ColdHowlz

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm looking into buying a Civic Hatchback 17-21 as my first car but I'm kind of hesitant about it since I've heard that this car requires more frequent maintenance and better habits. I've seen other users mention things like not idling for too long or keep away from short trips which is kind of a big turn off since these are my habits. I quite often make short trips and idle for passengers. I frequently drive in stop and go traffic and use highways during rush hour so I usually end up in traffic jams. I have driven a Civic Hatchback before and really enjoyed it but I'm afraid that my inexperience with car maintenance and poor driving habits might cost me a lot or cause irreversible damage to the car. I'd like to know what its like to maintain this car and whether its suitable for the type of driving I'm going to use it for.
Sponsored

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I've had mine for probably around a year. I take a ton of short trips for my job and have had no issues. If by frequent maintenance you mean oil changes and little things like that you should get into the habit of that for all cars because that keeps them running well. But it seems like they do pop up frequently I must say. But I do drive a lot so that may just be me. Other than that I've had no issues, great car in my opinion.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get yourself a non-turbo hatchback and you will be fine without the oil dilution concern. I bought my 2018 sport touring brand new and have put about 26k trouble-free miles on it. Since 2019, I have been working from home and only use the car for short trips during weekends, so I change the oil every 3500 miles or every 6 months.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have 2018 hatchback it comes with brake hold feature witch is made for stop and go traffic and full synthetic oil gives about 7000 miles until needs to be changed. About being idle for too long and making short trips being bad for a car is a myth lol it just doesnt make sense

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Get yourself a non-turbo hatchback and you will be fine without the oil dilution concern. I bought my 2018 sport touring brand new and have put about 26k trouble-free miles on it. Since 2019, I have been working from home and only use the car for short trips during weekends, so I change the oil every 3500 miles or every 6 months.
All 10th gen hatchbacks are turbocharged, at least in the U.S.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
About ... making short trips being bad for a car is a myth lol... it just doesnt make sense
Not a myth. If you tend to drive mostly short trips of just a couple miles (where the engine never really gets to normal operating temps) it could create more oil dilution.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I work from home, drive short trips (less than 2 miles) to pick up the kid and it idles the whole time while I'm waiting for dismissal. I just try to make sure the car warms up with a little spirited driving coming home.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The short trips are really only a problem if you're never letting the engine get to temp. Idling not so much. I mean the big thing is just making sure it's never in a spot where you're never getting it up to temp and driving, so if you have short trips like 4 days then go take it for a quick 15 min cruise and you'll be fine.

Eastside23

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've had my 2018 hatch sport for over a year now. Can't say I've had any problems. Maybe just the serpentine belt squealing when the AC is on. I think they all have some AC problems until they are changed. I think.. I haven't changed mine yet as I live in a cold area so may do that in the summer.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's a Civic - you'll get lower mpg due to short trips/stop&go (but much better than most any other vehicle in its category). Just follow the maintenance minder and you'll be golden.

OP
OP

ColdHowlz

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What's oil dilution and is it bad?

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
As others have said, short trips are fine as long as once or twice a month you go for a decent drive, 30 min or more to get the engine warm and help get rid of all the humidity it built up inside the engine from not getting warm enough for long enough. You can see it happen if you remove the oil cap and check inside it, there will be some whitish gunk forming over time, that's water mixing with oil and the best way to get it out is to drive it for a while. You'll be fine with this car, even turbo if you just take it for a longer drive every other week. Plus there is so much room in it for other people and stuff it almost feels like an SUV. I shoved a 55" TV stand inside with the hatch closed..try to do that with any other hatch on the market today.

If you find you can't take the car for a longer trip then change the oil more often that's it. I do mainly highway and change it every 7500 miles as I have tuned it and feel it needs better maintenance because of it. If you change it twice a year regardless of mileage you shouldn't run into any issues because of your driving habits.

Btw, been a mechanic for 15 years so I'm not just talking out of my ass about this stuff, I've done plenty of short trips with other cars and seen that stuff but again, nothing a bit more maintenance can't fix. This also goes for non-turbo cars as well so either engine you choose you should do the same.

Eman

First Name
Eman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
2018 LX HB with 102K miles. Only issue I had was radiator leak problem replaced under warranty. During winter months I start the car to warm it up, it little gets COLD in Northern IL :)
Sponsored