CIVIC 1.5T ARE ONE OF THE BEST HONDAS EVER MADE! I LOVE MY CIVIC! ft; faster than a 2020 BMW X7 M50I

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would like to add to this convo to say that I once beat a FBO 335i in my slightly modded 1995 maxima with 300k miles. It was NOT because my maxima was fast or because I am an good driver. He was spinning tires the whole time. Literally from the moment we took off. The guy actually found me on IG and messaged me asking in I had an engine swap or was boosted...... and he called me a liar when I said it was pretty much intake and exhaust with lowering springs. Good possibility that the guy OP raced was doing something stupid or didn't know how to drive.
"Ah look at this young whipper snapper, maybe he's trying to say hi?"

"Oh my.. is that a civic? Why is he staring at me?? Is he trying to race me??.. Well I did buy an M and I did enjoy the Fast & Furious franchise.. maybe I should test it out.."

"Oh boy.. he's keeping up.. should I press the gas more?? Gosh darn this is the fastest I've ever been, I shouldn't push it too hard just yet..."

"Ah he's already letting off and is giving me a thumbs up.. maybe he likes my car! Ah I made a great choice can't wait to tell my wife Karen that this near 6 figure boat was a good investment "
Sponsored

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Lx"FK7" (Canadian spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

"Oh my.. is that a civic? Why is he staring at me?? Is he trying to race me??.. Well I did buy an M and I did enjoy the Fast & Furious franchise.. maybe I should test it out.."

"Oh boy.. he's keeping up.. should I press the gas more?? Gosh darn this is the fastest I've ever been, I shouldn't push it too hard just yet..."

"Ah he's already letting off and is giving me a thumbs up.. maybe he likes my car! Ah I made a great choice can't wait to tell my wife Karen that this near 6 figure boat was a good investment "
Lmfao thats the best comment ever, I can't stop laughing ?????

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Cool story hearing your side of the OP's race. Now we at least know you were the BMW driver. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:;)

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool story hearing your side of the OP's race. Now we at least know you were the BMW driver. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:;)
DOING MY BEST TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD DURING THESE ~DARK TIMES~

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag

Why does this sound like an anime ???

10/10 comment

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep in mind there's a lot more to that story. That guy had a history of having tuning issues/complaints and getting banned here and coming back with new screen names (papayank to name one). He wants his Civic CVT to be a Corvette killer.:cool:
I'm most definitely NOT a c5-c8 Vette killer.... maybe a small block C3. All I want my car to be is a Corolla hatchback slayer and currently its doing that with no
sweat. While gave to see about the possible GRMN Corolla...

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I'm most definitely NOT a c5-c8 Vette killer.... maybe a small block C3. All I want my car to be is a Corolla hatchback slayer and currently its doing that with no
sweat. While gave to see about the possible GRMN Corolla...
True a small block c3 vette but after 75 even a 454 they weren’t as powerful as the big blocks before 74 and 75 especially 75 with the cats and unleaded fuel and multiple smog and vacuum hoses pretty much a big block pass 75 were boat anchors for all American automakers that’s why the V6s were starting to become the norm

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
OP, regardless as long as you think you won the race - what does it matter what others think? It's funny bc it doesn't matter what forum you go on - everyone thinks their car is the fastest and when it fails - it must be driver error or there is always 'that one guy' who was able to take out supercars - GTRs and sh*t; in the end, meh, who cares. Bc for every one story about 'I beat "fill in the blank"..' there are plenty of stories about how SLOW car ABC is.

To me, my Z is SLOW - plain and simple but it's a fun car that is balanced - and in stock form - it pushes 280WHP - simple bolt-ons and a tune - it's pushing more around 320-330WHP but it can't and won't ever beat a GT Mustang or Camaro (newest gen) especially if they are tuned; but that doesn't take away from the fact that I would never want a Mustang (unless it was GT350) or a Camaro. We like what we like and if you're happy with your car - who cares if it can beat a 'fill in the blank'.

And this might be an unpopular opinion but before you look to do motor swaps and adding all sorts of crazy mods to your Civic - maybe look to see what all that will cost plus the labor (and the 'future' issues down the road) - add those up and see if having that put toward something really fast or fun or 'exotic' would be better - that is what stops me from looking at turboing the Z - like a lot of people in the Z forum say - you got to pay to play - so make sure you have money for WHEN the engine blows vs cutting corners - and I've seen enough vids to know to 'do it right' would be around the $20k mark - for that type of money - I could invest it in a GTR or current Supra and have REAL speed (especially after a tune and DP).

Regardless - sounds like you enjoy your car and are having fun with it -not a lot of people can say that since most drive the 'boring' grocery getter to get to and from work etc.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
OP, regardless as long as you think you won the race - what does it matter what others think? It's funny bc it doesn't matter what forum you go on - everyone thinks their car is the fastest and when it fails - it must be driver error or there is always 'that one guy' who was able to take out supercars - GTRs and sh*t; in the end, meh, who cares. Bc for every one story about 'I beat "fill in the blank"..' there are plenty of stories about how SLOW car ABC is.

To me, my Z is SLOW - plain and simple but it's a fun car that is balanced - and in stock form - it pushes 280WHP - simple bolt-ons and a tune - it's pushing more around 320-330WHP but it can't and won't ever beat a GT Mustang or Camaro (newest gen) especially if they are tuned; but that doesn't take away from the fact that I would never want a Mustang (unless it was GT350) or a Camaro. We like what we like and if you're happy with your car - who cares if it can beat a 'fill in the blank'.

And this might be an unpopular opinion but before you look to do motor swaps and adding all sorts of crazy mods to your Civic - maybe look to see what all that will cost plus the labor (and the 'future' issues down the road) - add those up and see if having that put toward something really fast or fun or 'exotic' would be better - that is what stops me from looking at turboing the Z - like a lot of people in the Z forum say - you got to pay to play - so make sure you have money for WHEN the engine blows vs cutting corners - and I've seen enough vids to know to 'do it right' would be around the $20k mark - for that type of money - I could invest it in a GTR or current Supra and have REAL speed (especially after a tune and DP).

Regardless - sounds like you enjoy your car and are having fun with it -not a lot of people can say that since most drive the 'boring' grocery getter to get to and from work etc.
I agree with your post and I agree on how much adding on to the car
i had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra coupe when I paid it off I was considering a turbo and intercooler for it even some suspension work it was a pretty average car it would have to me in the 5 k area which made me think is it worth putting the money into this car and am I going to be happy with it which at this point I was getting bored of the car so looking at multiple cars I ended up with the EX- T coupe which already came with a turbo and handles good plus performance parts for a civic is easier available

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I agree with your post and I agree on how much adding on to the car
i had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra coupe when I paid it off I was considering a turbo and intercooler for it even some suspension work it was a pretty average car it would have to me in the 5 k area which made me think is it worth putting the money into this car and am I going to be happy with it which at this point I was getting bored of the car so looking at multiple cars I ended up with the EX- T coupe which already came with a turbo and handles good plus performance parts for a civic is easier available
No I completely get where you're coming from. Just recently got my car PIF (well the $ set aside to make it PIF haha) and I'm debating....do I mod it or find something else. The Supra has gone to the top of the list - but I just don't want to give up the manual along with the new Z being out in 2yrs - that is an option as well - but only after we see what it has/does etc. As a 2nd car - I was leaning toward a CTR to be a 'daily' where I could be stupid with the Z and not care if it's down for a little bit (hence why a Z owner is on a Honda forum haha) but with the cost of the CTR and the ADM being added - it is making me have 2nd thoughts - but I do like this forum hence why I am on here as well.

Originally I was like - buy a cheap daily - maybe something like a RSX Type-S or a Fiesta ST (something that I would keep stock except for MINOR mods) and then look to turbo the Z. Sounded like a great idea but the more I thought about the cost of what would have to be put into the Z-and watching videos of people having problems - I was like - I will be one of those that will have issues - just the way my luck goes....so now I'm leaning toward keeping the Z and just adding suspension mods and being FBO - but even conservatively - that will be around $7k - looking at FortuneAuto coilovers, SPL parts to take care of the tires/camber issues and finish off the suspension with a swaybar for the frontend. For boltons - just adding an exhaust, HFC and intake along with a tune - roughly and I might be off - i'm thinking it will be close to about $7k (which I'm okay with) but.....it's still A LOT of money. So that has me thinking - trade it in for a CTR - get a lower payment and then do 'small mods' to the CTR like smaller wheels and a conservative tune along with some CF parts while I save up to get either a used or new (more than likely a used) Supra to have a car that hopefully will get to be a 450-500WHP car for fun.

Again - just dreaming right now - haven't really decided but I KNOW the mod the Z is the cheapest way to get a faster and 'fun' car while still being in the 'reliable' range. I seem to change my mind every couple of weeks on things but a PIF > low carpayments for a CTR so that is kinda where I'm at.

*whew....long post - sorry haha.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The crazy thing is even a base tune makes the stock tune seem amazingly sluggish.
I've hmmm'ed and haw'ed over getting a tune since Day 1 b/c I strongly believe what you just said. Problem is I'm too big of a weenie and don't want to hurt my CVT. [And I even consider myself a risk taker!] In the end I just want my civic to provide enjoyment for years and years to come and I feel my best bet is leaving her stock, save for some bolt-ons. In reality, she's fast enough for what little amount of driving I do.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would like to add to this convo to say that I once beat a FBO 335i in my slightly modded 1995 maxima with 300k miles. It was NOT because my maxima was fast or because I am an good driver. He was spinning tires the whole time. Literally from the moment we took off. The guy actually found me on IG and messaged me asking in I had an engine swap or was boosted...... and he called me a liar when I said it was pretty much intake and exhaust with lowering springs. Good possibility that the guy OP raced was doing something stupid or didn't know how to drive.
I bet if you listened closely in that moment... you could actually hear his heart break from whatever place he was at reading you saying essentially, “Nah... you got beat by a near-stock NA FWD family car that’s over 10 years older than your turbo RWD Bimmer that cost 2x what this cost new.” Weren’t Maximas still using iron VG 3.0s back then? :rofl:

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Power is not everything, learning about something power to weight ratio will ya??
Yes, let's look at power to weight ratios. Quick back-of-napkin math...

2020 X7 m50i: 523hp, curb weight 5661 freedom units, power to weight ratio = .0924 hp/lb
2018 Civic LX CVT hatchback: curb weight 2888 freedom units

In order for the Civic to match the X7's power-to-weight, you'd need to generate 266.85 hp. Which is even more than your optimistic dyno reported. Conclusion: give that X7 a driver mod, and it will win this matchup every time.

All that said, these numbers aren't quite as far apart as I originally suspected. The X7 is truly a pig. A stock CTR (.098 hp/lb) wouldn't break a sweat, and there are quite a few tuned Civics out there that would also spank the BMW.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've hmmm'ed and haw'ed over getting a tune since Day 1 b/c I strongly believe what you just said. Problem is I'm too big of a weenie and don't want to hurt my CVT. [And I even consider myself a risk taker!] In the end I just want my civic to provide enjoyment for years and years to come and I feel my best bet is leaving her stock, save for some bolt-ons. In reality, she's fast enough for what little amount of driving I do.
CVT turbo guy here. Been tuned on Hondata base and gtman homemade tunes, Ktuner Starter tweaked tunes and a slightly customized by Derek version of the TSP 1.

2.5 years+ tuned ...

I have no connection to any tuner or tuning device manufacturer. I just hands on believe it transforms these cars. And it can be extremely reliable. What you have to remember about tuning is that reliability is mostly controlled by your right foot and common sense.

I'm talking base tunes here on a more or less stock setup. Keep in mind too that you can have a variety of boost levels to choose from. You don't always have to go crazy with high boost. For example, you can run something like a 16psi tune. Tweak throttle and turbo response a bit. Use boost by gear to protect the CVT down low. Basically, you'd have the tune Honda should have given you from the factory with similar reliability and mpgs.

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, let's look at power to weight ratios. Quick back-of-napkin math...

2020 X7 m50i: 523hp, curb weight 5661 freedom units, power to weight ratio = .0924 hp/lb
2018 Civic LX CVT hatchback: curb weight 2888 freedom units

In order for the Civic to match the X7's power-to-weight, you'd need to generate 266.85 hp. Which is even more than your optimistic dyno reported. Conclusion: give that X7 a driver mod, and it will win this matchup every time.

All that said, these numbers aren't quite as far apart as I originally suspected. The X7 is truly a pig. A stock CTR (.098 hp/lb) wouldn't break a sweat, and there are quite a few tuned Civics out there that would also spank the BMW.
Like i said I did not send him to "gapplebees" I barely won by 3/4 of a car length. It was a 80 roll, it seems that my CVT with @Myx Double touch technique achieved peek power on the power band before the X7 had the chance to downshift. I don't know the driver mod or possible passenger mods the X7 had or what power setting he was using. Plus i couldn't here his exhaust over my custom CB exhaust. All I know is that I won, when I expected a lose and I wanted to share the results Is all.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx
Status
Not open for further replies.