OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Anyone have photos of a gloss vinyl on windows just to compare what it looks like against the lower rubber window moldings?? I don’t know if it will look mismatched and not look right
Sponsored

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
The front is actually split up into a few different sections, so it's not as difficult as it might seem. I've even seen pre-cut kits online, though I always prefer to buy vinyl on the roll. That way, you have more to hold onto and you can have a second go if you mess it up.

I wouldn't worry about the weather resistance. Decent quality vinyl is really tough. Just think of any commercial vehicles, cop cars, ambulances etc near you. They all have various types of vinyl on them and they hold up well.
Vinyl on sides of cars are on a flat surface and adhere a lot better than a moulding with a sharp edge. I just don’t want to take all this time installing it and then it starts coming off the edges of mouldings after one cold northern winter.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)’12 Camaro SS/RS ‘23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I went gloss. Matched the gloss window pillars I installed, as well as the gloss black paint of the front bumper, wheels etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen chrome delete question... 4706D995-663E-470C-BE01-63E017F56810
Honda Civic 10th gen chrome delete question... 067CD325-0CB3-4CE8-80EC-9DE25DB39C3C

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Vinyl on sides of cars are on a flat surface and adhere a lot better than a moulding with a sharp edge. I just don’t want to take all this time installing it and then it starts coming off the edges of mouldings after one cold northern winter.
You don't just stick it down, you heat it and stretch it. If you're using decent quality vinyl then it'll be a mission to get back off without heat.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
You don't just stick it down, you heat it and stretch it. If you're using decent quality vinyl then it'll be a mission to get back off without heat.
DO YOU HEAT AS YOU ARE APPLYING OR HEAT UP ONCE ITS APPLIED? i keep seeing people heating over it after its put on

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I went gloss. Matched the gloss window pillars I installed, as well as the gloss black paint of the front bumper, wheels etc.

4706D995-663E-470C-BE01-63E017F56810.jpeg
067CD325-0CB3-4CE8-80EC-9DE25DB39C3C.jpeg
i am nervous about cutting the vinyl with the exacto knife once vinyl is on, i dont want to cut into the paint or the rubber/chrome moulding.. how do you go about that?
your car looks great btw

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i am nervous about cutting the vinyl with the exacto knife once vinyl is on, i dont want to cut into the paint or the rubber/chrome moulding.. how do you go about that?
your car looks great btw
the top part is not rubber, I had a friend who owns a shop who does vinyl, etc mostly on super cars but he did it easily in about 30 mins.

I would advise against getting pre-cut ones and have a reputable local shop do it. Very easy for them 👍🏻

I do many things myself on my other car (main project/race car) so I understand, but when it comes to paint/any body work I look elsewhere.

Again don’t buy pre cut viny, get it done right the first time.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
the top part is not rubber, I had a friend who owns a shop who does vinyl, etc mostly on super cars but he did it easily in about 30 mins.

I would advise against getting pre-cut ones and have a reputable local shop do it. Very easy for them 👍🏻

I do many things myself on my other car (main project/race car) so I understand, but when it comes to paint/any body work I look elsewhere.

Again don’t buy pre cut viny, get it done right the first time.
There are no shops in the Cleveland area. I’ve looked. Found one shop and they wanted $750 to do entire car. Lol. Yeah right. I got the precut only the the windows from Jet Vinyl. Highly respected on the 10th Gen FB group. Rest I’m buying and doing myself.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There are no shops in the Cleveland area. I’ve looked. Found one shop and they wanted $750 to do entire car. Lol. Yeah right. I got the precut only the the windows from Jet Vinyl. Highly respected on the 10th Gen FB group. Rest I’m buying and doing myself.
yeah $750 is insane asking price. Was $160 to do my side window trim and front turn signals on the fenders.
I ordered jets vinyl for myGF hatch and it lasted for around almost 2 years before it started fading and having fitment issues. Again pre cut will never be as good as professional wrapped and their material isn’t the best vinyl to be honest.

Just searched for Cleveland and their are a few shops who do vinyl wrapping there, but if it’s a budget/ghetto shop they will have the cheap vinyl as well probably.

Just giving my honest opinion as we’ve had Jets Vinyl and now a custom job, and there is no comparison in quality.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
DO YOU HEAT AS YOU ARE APPLYING OR HEAT UP ONCE ITS APPLIED? i keep seeing people heating over it after its put on
You heat before applying, then heat again as you run it around contours, folding in edges etc.
You can run the heat gun over it a final time while you push out any air pockets. The heat activates the glue and also softens the vinyl to allow it to be shaped around awkward areas.

If you apply it cold then it'll likely peel off before too long, particularly in a cold climate.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
yeah $750 is insane asking price. Was $160 to do my side window trim and front turn signals on the fenders.
I ordered jets vinyl for myGF hatch and it lasted for around almost 2 years before it started fading and having fitment issues. Again pre cut will never be as good as professional wrapped and their material isn’t the best vinyl to be honest.

Just searched for Cleveland and their are a few shops who do vinyl wrapping there, but if it’s a budget/ghetto shop they will have the cheap vinyl as well probably.

Just giving my honest opinion as we’ve had Jets Vinyl and now a custom job, and there is no comparison in quality.
Yes I found a few shops but when I called them they said they don’t have someone there that does it. They used to 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored