Civic hatchback or GTI

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bottom line is that in terms of out of the box performance, the GTI is in a different class. DSG vs. CVT; 250 vs. 180 horsepower.

But the Sport Touring is a nice, reliable package with great gas mileage and decent handling.

If the price was similar on the used '17's, I'd lean toward the GTI. If the GTI costs much more, I'd go Civic.
GTIs with about 35K miles when I was looking were about 23-25K used as a CPO. I have a feeling a Civic would be at least 3-4K cheaper depending on trim.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
The GTI will be more fun to drive, and is a better car all around. The DSG is one of the best automatic shifting transmissions in the price point. However, it costs more than a Civic in most instances, especially used. VW is better than they used to be but reliability wise it’s still probably a less safer bet than Honda.

As for the Civic, it is still a good car by every measure. The 1.5T is very efficient and still zippy enough to have some fun. The CVT is very reliable, most failures are due to people using modifications of some sort. The Civic would be cheaper in the long run by every measure. The GTI competes with the Civic Si primarily, not the regular Civic hatchback.
Si is more fun than the GTI, which is more about refinement - it's a bit numb in comparison.

If getting an auto, the DSG would be my choice over the CVT. The Si manual is much nicer than the GTI 6mT.

WHen shopping GTIs, keep in mind new ones are going for almost $8k off, although the 2020s are mostly gone now and discounts on 2021 aren't that good yet.

So a used one for $23k is not a good deal.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bet there will be some steep discounts on 2020 GTIs at the end of the year with the MK8 coming. I just don’t think I’d want in on a used GTI. When I was shopping in 2017 the S trim GTIs were selling for $21-22k new in my market towards the end of the year. That was October. In December/January a Sport trim DSG was $22.5k + TTL. That was like $7,500 off MSRP. I have not been shopping VW seriously since then, but they have much bigger dealer discounts than Honda.
I could have got about $8k off a new 2020 GTI SE w/ perf package - that was really tempting but I just liked the feel of the Si more when driving.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Si is more fun than the GTI, which is more about refinement - it's a bit numb in comparison.

If getting an auto, the DSG would be my choice over the CVT. The Si manual is much nicer than the GTI 6mT.

WHen shopping GTIs, keep in mind new ones are going for almost $8k off, although the 2020s are mostly gone now and discounts on 2021 aren't that good yet.

OP isn't looking at an Si. He's deciding between a Sport Touring hatch and a GTI SE. Not sure why the Si is being compared here.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag

Si isn’t available as a hatch, like the GTI or Sport hatch. People would maybe cross shop a GLI Jetta against a Si, but the SI never even crossed my mind for a millisecond when buying the GTI.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could have got about $8k off a new 2020 GTI SE w/ perf package - that was really tempting but I just liked the feel of the Si more when driving.
I did not know those deals existed when I bought my mazda, it might’ve been close if I could’ve gotten that much off.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was planning to get the DSG, but I wasn’t planning on stage tuning the MK7. Therefore, I feel like it’s not worth getting since I’m not taking advantage of the performance. I was considering MK7 because I heard the 1.5t isn’t all that great and reliable. However, I do want something lightweight fast.
I wouldn't buy the MkVII.5 cause you think it's gonna be more reliable (that's wrong), but it's going to be way more fun than a CVT Sport Touring, the seats are much better, better sounding engine, has an LSD, LEDs - GTI hands down imo, unless you really need the trunk space - the hatch Sport has a much more useful trunk if the back seats are up. GTI is really only useful if you can fold the seats down. I can't do that easily since I have 2 kids, that was a major negative of the GTI - the short, tall trunk.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bottom line is that in terms of out of the box performance, the GTI is in a different class. DSG vs. CVT; 250 vs. 180 horsepower.

But the Sport Touring is a nice, reliable package with great gas mileage and decent handling.

If the price was similar on the used '17's, I'd lean toward the GTI. If the GTI costs much more, I'd go Civic.
I'd try to spring for a 2018 or 2019 GTI - you'll get the 6 year warranty which is transferable, you can find an SE perf package, which is the one to own imo. You'll get the LSD, LEDs, adaptable suspension, Fender audio, awesome leather seats - that's probably the same money as a 2017 Sport Touring hatch, which probably has a $1000 condenser failure waiting for you. My Sport hatch did.

The GTI SE PP is so much more car.

OP
OP

iitsdavis

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 civic
Country flag
To everyone that replied on this post, thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. What about the oil dilution that is being brought up on the civics? Is that something to worry about if I were to purchase the civic?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To everyone that replied on this post, thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. What about the oil dilution that is being brought up on the civics? Is that something to worry about if I were to purchase the civic?
A good question. It’s a question a lot of people ask though there’s no trail of wrecked engines from oil dilution after about 5 years.

The GTI also has a DI engine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

...and the internet is full of MK7 GTI owners full of worry as well. Doing oil analysis's. Questioning whether or not they’ll be ok. I’d say the concern is a wash between the 2 cars.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I still think the two cars you are comparing (Civic Sport Touring; VW GTI SE) are in two different classes. The GTI is a hot hatch, the ST is much more lukewarm.

The Civic ST is more similar to cars like the Mazda 3 or Elantra GT in terms of performance. On the other hand, a tune and some decent tires inch it close to GTI territory.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can probably still find new Elantra GT NLines in DSG, not a bad alternative. Probably $22k with 0% financing and the long warranty. Mazda 3 is also great if you don't mind the hatch styling. I think they may have added CarPlay to some older models via update.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can probably still find new Elantra GT NLines in DSG, not a bad alternative. Probably $22k with 0% financing and the long warranty. Mazda 3 is also great if you don't mind the hatch styling. I think they may have added CarPlay to some older models via update.
I think the GT N Line (same car as the respected European i30) is a good, yet overlooked model. With a 201hp/195tq turbo, 7 speed dual clutch and that 10 year warranty, it's a good sleeper choice. It also has that classic GTI-like hatch styling.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic hatchback or GTI 35141-elantragtn-line-1547230622

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the GT N Line (same car as the respected European i30) is a good, yet overlooked model. With a 201hp/195tq turbo, 7 speed dual clutch and that 10 year warranty, it's a good sleeper choice. It also has that classic GTI-like hatch styling.

35141-elantragtn-line-1547230622.jpg
Test drove one of these. The price was too high so I passed on it but I really enjoyed it. It corners very well and is a ton of fun with the DCT.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Test drove one of these. The price was too high so I passed on it but I really enjoyed it. It corners very well and is a ton of fun with the DCT.
the model with the safety suite is crazy expensive like $29k. If you don't need that it's a decent deal though.
Sponsored