Civic Hatch 1.5L engines horsepower and torque differences between trims?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 CX Hatch w/ B18C-R (JDM) swap & 2017 EX 5-door Hatch
I was reading this review that Google News linked me to for the 2107 hatches this morning- http://www.tflcar.com/2016/11/2017-...-first-drive-review-the-return-of-cool-video/

They list the different currently available trims for the hatch - LX MT, LX CVT, Sport MT, Sport CVT and EX/EX-L CVT plus the HP, torque & MPG of each. I have a couple questions:

1. Are they all the same engine, which based on the 2016 1.5T info from wikipedia is the "L15B7"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_L_engine#L15B7

2. What accounts for these differences in power? I am assuming that the CVTs lose a bit of torque because of a torque converter? But the Sport models are making a decent bit of HP more. Is that something mechanical like the different muffler or is it simply a different ECU flash that is unleashing a bit more power but sacrificing a tad bit of MPG?

I don't remember where, but I do recall something about a Honda dealer ECU re-flash that actually does just this? Is that all you really have to do to turn a 2017 CVT EX Hatch engine into a CVT Sport engine? That would be pretty cool.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
The exhaust is different. You can look up the parts on hondapartsnetwork.com. It uses a different exhaust from the midpipe back. You can buy the TGG midpipe but not the rest.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 CX Hatch w/ B18C-R (JDM) swap & 2017 EX 5-door Hatch
The exhaust is different. You can look up the parts on hondapartsnetwork.com. It uses a different exhaust from the midpipe back. You can buy the TGG midpipe but not the rest.
Thanks for the link but the hatch isn't an option yet on that site, they only have the 2017 sedan and coupe.