frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Did honda extend our warranty for this AC issue? With my current miles, am I covered under warranty?
The condensers in a LOT of cars has had its warranty extended quite the ways (I forget now but it is well past the normal bumper to bumper). But one thing is for sure, the one part of Hondas that has always been weak is the AC systems. These new 1234YF systems seem even more susceptible to issues...

So far, after getting the siphon tube replaced on mine last year, no issues. They had done the condenser then too as the recall/warranty extension on that part started last spring.
Sponsored

sarahwithajeep

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic, 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Just want to revive this post.
Just today when the weather starting to warm up, I decided to turn on my AC. Only hot air is coming out.
Found out there is no pressure in my AC line. My compressor isnt kicking in.
(just found out our car uses R1234yf)

I have a 2017 hatch sport with 56k miles.

I know this is a big for alot of us 10thgen owners.
Did honda extend our warranty for this AC issue? With my current miles, am I covered under warranty?
I got told that the warranty extension (10 year/unlmtd miles) was VIN specific by the Honda manufacturer. I found the Honda Service Bulletin 19-091 stating this on the National Highway Traffic Safetey Administration website. I called them and they referred me to Honda. I gave them my VIN and they said that mine did not "qualify" - obviously their loophole. So I'm stuck

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I gave them my VIN and they said that mine did not "qualify" - obviously their loophole. So I'm stuck
Could be that your car actually got one of the not munged ones. You do have a 2018 and it could have been assembled after they realized they had a batch of defective condensers.

Also, something to keep in mind is Honda and Toyota, more than most, use two suppliers (or more depending) on most of their subcomponents. So it is also possible your car was assembled from a different batch just by chance. They do track all that and have for a long time. I had a 1989 Accord that they knew shouldn't have a defective seat belt buckle but sent a notice just to double check it and how to do so my own self.

sarahwithajeep

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic, 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Could be that your car actually got one of the not munged ones. You do have a 2018 and it could have been assembled after they realized they had a batch of defective condensers.

Also, something to keep in mind is Honda and Toyota, more than most, use two suppliers (or more depending) on most of their subcomponents. So it is also possible your car was assembled from a different batch just by chance. They do track all that and have for a long time. I had a 1989 Accord that they knew shouldn't have a defective seat belt buckle but sent a notice just to double check it and how to do so my own self.
Thanks for that feedback. I just really didn't feel like taking it to Honda and spending $180 for them to look at it.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for that feedback. I just really didn't feel like taking it to Honda and spending $180 for them to look at it.
Ya, that part, I completely sympathise with. When I first started the adventure into getting my issue figured out, it was not what I wanted to hear when service was telling me to replace the cabin air filters first... It was money out of my pocket but certainly not $180.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If you are over 36k miles you are indeed stuck until Honda agrees to some warranty solution. If you let them take a look, and then they say it will be $2000 to fix, you can either pay $180 for nothing, or $2000 for relatively nothing.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If the dealer is charging the A/C and not finding the leak. Well that’s because they can’t find the leak.
when leak(s) are found.
In order most to least common.
1) condenser
2) compressor
3) suction or discharge lines
4) stuck expansion valve
5) evaporator core (<—- super fun to repair, the entire dash comes out) 8 hours labor

Also with the 10 year extension on the condenser I’d assume the rest will be added in time. Kind of like the hellish 02-06 CRV’s.

btw these systems have problems because of the new R1234YF Freon and the system not being up to the new stuff.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I got told that the warranty extension (10 year/unlmtd miles) was VIN specific by the Honda manufacturer. I found the Honda Service Bulletin 19-091 stating this on the National Highway Traffic Safetey Administration website. I called them and they referred me to Honda. I gave them my VIN and they said that mine did not "qualify" - obviously their loophole. So I'm stuck
Fight that. It’s EVERY 10th gen civic from 2016+

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So - I went to my nearest dealership and they told me they examined the whole system and found no leaks and that it was just out of freon. No charge since it's covered by the warranty. This was 2 weeks ago.

Guess what, my AC went out AGAIN! So, I took it to the dealership and I called the guy and he said oh turns out we have to change the compressor (which is still covered under warranty). BUT, "a rock hit your condenser, and that's not covered by warranty" so that's gonna be $800. Do they think I'm stupid? What do you guys think it's happening here? Did they lie before when they said "they examined everything and found no problems with the system"? OR, they're lying now and just want to find an excuse to charge me for something?
They don't call 'em "Stealerships" for nothing. They'll bend you over and then laugh about it....plus they'll drive the sh*t out of your car while they have it.......
How in the hell did a leak (which when the pressure drops as the coolant leaks out the compressor should shut off immediately) cause compressor damage? Something here smells fishy. If the coolant is gone then there is a leak period!
You guys need to give the dealer a break sometimes. A rock to the condenser is normal. A service dept could show you that very easily. You do know a Honda dealer gets paid by American Honda to service the condenser under the warranty extension right?
If you are nice to your advisor he might charge AH the expensive Freon under the compressor line and just the condenser on the cash pay line.
Also it’s like being nice to your server at a restaurant. Talk up your advisor. Be cool and you’ll likely get a discount.

SemiSpook37

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Picked my 2016 EX up as a replacement for my 2011 Insight back in February (was in an accident and totaled). Noticed early on that the A/C wasn't working and suspected that it might be the condenser (ran into the same issue with my Insight last summer; had to replace both the condenser AND compressor within 3 days of each other; my wallet's still hurting from that one). A full pound of R-1234yf seemed to do the trick...until it didn't about 3 days after I filled the system.

Took it in to the dealer where I got the Civic; service rep warned me up front that if the system issues were due to "outside" issues (i.e. rocks), it'd be $425+. Thankfully, it wasn't that, and I ended up getting the condenser replaced under warranty, especially since I got it just 5 miles shy of 36k miles AND I hadn't even hit the 3k point.

Still, you would think they would better handle this issue since the entire model generation's been affected by it. Either that or maybe stop with the enviro-hack solutions that seem to be plaguing things...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You guys need to give the dealer a break sometimes. A rock to the condenser is normal. A service dept could show you that very easily. You do know a Honda dealer gets paid by American Honda to service the condenser under the warranty extension right?
If you are nice to your advisor he might charge AH the expensive Freon under the compressor line and just the condenser on the cash pay line.
Also it’s like being nice to your server at a restaurant. Talk up your advisor. Be cool and you’ll likely get a discount.
Of course there is no reason to ever stop being nice. In my opinion, even after they tried to cheat you. I never won anything by screaming at crooks.

But, the "a rock damaged your condenser" stories are in 95% of cases an attempt to steal money. Before my condenser was ever hit once, my intercooler would be obliterated by road projectiles. And, dealer shops make much more money on out of warranty repairs, where the sky is the limit, than on warranty repairs, where Honda rates are the limit, so the dealer may see the profit as peanuts.

horpelkrufkin

First Name
Horpel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (and a dead 2006 Honda Civic LX - Engine block cracked)
Country flag
Everyone, I specifically joined this forum (in addition to others) because of the A/C issue.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring (bought used at 53k) and the A/C just stopped working. I was about to recharge the system when I discovered the new refrigerant type. That annoyed me but nothing compared to what happened next...

I discovered the Service bulletin regarding the condenser leak. So I took it into the dealer today for a diagnosis - after making them fully aware that I knew there was a warranty extension on the condenser. They returned with a "Leak in Compressor " diagnosis and a $2200.00 repair estimate.

I've decided I'm not going to repair this. Honda is pissing me off with this crap. 1 year ago, my 2006 civic engine block cracked (bad engine block mold in those models) and now I can't even sell the damn thing. I was 1 year out of the extended warranty replacement but I was still under 100k on the vehicle. (Yes, in 13 years, the vehicle only had 93,000 miles on it)

My 2016 Honda's A/C is failing now and if I were to repair it, I would be out a total of $5000 to Honda's negligence over the last 12 months. I'm hoping this Compressor issue will be added to the extended warranty coverage. Otherwise I'm sweating it out and likely saying goodbye to Honda forever. Toyota is on my future car loan.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Of course there is no reason to ever stop being nice. In my opinion, even after they tried to cheat you. I never won anything by screaming at crooks.

But, the "a rock damaged your condenser" stories are in 95% of cases an attempt to steal money. Before my condenser was ever hit once, my intercooler would be obliterated by road projectiles. And, dealer shops make much more money on out of warranty repairs, where the sky is the limit, than on warranty repairs, where Honda rates are the limit, so the dealer may see the profit as peanuts.
Yep. When I was a service advisor, mechanics hated warranty work, but would snag "customer pay" work out of my hands. I absolutely hated giving customers some of the quotes mechanics would come up with, and knew it was a ripoff. One reason I got out of the car biz.

And unlike what the poster above said, a SA isn't going to give you a discount just because you're being nice.

GARz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017 EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I brought mine in at 47000k. 2017 Hatchback. They said it's based on vin eligibility, a great way to get out of fixing this known issue. I pleaded with the dealer about it, who claimed they'd go to bat for me. Didn't hear back from dealer after a few days, so I ended up filing a complaint/asking for assistance to Honda on their site. A rep from Honda called me telling me that it's not covered and it's specific to vin's only. That they may not cover me because I don't do all my maintenance and oil changes with Honda dealers and that it's my only honda ever purchased (maybe my last depending on how this plays out). She was asking me why I don't bring them in for services to any of the dealers, like it's any of her business and like that has anything to do with their flawed manufacturing and lack of responsibility that they want to assume.

Long story short, she basically stated in not so many words they may or may not do it under "good will" and it will cost me something out pocket as a deductible. Without telling me the amount. Another regional manager is supposed to break the news to me in the coming days if I'm eligible or not.

Oddly, the dealer did call me back before the rep did stating that they're going to cover it, but the condensor is on back-order. So now, I'm at a standstill with both the dealer and honda direct. Awaiting judgement day.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
She was asking me why I don't bring them in for services to any of the dealers,
Well, she is right. ;)
You are like the guy who came to the Godfather Vito Corleone asking him for a favor in the name of frienship. But the Godfather then asked the dude why he didn't care to be his friend until then. Like he never invited Vito for dinner or offered his loyalty.:bow:

You need to first let Honda dealers wet their beaks :cool: a little bit by coming for service, before Honda will care to be your friend.
Sponsored