First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fair enough. One thing I do have going for me is a lack of hills. I would be cautious about doing what I do here in southeast GA if there were elevation changes. This engine is the smallest displacement engine I've ever owned... but has the highest power or torque to displacement ratio of anything I've ever had. One thing I tend to shy away from is the idea of putting high (300+) torque/power number through it ever. I think it's a good engine, from humble beginnings and has some good headroom if you're into giving it a tune. God love the people who want to mod it for big numbers... but I still don't think it's the engine, (or platform for the matter), to do so with. Since I'm not speeding around everywhere... I already have issues with traction at the speeds most of my daily drive entails if I give it the beans.

I still really wish Honda offered the K20 in it's higher revving, higher output variants. Turbo or not, while I kind of grew out of love for my 9th gen Si... I still really, really enjoyed my RSX with it's K20. Even the base with the engine with similar output as the C2 did really well in a car that was similarly light as the CivicX with the 2.0... though it just lacked the fun kick and extra RPM range to wind it out.

I stopped on my way home yesterday for a guy in a older TSX with his hood up.. they have a K24A2... so the same head I suppose as my old type S. He'd replaced his power steering pump and hadn't tightened down the nut on the pulley and.. well... it went badly for him. So... he was trying to get another nut on and I helped him for a bit. Seeing that engine brought back some good memories.

From what I've read... and from this thread too... even without the extra ~1500 RPMs of room the old A2 gave you (you could get a 8600 RPM limit with a flash... they used the same valvetrain as the Rs at the time and it was known to be good for it)... the C2 still gets to be on par with the old performance versions of the NA K. It was plenty for me for a long time. My RSX type-S and 9th gen Si represented about 6 years of ownership between the two... and I was pretty sad to let the RSX go. I'm 2 years in and genuinely like my Si... and think the powertrain has some advantages over the current and old NA K. You hope it would, given it's the 'option'. I do think it lacks character though. It has it... but it isn't the same. The old Ks are very rewarding to drive hard... arguably moreso than an L... even if the L is faster.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do I even drive? yeah 84k miles in 3 years. do you even know what you are talking about? again no one is making power at 600 rpm because no one is launching at 600 rpms.

my 1.5t CVT is just fine at those rpms, I live in DFW with 7.5 million people, I drive into downtown Dallas everyday. I make great use of low speed follow sometimes and I have no issues negotiating awful traffic and stop and go and red lights etc. If I need to zoom around someone, the car does it with ease. This turbo lag you think you know about, doesnt exist, we actually make more tq than you lower in the rpm band than you.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, your average yearly mileage calculated in miles is roughly 26,600 based on the mid 80's comment (35 years or so). Dallas's 28,000 miles per year doesn't seem so dinky to me.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By the way, your average yearly mileage calculated in miles is roughly 26,600 based on the mid 80's comment (35 years or so). Dallas's 28,000 miles per year doesn't seem so dinky to me.
maths is hards for some peoples.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
tuned vs non tuned is lost in these discussions.
km to mi is a tuff conversion. but both of the figures seem to indicate about the same milage per year to me.
another word to worry about " about ".

super sorry did not mean that as a canada thing. but a close to thing.

Last edited:

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
This nonsense is getting old. The sad thing is there are probably some people here that believe the garbage you spout off.

You talk about your 2.0 NA like it's a hot rod. 158hp with minimal torque isn't beating the turbo. It's nearly a second and a half slower to 60.
The same can be said about you too.. the way you talk about your ktuner tunes on the 1.5 cvt like it transforms your car into a Bugatti or something...oh my tsp tune is very quick it's so quick I can do 0-60 in 6 seconds yaayyy

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I guess you can compare these two videos. The first one is a video I found on YouTube of a cvt 1.5t 0-60. It says 7.0 the first run and 7.2 on the second. I actually timed it myself and seemed a little slower. But compared to the second video, which is my 2.0, they are really close. And take into consideration that it had just finished raining so I couldn’t launch it hard like I can when it’s dry. Please excuse my shaky camera. I used one of those cheap suction cup mounts to my driver window lol
It's a almost 7 second car from 0-60 but the gtman talks like it's a Tesla model s

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
It's a almost 7 second car from 0-60 but the gtman talks like it's a Tesla model s
Lol I think I would have to drive off a cliff to accelerate like a Tesla model S. This thread was started to compare the tuned 2.0 vs a stock 1.5t. I think things got off topic lol. I can only compare the tuned 2.0 manual to the stock 1.5t automatic since that’s what I own and drive all the time. From light to light they are about the same, I think that mostly because the 2.0 revs fast and it’s also a manual. But in a quarter mile the 1.5t cvt will catch the 2.0 and win. But it won’t destroy the 2.0 but yes the 1.5t will win every time. But if we are not comparing speed only, then I would have to say the 2.0 manual is a blast to drive! My girlfriend agrees that whenever she drives the 2.0 manual it just puts a smile on your face. It’s just old school feel, and it is no slouch. This is why I say sometimes faster doesn’t necessarily mean better. So it’s best to just test drive them all and pick the one that puts the bigger smile on your face. Because at the end of the day it’s your personal opinion that matters. I truly love both my cars for different reasons, Honda did a great job.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where you are coming up with the Tesla thing. I will say that in L it pulls hard and is right on the heels of an Si stock to stock (6.6 sec 0-60). Tuned with a TSP Stage 1, I'm keeping up with stock GTI's and WRX's. That tune easily shaves a second off stock 0-60 times.

Sure the CVT means keeping torque a little soft down low but above 4,000 rpm it moves briskly on the TSP. On the highway, a 70-120 mph pull happens fast.

Last edited: