Civic CVT Fluid Change with Castrol?

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I suspect that the Honda fluid offers a very low noise and efficient operation of the CVT. I doubt this fluid is synthetic based. It's too cheap.

Apparently all fluids aren't created equal in this respect.

I changed my fluid with this Eneos fluid over 20K miles ago. No problems so far.

CVT Model H | No Limits. No Compromises. Pure Performance. | ENEOS

Yet their more expensive synthetic fluid is supposed to offer a less noisy CVT. Maybe 5% less noise.

ENEOS ECO CVT Fluid | Performance Motor Oil & Transmission Fluid | ENEOS
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I suspect that the Honda fluid offers a very low noise and efficient operation of the CVT. I doubt this fluid is synthetic based. It's too cheap.

Apparently all fluids aren't created equal in this respect.

I changed my fluid with this Eneos fluid over 20K miles ago. No problems so far.

CVT Model H | No Limits. No Compromises. Pure Performance. | ENEOS

Yet their more expensive synthetic fluid is supposed to offer a less noisy CVT. Maybe 5% less noise.

ENEOS ECO CVT Fluid | Performance Motor Oil & Transmission Fluid | ENEOS
*The Castrol Transmax CVT is below $6 per quart in a six-pack and is tagged "Full synthetic."
*Amsoil seems to be no more synthetic than Honda HCF-2.
*ENEOS model H can be bought for $18 in single quarts, and it's a low volume brand here.
*Honda HCF-2 is available for $15.10 in single quarts in the same place. (not much cheaper)
*Ravenol HCF-2 is rather hard to get in the US, but it converts to $18/quart if purchased in the UK from Ravenol-direct). (Actually, even 20% less than that - $14.36 excluding VAT.) I thought I saw a US Ravenol sales site some time ago, but can't find it now.

So none of them is particularly dear, except Amsoil. Moreover, it doesn't seem like there is much of a premium really for the "synthetic" label, probably because they all can be called "full synthetic."

Btw., 5% decrease in noise is practically undetectable by human ear.

"A change of 3dB is accepted as the smallest difference in level that is easily heard by most listeners. It is a slight decrease in volume." 3dB less noise means half (50%) the acoustic energy. Good luck distinguishing noise decrease from 100% to 95%.

That's the kind of advertising they use.;)

Reactions: Myx

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many fluids claim they are specifically only HCF-2? I know only one, the Ravenol does say it's only good for HCF-2 applications.

Castrol says it's good for Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, Hyundai Kia, Chrysler, Mini Cooper, Ford.... and all Honda CVTs except 2001-2007 Fit. While Honda for some reason has at least two CVT fluids and says they are not compatible.

Amsoil is even more universal, as it is additionally fine for German cars too.

I'm not saying these products won't work, but I don't see any proven benefits. The Honda HCF-2 is made by Idemitsu and I don't see any reason to think anything else is better. No one says their fluid can be changed less often than the manufacturer's brands, or that it's specifically better than the manufacturer's fluids. Only general advertising terms like "superior technology," "higher torque capacity," "smoother drive for longer," "high-performance replacement," etc.

Amsoil says "synthetic", but they specify their base oils as "Hydrogenated base oil" CAS numbers 64742-55-8 and 64742-54-8, exactly same classifications as Idemitsu.

Also Castrol "full synthetic" shows "Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light paraffinic," which is the same as Idemitsu Honda fluid and indicates processed petroleum oil.

Ravenol at least specifies some PAO content, which is truly sythetic, so it may be "more synthetic" than the others. It also claims to be specifically HCF-2, and the properties like viscosity seem to follow closely Idemitsu.

So the bottom line is that if I was really bored with the "genuine Honda" HCF-2 fluid by Idemitsu, I would pick the Ravenol.:cool:

This is some very good information. I appreciate you posting this. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uploading a file in reference to the Castrol CVT fluid. Just for personal reference. Nothing to see here. ;)

Attachments

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
Uploading a file in reference to the Castrol CVT fluid. Just for personal reference. Nothing to see here. ;)
I’ll be using Castrol, it’s what was available when I needed to have some. Looks like it’ll do just fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic CVT Fluid Change with Castrol? 4B8BBAC7-B4C5-4BF1-B322-F293006EE833

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's encouraging to hear. I've been using Castrol CVT fluid since the day I bought my car (2nd owner). So far, so great!

Leaux

First Name
Leaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
ALL - I'd go with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic products once out of warranty. I had worked for Mobil and trained in their Lube Sales Engineering program. The stuff is amazing, yes expensive, but amazing.

The key is the base stock, Mobil 1 is a PAO, polyalphaolefin. This stuff is so pure, Mobil adds another chemical to dissolve the additives that doesn't react with the PAO. The engineers designed the oil to be in balance and work in harmony with the engine. You also need to know that Castrol, Amsoil, Royal Purple, and others are MARKETING companies. Yes they have engineers to formulate the oil, yet they don't make it. Further, any engineer can add "stuff" to increase specific properties, but this takes the oil out of balance and can fail in other aspects.

Consider this before you write my view off, Mobile 1 is the standard fill for the following, Porsche, Bently, Aston Martin, Mercedes-AMG, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, Cadillac (certain models). Why not the others listed above?

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31106/polyalphaolefin-pao-lubricants

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
4 quarts OE Honda Genuine HCF-2 Fluid. Per maintenance minder code (3), it gets drained and filled in 50k mile intervals. Nothing to gain with aftermarket fluid, everything to lose.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I just put in Eneos CVT fluid on mine last weekend. I know someone local who has been using Amsoil with nearly the same mods as mine.

Will see how our cars hold up over the next 10k miles.
How has it held up?
Sponsored