mcpeterc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th Gen
Country flag
Hi.

Im a proud owner of a Civicx Elegance.

As we all know the rather old jellybean Android is sluggish at times. So I was thinking if it would be possible with Honda Hack to use a Chromecast to cast a phones display onto the infotainment touchscreen AND have touch capabilities?

This way I would always have internet connection - no need to setup tethering each time I turn on my car. Plus the CPU in modern Android phones are much faster then the one in my Civic and therefore no more sluggishness.
Sponsored

geolemon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Honda Civic EX (original owner), '17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
You might clarify what is a "Civicx Elegance", and a "Honda Hack".
Are these things that we don't have in the states?

If you are asking if there's a general hack to allow you to [specifically] chromecast to your existing in-dash display - you would need chromecast hardware. There are aftermarket companies like PAC who make adapters that you can wire in to hijack that video feed - some of them may offer HDMI now, or you might need to get an HDMI-to-composite adapter - but with that combo in place you could feasibly add a Chromecast...
Another thing the Chromecast needs however would be a wifi network. Does the Civic offer that? I know my Sport doesn't...
Again though, there's aftermarket solutions for that.

If "Chromecast" specifically isn't what you want, there's also adapters for cars that provide wifi AND offer Miracast-standard compatibility, to cast to.

OP
OP

mcpeterc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th Gen
Country flag
You might clarify what is a "Civicx Elegance", and a "Honda Hack".
Are these things that we don't have in the states?

If you are asking if there's a general hack to allow you to [specifically] chromecast to your existing in-dash display - you would need chromecast hardware. There are aftermarket companies like PAC who make adapters that you can wire in to hijack that video feed - some of them may offer HDMI now, or you might need to get an HDMI-to-composite adapter - but with that combo in place you could feasibly add a Chromecast...
Another thing the Chromecast needs however would be a wifi network. Does the Civic offer that? I know my Sport doesn't...
Again though, there's aftermarket solutions for that.

If "Chromecast" specifically isn't what you want, there's also adapters for cars that provide wifi AND offer Miracast-standard compatibility, to cast to.
Hi.

Yeah sorry. Civic Elegance is a EU model.
Honda hack does alot of things... its a must have imo :) I can install any andoid app and use the touchscreen to see youtube or movies or play the minisnes while driving. Normally this is not possible when the car is in gear.

Here is a US SI showcaseing the chromecast and honda hack (edit: this is not honda hack - this is just a development menu, Honda hack lets you set this permenent. Without honda hack you have to do the steps manually each time you turn the civic on):

My civic has buildin wifi, so I can use my phone to connect via wifi (tethering) and that way come online with the civic. The civic has a HDMI and chromecast can be connected. It would be very nice if I could cast my phones display AND use the infotainment touchscreen, but I dont think that chromecast has touchcapabilities when casting to a touchscreen. But it must be possible somehow.

Edit: honda hack: http://www.autohack.org/