Chipped paint help

momo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic sedan EX-T
hello!
I got a decent sized chip on the passenger door and I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and tell me if I need primer and/or he best way to fix it.
I've attached a picture of it. And yes I know you can see my stupid face in the reflection.
Thanks guys!

Honda Civic 10th gen Chipped paint help IMG_0144.JPG
Sponsored

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
This recently happen to my hood, only options really is to eat it, buy a paint pen from Honda for the same color car you have and patch it basically or get the whole door painted and coated again which would be the most expensive option. I just use paint pen it cost about 27 bucks and it covered it well but paint noticeable up close

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@momo I got a touch-up pen from Honda for $10 and a fine brush set from Walmart for $6.

I used a disposable plastic shot glass to bleed the touch-up pen on (a dixie cup can work too) and dipped the brush in that.

That's the best you can do imo. AND Do not use the clear coat part of the pen. Just leaves a bigger mess.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@momo Do not use the clear coat part of the pen. Just leaves a bigger mess.
No it doesn't. If you use it correctly, the paint can actually turn out better and blend in more with the factory paint job, you just have to have patience. I usually wait about 24 hours before applying the clear coat, in case I need to add another layer of paint to the chip. If you overuse the clear coat, then it'll look like a half ass job, yes. They have it there for a reason, so I would use it.

I used clear coat with my paint pens on my 2008 Civic I had (that was basically my learning car), my 2013 accord before I traded it in, and again on my new Civic I have now.

Buy the proper paint pen from Honda, and fill it in. Usually the paint doesn't settle/cure immediately, so if you mess up, wipe it away and try again until it's filled just right. Then wait for it to cure, then do a clear coat to prevent it from wearing out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

momo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic sedan EX-T
Thank you for the responses I was also wondering if I need to apply any primer first? On some websites I read if primer is gone paint won't stick to the car. And did you guys use the part of the pen that sands the edge of the chip or used a different type of sand paper?
Thank you

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No primer, no sanding! You're making this more difficult than it should be. Just follow the steps above. You can prep the spot with rubbing alcohol and paper towel if you want, but that's it.

@AegeanT Ok, I'll apply clear coat next time. So far I haven't had to touch up anything on this car.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No primer, no sanding! You're making this more difficult than it should be. Just follow the steps above. You can prep the spot with rubbing alcohol and paper towel if you want, but that's it.

@AegeanT Ok, I'll apply clear coat next time. So far I haven't had to touch up anything on this car.
Its all good! Just informing, thats all! As long as you take your time, itll turn out fine. Just hope that you do not have to use it at all like I have already :thumbsup:

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Couldn't you use the abrasive tip from the Honda touch-up paint to help make the chipped areas a bit more even? So when you apply the touch-up paint there won't be any blotches/ridges.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Couldn't you use the abrasive tip from the Honda touch-up paint to help make the chipped areas a bit more even? So when you apply the touch-up paint there won't be any blotches/ridges.
As far as I can remember, there isn't anything like that on the OEM Honda Touch up pens, unless Honda has something like that that I'm not aware of... I know for ones like Dupli Color, they do have that tip meant to scrape out debris, rust, etc. However, I just clean it really good, then fill it in. One thing to do too is fill it in shortly after the chip happens, so you don't let it rust with time, so I wouldn't really need to use the tip.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The Honda Touch Up pens do have the abrasive tip. I used it on my lower front bumper when it had a rock chip. You just have to be careful not to make the scrape or chip bigger.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Honda Touch Up pens do have the abrasive tip. I used it on my lower front bumper when it had a rock chip. You just have to be careful not to make the scrape or chip bigger.
Im going to take a shot in the dark and say that its the same part where the paint absorbs at the tip correct? If thats it then maybe i need to brush up a bit on my knowledge lol

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Im going to take a shot in the dark and say that its the same part where the paint absorbs at the tip correct? If thats it then maybe i need to brush up a bit on my knowledge lol
Actually it's designed as part of the cap, if you can believe that. It's a white tip that never comes in contact with the pen's paint.

hoffy5cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXL
hello!
I got a decent sized chip on the passenger door and I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and tell me if I need primer and/or he best way to fix it.
I've attached a picture of it. And yes I know you can see my stupid face in the reflection.
Thanks guys!

IMG_0144.JPG
Hello,
I have a new Civic Cosmic Blue and a BMW 20003 Z4. You have to check out Dr.Colorchip.com I have been using this method to repair multiple chips in all of my cars. I can tell you you will blown away by the results of how easy and accurate this system is. No, I do not belong to DR. Colorchip and have no association with. them, All I can say is I was ready to quit my day Job and make this a business. I am 58 years old and can tell you there is nothing out there other than this method to repair road rash and chips!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered a kit for my wife's Cosmic Blue 2016 Civic, so when the first chip arrives, I will be ready to fix her 100%.
Hope this helps you with my suggestions!

Good luck and please share if you decide to try this method of awesome paint chip repair!

Good Luck!
B-

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
there is nothing out there other than this method to repair road rash and chips!!!!!!!!!!
B-
It's called prevention I just put Xpel paint protection on the front of my car and A pillars and rockers and other areas prone to chips and scratches. Had my car for 8 months. Not a single chip!! Knock on wood. Lol
I recommend it if you are financing. If leasing I wouldn't since it is a $2,000 job.
I just got sick of my cars looking like crap after 5-7 years old with chips all over them.
I had a post somewhere here on these forums about the Xpel.

I attached a pic of my door edge film from Xpel paint protection. This is very close up. From a distance I can't tell at all and its all over my car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Chipped paint help ima

Last edited:

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After you use the clear coat, do you smooth out with a rubbing compound? If so, what kind?
Sponsored