Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT) vs. Subaru BRZ (6M)

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
This was a fun one. On my way home from work today a hot boi in his BRZ pulled up to me at a red light. It seems like most guys in a BRZ/T86/FRS have learned to leave even lightly modified Civics alone. This guy didn’t have such reservations. He revved up at me and it was on.

My Civic Hatchback: Engine mods are only a cold air intake and ignition coils. I’m on lighter wheels, but tires are stock.

The BRZ: Looked pretty much stock to me.

Result: I probably wouldn’t be here talking about it if I didn’t win haha. I got him by about half a car length before having to back off due to traffic. We were around 65-70 mph at this time. The guy turned out to be a good sport about it and rolled his window down to give me a little clap and a smile. It’s nice to see that with mild upgrades the Civics can consistently outperform the entry level sports cars out there. Now I wonder what it would have been like if I got a tune ?
Sponsored

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
If you had a tune and a manual, you would probably spin a lot more your first 2 gears.
At least this happens to me. Panic throttle spins 2nd like hell. I can't tell about CVT though

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you had a tune and a manual, you would probably spin a lot more your first 2 gears.
At least this happens to me. Panic throttle spins 2nd like hell. I can't tell about CVT though
With stock tires and a tune, we get wheelspin too.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve only experienced spin in the CVT when accelerating really, really hard from a dead stop WOT with traction control off. The ECU will drop the revs once you get close to redline and the spin stops.

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think traction control takes over 2 times in 2nd gear calming down my foot!

I think while spinning so much, you may loose to a weaker car

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With stock tires and a tune, we get wheelspin too.
What do you do about it?
I experience this since last week when I got tuned
Sometimes accelerating 2nd while a turn, car would go straight if electronics didn't interfered the last moment and leave the car alone to turn

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What do you do about it?
Sometimes accelerating 2nd while a turn, car would go straight if electronics didn't interfered the last moment and leave the car alone to turn
Swap an LSD from an SI in lol. But in seriousness, I’m not sure. The Civics even untuned shoot fast out of turns and I’ve experienced wheel spin doing the same. I’m hoping more grip from new tires will help once I get new ones. I don’t get the sense the car is struggling to put down the power. It does feel like the stock tires just aren’t up for spirited driving. I’ve heard the same complaints from others here before.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you do about it?
Honestly I don't really do anything. Personally, I only spin the tires if I try to as an above poster said. Try not to stomp on the throttle in a turn. Wait till your wheels are straight before accelerating or braking is a good rule of thumb. Your tires can only do one thing at a time optimally: turn, brake or accelerate.

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was just trying to do a time trial and keep ktuner logs for my new tune. A while later of my 2nd gear spinning I had a full 5th with 143 mph. Thankfully without tire grip issues even with light cornering in that speed. I wonder what would happen instead of breaking if I had put a 6th.
Sponsored