Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums, and new to Civic ownership. I've found a lot of very useful info on here since I bought my car so I figured this would be the place to ask this question (also, thanks). Hopefully there's not an answer elsewhere and I missed it, because I was pretty diligent before posting this.

Anyway, I just bought a black 2019 Honda Civic Ex Coupe. I'm going for a blacked out look so I'd like to get some chrome deletes for it. Thus far all I can really find are deletes for the chrome trim along the windows (vinyl). I have yet to find anything that will take care of the two chrome accents above the foglights.

I guess my question is a two parter: I'm wondering if someone can direct me towards a place where I can get something to get rid of those accents. Also if I could get some thoughts on the best route to take for doing this (vinyl vs. plastidipped) it would be greatly appreciated as well. I like the idea of vinyl personally because it's less permanent. Also any pics of other cars going for a similar a look would be very welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

tonsofguns

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 Civic EX, 2015 Tundra
Country flag
Personally, I would go with these recently available gloss black overlays. They are an easy install and look excellent.
Nice find. Hopefully they'll put one out for the rear diffuser too.

McDavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Hmm, price seems high. Might have to consider this if it goes down a bit

OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just thought I'd follow up and post some pics of the finished product for anyone else considering. I think it ended up looking pretty great. My one issue is that there is an extremely tiny gap near the top that lets you see some chrome if you're really looking hard for it. Kinda silly, but I'm OCD about stuff like that so it is what it is. Also I'm a little concerned about residue if/when I decide to take them off. But overall I'm extremely happy. Next up is the trim for the windows which I'll be receiving tomorrow (from that Kooltint guy).

Also I'm starting to look into wheels. Going for the blacked out look (obviously), so looking for some nice black wheels. If anyone has any wheel/tire recs I'm all ears. Prob gonna do 18's. Konig Myths in gloss black maybe?

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? LYOLoaSgTfKCeC3gxP9e4Q

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? AeF2VDmQT+m3%2h96j7ww

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? Frz5BD14SXyTzFZQZGQIy

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? 7+B2qJuTRge8Agh+9P+DDA

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? J6PUfR96QSW4N+pg1hXj6w

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice. But now you should look into also blacking out the chrome around the windows, too. That will really complete the look.

Edit: My bad. I just saw the portion of your last post about the vinyl overlays.

OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice. But now you should look into also blacking out the chrome around the windows, too. That will really complete the look.
Yeah I actually mentioned that in the post. I have the chrome delete for the windows coming tomorrow. Plan on posting pics of that as well when I'm done.

OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I did the Chrome Deletes on the windows. Have to say I'm pretty disappointed. At a distance it looks fine, but upon closer inspection not so much. There's little spaces where the chrome is visible near the bottom of the trim. The outline on the corners is rough. Overall it's just not a very clean looking job. And I honestly don't think I could've done much better than I did. I was extremely careful and followed instruction from the install videos closely. Debating whether or not I want to keep them on. They don't look awful, but I know it's going to bother the OCD part of me. But I kind of need that chrome trim gone to accomplish the look I'm going for. Not sure what to do...

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? +C5wNdEyT%mBUm+rXzrNxA

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? fullsizeoutput_855

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? GOxfUDHlQhqQvtIWSakJnA

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? KR00nN1XS5SAZxOL48oEf

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? LCna%Vi2T72gfvQiF4aRWQ

Honda Civic 10th gen Chrome Delete 2019 Civix EX? NFZQ%7HYQjCxGyNvjp5vdw

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also tried the Kooltint chrome delete kit and I think I did a good job, but it was nowhere near flawless. It seems to me the vinyl should have been a bit larger to allow a little bit more leeway. As it is, you have to be perfect, and unless little imperfections don't bother people, I imagine a lot of folks did what I did.

I wound up taking it off because my OCD took over. And honestly, that chrome on the side windows still ties in with the wheels and front / back emblems.

Last edited:

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should get the lower, gloss black half of the grille :) Like the grille on the Sport. I never understood why Honda put gloss black on the upper half and matte black on the lower half.

OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also tried the Kooltint chrome delete kit and I think I did a good job, but it was nowhere near flawless. It seems to me the vinyl should have been a bit larger to allow a little bit more leeway. As it is, you have to be perfect, and unless little imperfections don't bother people, I imagine a lot of folks did what I did.

I wound up taking it off because my OCD took over. And honestly, that chrome on the side windows still ties in with the wheels and front / back emblems.
Yeah sounds like we're one in the same. My OCD is driving me nuts rn. Want to take them off, but then I'm not sure how to go about blacking that area out. And that was the whole idea for the car. Kinda doesn't work if I have those big chrome pieces on the windows. If I take off the window trim I'll want to take off the inserts by the fog lights, then I'm back to square one. Sigh.

OP
OP

Juiceboxjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Also I forgot to ask, what kind of condition was the chrome in when you took your kit off? Was there any residue left behind or anything? Will it require serious cleaning?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Debating whether or not I want to keep them on. They don't look awful, but I know it's going to bother the OCD part of me. But I kind of need that chrome trim gone to accomplish the look I'm going for. Not sure what to do...
I botched mine big time on first attempt and bit the bullet and bought a second kit. Muuuuuch better second try. Is not perfect but it's close enough that it doesn't drive me crazy.

One thing I did for your exact situation, is I made sure to cover the bottom first. I didn't pull tightly like I did the first time. I also wasnt afraid to peel back and reapply until it was good. I have a soft vinyl squeegee I got from gfxp for my lights. It helped a lot to smooth out bubbles

Two kits is still cheaper than paying a shop, but, if you're done with it, that's an alternative

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also I forgot to ask, what kind of condition was the chrome in when you took your kit off? Was there any residue left behind or anything? Will it require serious cleaning?
Peeled right off... zero residue.
Sponsored