Civic Fuel Economy Range

TurboBlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hi civic owners,

I have a 2017 civic hatchback lx manual. Put on 3000 kms (1800 miles) on the car and I am getting roughly 500 kms (310 miles) per tank by driving in 50 city 50 hwy and making slow starts off the light.

After reading other threads I've realized it seems that everyone is getting way more distance out of their tanks, is there anything I can to do or should be concerned about?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Joshv06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic touring coupe
Country flag
I am getting roughly the same in my car. I got around 3000km and get about 500km driving 50/50.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not expect any issues with your car. I'd recommend researching other fuel saving techniques such as avoiding unnecessary braking. Unfortunately the biggest factor is just the roads you drive. Start/stop city driving is going to send your fuel economy gauge the wrong direction every time.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
I would not expect any issues with your car. I'd recommend researching other fuel saving techniques such as avoiding unnecessary braking. Unfortunately the biggest factor is just the roads you drive. Start/stop city driving is going to send your fuel economy gauge the wrong direction every time.
Yup. City driving absolutely kills MPG. You'll notice that every time you idle the green eco bars are white and your MPG goes down. I have a commute of 45 miles each way but with no city driving involved (I live in the country). I have a range of 575 miles consistently.

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I have 27k miles, drive it like I stole it, and I get around 340 miles per tank. This is with driving in S at 45 mph or less, launching in L, etc. I live in the mountains so most of my driving is up, down, and around hills, a little city driving, and almost zero highway.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
My last tank the car compy computed 40.4 MPG, I calculated 39.7. Mostly highway miles, CVT trans.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Nope, your range falls right in line. I'm 95% city/5% highway, and I get 320-330 miles (515 - 530 km) per tank with Econ on. If I turn off Econ, I get less mpg/range.

Begg1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just one Civic
this is the reason why I'm here... I read online other people with the same car going far more with a full tank... started to search information and now i'm here... getting so worried that there's something wrong... thanks so far and please come back with updates if you find anything! i'm searching for hgh reviews as well as i need to stay at home to heal. but in the meantime i would really appreciate some help.

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is the reason why I'm here... I read online other people with the same car going far more with a full tank... started to search information and now i'm here... getting so worried that there's something wrong... thanks so far and please come back with updates if you find anything!
From your description of your driving you should rest assured there is nothing wrong with your car. Driving mix with that much city driving really knocks MPG down.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is the reason why I'm here... I read online other people with the same car going far more with a full tank... started to search information and now i'm here... getting so worried that there's something wrong... thanks so far and please come back with updates if you find anything!
One suggestion. Sometime when you have a day off, take a 200-300 mile drive out into the country with steady speeds. Fill up the gas tank before and after the trip. You should see a noted improvement in your MPG. Fi

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I'll average between 280-300 miles per tank, but I primarily drive in a hilly Vermont town. To me, this is a no-brainer--the more often you tap the accelerator, the more gas you use. In a city with traffic lights, lower speed limits, and shorter drives, a lower range makes sense. A highway cruise with my EX-T sedan between the 55-65 mph sweet spot usually nets me 40-47 mpg.

I'm pretty sure the range calculation is based on previous trips in your trip computer. When I drove from Burlington, VT to NYC in December with my snow tires on, it said 320 miles of range when I started the trip with a full tank. Trip was 352 miles. Finished the trip with 42 miles of range left on the clock, 360 miles later.

TL;DR - Range is probably computed based on your "average" driving style. You can probably get 350-400 mile trips out of your car if you wanted to.

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
I'll average between 280-300 miles per tank, but I primarily drive in a hilly Vermont town. To me, this is a no-brainer--the more often you tap the accelerator, the more gas you use. In a city with traffic lights, lower speed limits, and shorter drives, a lower range makes sense. A highway cruise with my EX-T sedan between the 55-65 mph sweet spot usually nets me 40-47 mpg.

I'm pretty sure the range calculation is based on previous trips in your trip computer. When I drove from Burlington, VT to NYC in December with my snow tires on, it said 320 miles of range when I started the trip with a full tank. Trip was 352 miles. Finished the trip with 42 miles of range left on the clock, 360 miles later.

TL;DR - Range is probably computed based on your "average" driving style. You can probably get 350-400 mile trips out of your car if you wanted to.
Yeah i drive in a hilly area suburbs of philly...some days i drive no more than 10-15 miles max. Getting about 400 miles to a tank, but that should increase with summer travel

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm gonna swap in a tank from a Chevy Suburban and convert the engine to diesel. That way I'll get 1500 miles per tank. ;)

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Traffic lights and short distances less than 2 miles make my gas mileage in the low 20s. With stop and go highway traffic, it depends in how fast the going is and how long you are stopping for. I have noticed my gas mileage being higher on my commute during Christmas break when less people are on the road. There's still traffic but not as heavy. I have yet to have a full tank above 40. My average is 33-37.

beatleknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTX
Country flag
Just over 9000 miles and I'm averaging 36.4 mpg. Commute is 6.5 miles one way so I take a longer drive on weekends on the highway. City driving does kill mpgs.
Sponsored