Civic Condenser can last only three years?

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
So my 2016 Civic EX AC blew hot air in 2019, and I had it replaced with a new one then.
Honda issued the 10-year extended warranty on defect of their condenser in 2019.
Now three years later, it is blew hot air again.
It wasn't every strong last year, but it worked out for me.
Now I have to take it to dealers again, so on average, the new condenser is only good for three years?
I probably look at another 1-2 visits in that 10 year window.
Sponsored

sillyrabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
They never fixed it to stop developing leaks.

So even if they replace it with a new one, that one will develop leaks over time as well.

So basically yes, you keep getting it replaced until the warranty runs out and then you're stuck with that third or fourth one that will also eventually develop leaks but they won't cover it anymore.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
They also didn't do anything about the exposure to road debris. If it were me; I'd make sure I did the 'gutter guard' thing to protect it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You may have a leak from many parts , not only from the condenser.

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you might want to look into your evaporator possibly leaking. I had my condenser/compressor replaced last year and my car recently started blowing hot air again so I had it checked. Turns out the evaporator was leaking, only thing is that it's not covered under warranty. Thankfully I have an extended warranty on the car. still might be worth a look on your end

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The new condenser has an A02 part number. At the time when they did the replacement check to see the part number you received for the new condenser, it should have an A02 at the end, if it still has A01 then they gave you the existing defective condenser. New part number usually indicates that the part was updated and you shouldn't encounter a leak again. Also Honda doesn't manufacture any AC components, they are all from third party suppliers so it must have been a bad batch.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Here's the thing. A bunch of us have bought a section of this from Home Depot and cut it to fit in front of the otherwise vulnerable condenser. Honda has been very specific in saying they will *not* replace leaking condensers damaged by road debris.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Condenser can last only three years? IMG_20190621_192725

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
My 2016 EX still has all original parts. Plenty of road debris over 140,000 miles. I have been lucky. Not sure why.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's the thing. A bunch of us have bought a section of this from Home Depot and cut it to fit in front of the otherwise vulnerable condenser. Honda has been very specific in saying they will *not* replace leaking condensers damaged by road debris.

IMG_20190621_192725.jpg

Thank's , I have piece at home

This :
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Condenser can last only three years? Capture d’écran, le 2022-03-23 à 14.13.00

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do our 2 Civics in less than an hour. The most difficult part of the job is to put the 12 black cable ties.
My Civic condenser show some outside damage from road rock .I have 80,000 miles
Other Civic with 1 year new condenser show few damage with 3,000 miles.

IMO this metal lath is a must to protect condenser

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Condenser can last only three years? DSC09670

Last edited:
OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
The new condenser has an A02 part number. At the time when they did the replacement check to see the part number you received for the new condenser, it should have an A02 at the end, if it still has A01 then they gave you the existing defective condenser. New part number usually indicates that the part was updated and you shouldn't encounter a leak again. Also Honda doesn't manufacture any AC components, they are all from third party suppliers so it must have been a bad batch.
Thank you for your info.
I just checked my invoice from 2019 repair. Luckily I still keep them. Yes, it is A01 ending.
it says:
" installed 80100-TBA-A01: condenser assy."
The repair was made July 2019, I think the service Bulletin came out in August 2019, a month later.
Maybe at that time, they didn't have the A02 yet?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just curious, when it starts blowing hot air for you, does turning it all the way down to "Lo" turn it cold again? Or does it blow hot air even at the "Lo" setting?