Civic dash cam install: Mini0806

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Whether you consider a dash cam a novelty or security, there is really no excuse to not having one nowadays. Sure, the Russian videos of the giant meteor streaking across the sky was cool along with the rampant jumping onto cars for insurance claims is entertaining, the fact is, the dash camera is one of the best protections to have for an automobile besides insurance.

Speaking of which, there is no better way to prove our innocence than with your own exculpatory, video evidence of red-light runners or road ragers than your own video. Historically, the accident or incident happens and it is up to a cop who shows up after the fact to guestimate the blame which can go a long way toward raising your insurance rates. Of course, if you're really at fault, you probably don't want to share your video but for the time being, personal videos taken from inside your vehicle are still yours.

The benefits of having a dash cam far outweigh the negatives, at least for now. It's amazing that with the ubiquitous camera residing in everything from cell phones to sidewalks, stores and even doorbells hasn't' found its way into cars as standard equipment but until it does, it's up to you to install one.

There are a million choices out there. Some big, some small; some with screens, WiFi, GPS, data acquisition and so on as well as cheaper models without. This thread isn't about which camera to buy but a review about my choice which happens to be a pretty nifty Mini-0806. Details here: http://mini0806.com/spec.html

The 0806 is one nifty, little dash camera from the far East with a cult following. It is well made, has excellent specs and takes great video but beyond that, it is packed with camera features and perks like GPS, audio and a screen for a bargain basement price.

Here is the kit I bought from GearBest. It includes everything in the picture in an upscale feeling presentation:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3481%20eml_zpshl1zalmm

The camera itself is tiny, feels sturdy and materials that don't feel like a cheap Chinese toy:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3483%20eml_zps4roybjkj

This camera actually comes with a screen which even more expensive cameras omit. This is very handy for aligning the camera angle by view instead of guessing as well as reviewing footage on screen. Once the car is turned on, the screen will stay active between 15 seconds to five minutes depending upon your preferences.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3482%20eml_zpsjxoynovz

This model has two memory slots for up to twin 128Gb micro SD cards (memory not included) but that's really pointless since recordings are a max of five minutes at a time before creating a new file, a distinction that separates a dash cam from a GoPro. I chose to install a single 128Gb micro SD and set the camera to record over the oldest videos once full. Really, the only time you're going to benefit from your recording is right after an accident so five-minute segments are perfect as opposed to going through 200 hours of a single recording just to get to the point of the accident. Also pictured is the optional GPS base the camera slides into and the bottom of the camera showing its micro HDMI port along with the secondary memory slot.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3486%20eml_zpsbqwzdmhv

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3520%20rml_zpsoc0jhibb

While this camera can run on its own battery, that requires recharging it every day which is a pain. I chose to permanently install my dash cam via the available hard-wire kit, a surprisingly cheap, $8 option.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3480%20eml_zpsftbsstd

The only other option is a polarizing filter and get this: the Mini0806 has a magnetic lens base to simply hold the filter near it and enjoy the little "snap" when the polarizer gets drawn into place. Since it's magnetically attached, you can simply look at the screen and rotate the polarizer until interference like dash reflections and washed out scenery is eliminated! Very cool. The only negative in my case, and it's not really a negative is that I bought a separate polarizer but once I opened the well-presented Mini-0806 box, there was already a filter included! My bad but kudos and thanks to Mini. The difference is pretty amazing as you can see in the video below:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic dash cam install: Mini0806 IMG_3518%20eml_zpspbbexzsm

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums... Mini 0806/IMG_3519 eml_zpsuc1kjk3s.jpg[/IMG]

I won't get into details about installation since every car is going to be different but it's pretty basic. With the hardwire kit, you simply run the wiring along the top of the windshield frame, down the A pillar to the fuse box and along with an Add-A-Circuit, and you're good. One additional feature of the hardwire kit is that you can select "parking lot protection" in that the camera will record while the car is off and after an adjustable impact sensor has been triggered. That sounds handy but I have it shut off on mine.
[ATTACH=full]50583[/ATTACH]

Here is the final installation in my Civic. It is up and out of the way but since the lens is so wide angle, it sees the top of my rearview mirror along with the mirror mount but that's okay.
[ATTACH=full]50584[/ATTACH]

The back of the camera is very well laid out with the screen and LED indicators as to recording status and GPS acquisition which so far has been perfect every time.
[ATTACH=full]50585[/ATTACH]

Overall, I'm very impressed with the size of the mini, the quality of construction and the absolute myriad of settings that I can't really quantify here but suffice it to say that everything from HD quality, frame rates, exposure compensation and white balance for instance is settable in this little powerhouse and those are usually terms reserved for pro SLR cameras.

