mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I guess you can compare these two videos. The first one is a video I found on YouTube of a cvt 1.5t 0-60. It says 7.0 the first run and 7.2 on the second. I actually timed it myself and seemed a little slower. But compared to the second video, which is my 2.0, they are really close. And take into consideration that it had just finished raining so I couldn’t launch it hard like I can when it’s dry. Please excuse my shaky camera. I used one of those cheap suction cup mounts to my driver window lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The one thing that is for sure is in a quarter mile the tuned 2.0 will not beat the 1.5t. The 1.5t might not be as quick off the line but once the turbo starts pulling it catches up and passes the 2.0. But light to light they are about the same

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah if I do get another set of rims and tires I think I’ll go to 17’s and light. So I get some more meat on the tires to.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
The guy is either a troll or is completely delusional. Car and Driver got the 1.5T to 60mph in 6.8 seconds, while they got the 2.0NA to 60mph in 8.2 seconds. Thats a whole 1.4 seconds difference! Here's how big that disparity is, it'll be like comparing a stock Si to a stock Type R in a straight line.
Then Car and Driver needs some driving lessons, I think. Maybe the stick is too much for them.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

Under 1000? What? Lol the turbo has actual torque at just above 2k. The 1.5 is definitely the low end winner here.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
As a 2.0 owner, i can fully say that that the car is dead until about 4k rpm lol. I mean sure it has more than enough power for daily driving, but if i'm trying to accelerate fast or merge onto a fast highway coming off of an exit, you have to rev it out to actually get to where the power lives. Turbo engines are literally known for their torque down low. Plus, at the end of the day the 2.0 is a honda designed 4 cylinder engine, they were never known for their power down low. Again, not saying the 2.0 is underpowered by any means, but the 1.5 and 2.0 power bands are completely different.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Again, not saying the 2.0 is underpowered by any means, but the 1.5 and 2.0 power bands are completely different.

Yeah, and this is what people used to love about these cars. B18C5 anyone? I am Honda hear me roaR........

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As a 2.0 owner, i can fully say that that the car is dead until about 4k rpm lol. I mean sure it has more than enough power for daily driving, but if i'm trying to accelerate fast or merge onto a fast highway coming off of an exit, you have to rev it out to actually get to where the power lives. Turbo engines are literally known for their torque down low. Plus, at the end of the day the 2.0 is a honda designed 4 cylinder engine, they were never known for their power down low. Again, not saying the 2.0 is underpowered by any means, but the 1.5 and 2.0 power bands are completely different.
jred... thanks for acknowledging the reality of the two engines power bands.

Guys, most published tests show a stock 2.0 in the high 7's to low 8 range. The 1.5T with a CVT mostly tested 6.6 to 6.8 seconds. Tuned, it wouldn't shock me to see a 2.0 in the low 7's which is very good and close to a stock 1.5T.

But the tuned 2.0 and the 1.5T would drive differently. With the turbo, I rarely need to go above 3,500 rpm to get some real ooomph. With the 2.0 you need to wring it out in classic Honda style. I miss my high revving CRX and Integra. Here's the thing. A small car, with a relatively small amount of torque, with most power up top, can be really fun to drive hard. That's the 2.0 NA.

With the turbo, you can literally drive it all day and the midrange punch is all the power it needs with the gobs of available torque. The only downside to real exhilaration is that the CVT takes away a bit of the fun factor compared to the manual. For me though, after driving in heavy stop and go with manuals for many years, the Turbo/CVT is a surprisingly good combo.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got to say... when I drive into work, the highest speed limit is 45 mph... with 25 and 35 MPH zones. I go about 25 in 4th gear... 35 in 5th gear... and 45 in 6th gear. I'll idle in 1st to go 3 MPH or in 2nd to go about 6 MPH when I'm inline to get on base. I spend plenty of time crawling along... contemplating my existence on my way into work.

I'm not saying the K20C2 can't do this as well... and doesn't do it well... but my Si with it's little turbo-L does not struggle being driven gently at low RPM at all.

I'd choose to downshift if I wanted to go WOT and build a bunch of boost to limit the stress on the clutch and rods... but I wouldn't floor any manual car... NA or turbo... at 1500 RPMs. Unless I hated it I suppose. T

I'll grant you that people are probably overly down at times on a K20C2 car... but the L15B7 isn't like some underpowered cheap watch out-of-boost that's going to struggle or come apart. It does just fine.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
jred... thanks for acknowledging the reality of the two engines power bands.

Guys, most published tests show a stock 2.0 in the high 7's to low 8 range. The 1.5T with a CVT mostly tested 6.6 to 6.8 seconds. Tuned, it wouldn't shock me to see a 2.0 in the low 7's which is very good and close to a stock 1.5T.

But the tuned 2.0 and the 1.5T would drive differently. With the turbo, I rarely need to go above 3,500 rpm to get some real ooomph. With the 2.0 you need to wring it out in classic Honda style. I miss my high revving CRX and Integra. Here's the thing. A small car, with a relatively small amount of torque, with most power up top, can be really fun to drive hard. That's the 2.0 NA.

With the turbo, you can literally drive it all day and the midrange punch is all the power it needs with the gobs of available torque. The only downside to real exhilaration is that the CVT takes away a bit of the fun factor compared to the manual. For me though, after driving in heavy stop and go with manuals for many years, the Turbo/CVT is a surprisingly good combo.
I couldn’t have said it any better. That’s exactly how I feel about it. I think for a daily driver the 1.5t cvt is a great combo. We also use ours for long trips, which is why we are using it now to go out of town. But in town going through the gears me and my girlfriend agree that my 2.0 manual is more fun to drive. It’s just got that snappy throttle response and fast revving old school charm.
Sponsored