Kgm32

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart,
Country flag
The cost of any repairs to the dual clutch is very high. I'd prefer to worry about problems with my AC than my transmission!
The cost to repair a CVT (or replace in most cases it seems) is high as well. The AC issue appears to be a real known problem in the Civic. The possibility of a transmission problem exists in both cars but is only a "what if".
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny timing, I was just wondering today why the AC didn't feel like it was getting very cold. There's also a little rattle in the center vents when I turn the fan up past 4/6. I'll definitely keep my eye on this.
So, I noticed that little rattle also! I thought I was just being picky, and didn’t notice it before. It’s so slight that it makes me question my hearing, but your post provided some vindication. Is there a thread on this?

BlueLdr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan (ABM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I noticed that little rattle also! I thought I was just being picky, and didn’t notice it before. It’s so slight that it makes me question my hearing, but your post provided some vindication. Is there a thread on this?
I just did a search and couldn't find anything on the forum. I've had this with at least one of my previous cars, but they were several years old.

Dan.Raw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
DanielSuquitana.com
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS - Honda Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they ever diagnose a leak?

Do they have any type of guarantee such as they'll "top off" the system within 30 or 60 days if it's not blowing out cold air? If you went back every 29 days & complained & they had to add refrigerant every time at their cost they might look a little harder for a leak.

By me there's a couple independent shops that do a lot of AC work. They do other work too but more or less specialize in AC. The kind of place a dealer or other shop might send a car to in order to fix a difficult AC problem.

So - I went to my nearest dealership and they told me they examined the whole system and found no leaks and that it was just out of freon. No charge since it's covered by the warranty. This was 2 weeks ago.

Guess what, my AC went out AGAIN! So, I took it to the dealership and I called the guy and he said oh turns out we have to change the compressor (which is still covered under warranty). BUT, "a rock hit your condenser, and that's not covered by warranty" so that's gonna be $800. Do they think I'm stupid? What do you guys think it's happening here? Did they lie before when they said "they examined everything and found no problems with the system"? OR, they're lying now and just want to find an excuse to charge me for something?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So - I went to my nearest dealership and they told me they examined the whole system and found no leaks and that it was just out of freon. No charge since it's covered by the warranty. This was 2 weeks ago.

Guess what, my AC went out AGAIN! So, I took it to the dealership and I called the guy and he said oh turns out we have to change the compressor (which is still covered under warranty). BUT, "a rock hit your condenser, and that's not covered by warranty" so that's gonna be $800. Do they think I'm stupid? What do you guys think it's happening here? Did they lie before when they said "they examined everything and found no problems with the system"? OR, they're lying now and just want to find an excuse to charge me for something?
They don't call 'em "Stealerships" for nothing. They'll bend you over and then laugh about it....plus they'll drive the sh*t out of your car while they have it.......
How in the hell did a leak (which when the pressure drops as the coolant leaks out the compressor should shut off immediately) cause compressor damage? Something here smells fishy. If the coolant is gone then there is a leak period!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
A few things...

I don't know anyone that drives without only using recirculate. Who wants to breath the air after the moron in the pickup truck in front of you blew toxic diesel fumes and black smoke everywhere, or air from that old junker blowing burned oil and unburned gasoline fumes.

You don't have "freon" in your car.

Automobile AC's are doing absolutely nothing measurable to the atmosphere.

I really hope Honda fixes this (and the fuel contamination). I need a new car. I've been wanting to buy another Civic, and don't want to have to buy another brand, but won't buy a car that is prone to either of these problems.

LOL, for once I agree with Scotty.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The cost to repair a CVT (or replace in most cases it seems) is high as well. The AC issue appears to be a real known problem in the Civic. The possibility of a transmission problem exists in both cars but is only a "what if".
Actually, the cost of CVT repairs came up a while back, turns out that Honda has solved the CVT repair costs barriers with this generation; this CVT is repairable and repairs are the same or less than a comparable auto.

This is NOT true of other manufacturers, especially Nissan and Mini.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
A few things...