Since just as much is going on [I]behind[/I] me as in front of me, I bought a second camera to mount in the rear. This will be great for tailgaters who cause an accident or road rage from the rear and then the front. The best part is that once it's configured, you just forget about it. It comes on when you turn your car on and shuts off a few seconds after you've left your vehicle. That's it. The only time I would ever have to mess with it is to yank the memory out after an accident so that if I'm truly not at fault, I don't have to worry about a cop's interpretation of things or partial blame.

Attachments

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
This is a one-minute video showing the difference in video quality without and with the included polarized lens. In the first part, you can see reflections from the windshield and dash along with a somewhat washed out image. Then I attach the magnetically-mounted polarizer and rotate until the picture is shown with saturated colors and no reflections:
[video=youtube_share; To4buRZkrAI]

This one-minute(ish) video is nothing exciting, just to show the resolution at the current settings with text at a storefront and in normal traffic. It also shows my new aftermarket horns to let the douchebag he violated right of way.
[video=youtube_share;IHKYfLw5rQU]

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Admin, please delete thread. Thanks!

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Thanks! I hadn't realized there was already a thread on the subject so no use keeping this one around. Besides your post, it hasn't garnered any interest anyway. Same with my other write ups. I guess it's hard to create any new content that hadn't already been done which is fine since I can get more done without the hassle of taking pictures along the way and then doing a big write up about it.

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Thanks! I hadn't realized there was already a thread on the subject so no use keeping this one around. Besides your post, it hasn't garnered any interest anyway. Same with my other write ups. I guess it's hard to create any new content that hadn't already been done which is fine since I can get more done without the hassle of taking pictures along the way and then doing a big write up about it.

Good article. I signed up just to ask how you attached the camera to the car. Is it double sided tape to the glass or something else?

Also, how's the night videos from your camera?

Thanks - Greg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Good article. I signed up just to ask how you attached the camera to the car. Is it double sided tape to the glass or something else?

Also, how's the night videos from your camera?

Thanks - Greg
The kit comes with two, double-sided adhesive pads. I just used one but the challenge was keeping the screen on so I could move the camera here and there to get an idea of where to permanently place it. It's mounted to window tint which made me a little concerned at first but hasn't budged in the least. I suppose if it ever did, I would Exacto a small square (if I can use Exacto as a verb) and use the spare adhesive pad to mount the camera directly to glass. I'm so thrilled with this, I'm going to mount one in the rear window as well. They're small enough, I suppose I could mount a third over the shoulder if I wanted but I'm sticking with two for now.

Since there's interest, I'm going to see if I can find a night video. I did drive around twilight/dark and I noticed on the camera's screen that the scene was much brighter than actual conditions so that might be a good indication.

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Okay, here is the only video I have of night driving. It's not exciting but gives you an idea of driving around on a rainy night with building signs and street conditions. It really was night but the camera is so bright, it makes it seem like a bit of daylight left.

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Okay, here is the only video I have of night driving. It's not exciting but gives you an idea of driving around on a rainy night with building signs and street conditions. It really was night but the camera is so bright, it makes it seem like a bit of daylight left.

That look pretty good. Thanks. Also thanks for the info on how you mounted it.

Greg

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L
Pearl,

Why do you think the reviews on Amazon for this model are so mixed? 3 star avg. Your response?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mini 0806 is pretty good if you get a working unit. It seems like they have some serious quality control issues with many units going bad within the first week of use.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
One thing to consider, is that if you live in a HOT environment, where summer temps are 100+:

Most of these cams use batteries, which may possibly leak or explode if it gets too hot!

If you fit in that category, you might consider getting one with a capacitor instead!

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How did you run the hard wiring through? I don't have my car on me at the moment as it's in the body shop so really want a dash cam now :(

Edit: nm just read the part where you ran it along the windshield. Doesn't it stand out like a sore thumb though?
Sponsored