ... If they'd released a new one, that's what my wife would be driving.

OP
OP

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I'm such a Honda fanboy that I'd only consider a Honda or Acura crossover/SUV if I have to buy one.

And "have to buy one" means "somebody is holding a gun to my head and saying, 'BUY A CROSSOVER OR I'LL KILL YOU.'"

The CRV is just a taller, tippier, heavier Civic with all-wheel-drive. I've usually ridden with my wife in hers (we got our CRV and Civic on the same weekend) and have only driven it a few times. All the hands-on stuff -- switches, controls, displays, etc -- feel good in ways that only Honda seems to have regularly figured out.

But dammit, it's big, and it makes my FK7 feel like a go-cart, even though they're both the same length (the Civic's wheelbase is a little longer, believe it or not).

OP, you're not going to be able to fool physics and make a crossover feel as spritely as a lower-slung car. Well, maybe with some major-league suspension tuning (meaning, don't just slam the thing to the ground, but actually get the spring rates, shock dampening, and roll center to work for you), but that'll take some expertise and cash.

Have to get crossover as in I needed the extra passenger and cargo space for family. Wife sit in the back with baby now and is cramp even thought Civic is pretty roomy for a compact. The stroller takes up half the cargo which leaves me just enough space for diaper bag and groceries. I didn't even think about road trip or vacation yet. If we decide to have a second kid, I will have to get a crossover or else I probably can't fit everyone and things in there.

I felt the same sitting in the CRV. Felt like I'm sitting in a big van. I was actually talking to dealer about pricing on the CRV but in the end I really don't wanna do it. I'm sure CRV is far from fun to drive compair to the Civic. Pretty much the same engine with more weight. As good as the Honda's CVT, it's fun sucking, even on a Civic, it has to be worse on the CRV.

If I can spend money to get the fun I would rather spend it on Luxury brand crossover instead of mods. For starter, I will get a better seat. I have to get a giant back cushion or else I get back pain. Theres also options for sport suspension and active dampering. If I stick with Honda/acura the current RDX didn't get a great review, but the new one might have a chance. I also looked at the spec of the Audi Q5, it can beat the Civic hatchback in a drag race. But luxury brand also mean I will have to spend two Civic money for one car.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Have to get crossover as in I needed the extra passenger and cargo space for family. Wife sit in the back with baby now and is cramp even thought Civic is pretty roomy for a compact. The stroller takes up half the cargo which leaves me just enough space for diaper bag and groceries. I didn't even think about road trip or vacation yet. If we decide to have a second kid, I will have to get a crossover or else I probably can't fit everyone and things in there.
Don't get a smaller crossover, then. The size class that contains the HR-V (and new Toyota C-HR) feels smaller inside than the Civic does. They're taller, but they're also shorter and narrower, and you (and your wife) will feel cramped with two kids.

Maybe you need a smaller stroller, too. ;) Why, back in my day, my sister and I and Mom and Dad did all our vacations in a subcompact Plymouth Valiant sedan...

OP
OP

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Don't get a smaller crossover, then. The size class that contains the HR-V (and new Toyota C-HR) feels smaller inside than the Civic does. They're taller, but they're also shorter and narrower, and you (and your wife) will feel cramped with two kids.

Maybe you need a smaller stroller, too. ;) Why, back in my day, my sister and I and Mom and Dad did all our vacations in a subcompact Plymouth Valiant sedan...
No way I'm going subcompact anything now.
I was at the dealer when the HRV first came out few years ago. I had the Fit at that time and I love the space it has. But I was so uncomfortable in the HRV. No lumber and the gas tank under me is getting in my feet's way.

I don't see how two rear facing car seat can fit in a subcompact. They are huge. I mean even for a "regular" size car. I cannot imagine having a car seat behind my seat, I need my space to drive. Maybe space will be better once kids are forward facing? I actually just bought a new light weight stroller, and it takes a bit over half the cargo floor space so it's a bit over 1/4 or 1/3 of the hatch. It feel so good to have space for groceries and shopping bags.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can fit three rear facing car seats in the back of a Civic. I've actually tried. Shit. Three seats will fit in the back of the little Fiat "suv". However, things fit much more comfortably in my mother's Tahoe. Do you ultimately want sporty, safety, space, ease of access? Jeep for sporty, Ford for average, Chevy for space. Be honest about your needs, concerns, and wants, and what you ultimately need and can afford.

OP
OP

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
You can fit three rear facing car seats in the back of a Civic. I've actually tried. Shit. Three seats will fit in the back of the little Fiat "suv". However, things fit much more comfortably in my mother's Tahoe. Do you ultimately want sporty, safety, space, ease of access? Jeep for sporty, Ford for average, Chevy for space. Be honest about your needs, concerns, and wants, and what you ultimately need and can afford.
How was your driving position after putting the the three car seat in the back of the Civic. I can try it myself when I have the chance. But i guess you have to be really upright and close to the wheel?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How was your driving position after putting the the three car seat in the back of the Civic. I can try it myself when I have the chance. But i guess you have to be really upright and close to the wheel?
I'm 5'9" and just had my seat up against the rear facing car seat. Maybe one click closer than I normally keep my seat. Fortunately I'm not planning on having triplets or three babies anytime soon. :D
Sponsored