Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Hi, was wondering what upgrades you guys have done to stock Civic air intake, in all my past cars (non Honda) I have always just down the K&N filter drop in upgrade. I’m mainly looking for increase in mpg, was not sure what would give me most mpg a drop in or CAI, if CAI what Kind? I’ve seen moshimoto makes the replacement hose for the harmonica section of the intake but I can’t see that giving more HP or mpg? Just looking for thoughts? I believe the standard drop in K&N gives about 2-3 more mpg. This question goes to all 10th gen Civics.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can go PRL or Mishimoto. Mishi makes a box with cone filter and open intake to the air inlet from the hood/grille. PRL makes the CAI that everyone swears by. I myself ordered the Mishi.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I did the k&n drop in and swapped to 91 octane. It’s noticeable. Also saw and improvement of about 0.5-1mpg overall. I’m adding the prl smooth tube next week.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I did the k&n drop in and swapped to 91 octane. It’s noticeable. Also saw and improvement of about 0.5-1mpg overall. I’m adding the prl smooth tube next week.
Just curious, noticed PRL makes a stage 1 kit that includes smooth tube and drop in filter, curious why you went with k&n instead of PRL kit?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just remembered I bought a K&N Filter like 2 months ago and I still haven't put it in...

God I'm lazy lol

Thanks for the reminder guys :p

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Just curious, noticed PRL makes a stage 1 kit that includes smooth tube and drop in filter, curious why you went with k&n instead of PRL kit?
Not knocking prl’s Filter but I once went with a k&n knock off product called S&B and the filter went rock hard after about 6 months.

Then I bought a Green Filter for another vehicle and the filtering media separated from the rubber surround.

I didn’t want to risk a low quality filter.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Not knocking prl’s Filter but I once went with a k&n knock off product called S&B and the filter went rock hard after about 6 months.

Then I bought a Green Filter for another vehicle and the filtering media separated from the rubber surround.

I didn’t want to risk a low quality filter.
Hmm that makes sense well in that case do I decide moshimoto intake kit or k&n with pro charge tube? Either one seems easy to put in.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Then I bought a Green Filter for another vehicle and the filtering media separated from the rubber surround..
I think the "PRL" filter is actually just a re-branded Green filter.

I've used K&N filters in the past and they're good but I prefer the aFe Pro Dry S filter. Reusable, but no re-oiling needed and it's really well made.

Last edited:

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Hmm that makes sense well in that case do I decide moshimoto intake kit or k&n with pro charge tube? Either one seems easy to put in.
Check out hondata’s dyno testing of intakes on YouTube and you won’t want either.

Injen or AEM cai or PRL cobra are the only ones proven to gain power.

Outside of that I’d say get the PRL stage one. Easy install and I notice a difference in response and sound. Also dyno proven

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Check out hondata’s dyno testing of intakes on YouTube and you won’t want either.

Outside of that I’d say get the PRL stage one. Easy install and I notice a difference in response and sound. Also dyno proven
Will have to check it out, which mods will actually void the warranty with Honda out of curiosity?

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will have to check it out, which mods will actually void the warranty with Honda out of curiosity?
None of them, but also all of them. If the part causes the issue they can/will deny. If the part didn’t cause the issue but they can claim it did then they might deny. Or might not. It is a question without an answer, but no aftermarket part “voids” the warranty outright. YMMV.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Another way of saying this would be, if you’re not getting cold air you’re just making noise.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag

WOPSiWOT