I don't know anyone that drives without only using recirculate. Who wants to breath the air after the moron in the pickup truck in front of you blew toxic diesel fumes and black smoke everywhere, or air from that old junker blowing burned oil and unburned gasoline fumes.

You don't have "freon" in your car.

LOL, for once I agree with Scotty.
I also 100% agree with Scotty -- "A good reason to keep your old car"

And yes, my "OLD CAR" has a "FREON" A/C (R12) and it has worked well for 32 years, and blows a lot colder than a 10Gen Civic !! (and does not leak)

Also, the same 32 year old CONDENSER, ( no "holes" in it - obviously) despite it being a lot more exposed to "road debris" than the Civic !!

A thought: Now that Honda has introduced a 10 year warranty on the A/C (with whatever GET OUT clauses there are in the fine print) does that automatically make any Class Action Suites against Honda for A/C issue "GO AWAY" ?

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
I also 100% agree with Scotty -- "A good reason to keep your old car"

And yes, my "OLD CAR" has a "FREON" A/C (R12) and it has worked well for 32 years, and blows a lot colder than a 10Gen Civic !! (and does not leak)

Also, the same 32 year old CONDENSER, ( no "holes" in it - obviously) despite it being a lot more exposed to "road debris" than the Civic !!

A thought: Now that Honda has introduced a 10 year warranty on the A/C (with whatever GET OUT clauses there are in the fine print) does that automatically make any Class Action Suites against Honda for A/C issue "GO AWAY" ?

That is an interesting question.
I happened to be one of those victims that filed reimbursement claim on the new 10Y warranty and got involved in the class action.
My claim is still pending, but it could be approved in the next few weeks possibly.
I also have a class action with a law firm going on. I signed the contract with law firm before the 10Y warranty came out. So I can't back out now.
What will happen if Honda reimbursed me? Am I still eligible for the class action?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
That is an interesting question.
I happened to be one of those victims that filed reimbursement claim on the new 10Y warranty and got involved in the class action.
My claim is still pending, but it could be approved in the next few weeks possibly.
I also have a class action with a law firm going on. I signed the contract with law firm before the 10Y warranty came out. So I can't back out now.
What will happen if Honda reimbursed me? Am I still eligible for the class action?
You will have to ask your lawyer that, but I suspect you cannot "Double Dip". but what do I know--- that's why lawyers get the BIG BUCKS !!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Still trying to Figure out if the 10 year warranty is only on the ORIGINAL factory installed (defective) Condenser, or it it also covers the replacement for the remaining of those 10 years.
Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that when it comes to the replacement one failing, it will only have the typical 1 year, replaced part warranty.

Also, since the Factory Condenser has the same part number as the new ones being fitted, how does anyone really know if the ones being fitted are OK, or just more of the stock of defective ones.

I guess some unfortunate individual will find out soon enough, when their replaced Condenser fails. :doh:

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know what is funny. Good ole Scotty K likes to whine on about Honda automatics as the weak link in a Honda. My 5 Honda ownership experience actually tells me it is the AC systems. Of 5 Hondas all with autos or CVT, two went wrong. AC systems? 4 went wrong, including my not even 2 year old CivicX.

Compressors, condensers, dryers and now the stupid siphon hose. Honda seems to always find a way to futz up their AC systems.

The upside for me with my two current Hondas are that my brother works at a major parts supply store so I got a replacement compressor for our CRV for a great price and that for the new Civic, all the attention to the stupid siphon hose whistle issue got them to see that my condenser needed replacing and they did both under warranty.

I hope that something comes out of it all for all the other owners though. All of us that only suffer/ed the issue with the whistle in the GenX had nothing at all close to a properly consistent experience getting the issue dealt with. This should not be the case.
Rev up your engines !!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just want to revive this post.
Just today when the weather starting to warm up, I decided to turn on my AC. Only hot air is coming out.
Found out there is no pressure in my AC line. My compressor isnt kicking in.
(just found out our car uses R1234yf)

I have a 2017 hatch sport with 56k miles.

I know this is a big for alot of us 10thgen owners.
Did honda extend our warranty for this AC issue? With my current miles, am I covered under warranty?
Sponsored