Chip in windshield, can it be repaired?

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got this chip in my windshield from a flying rock. Do you think it can be repaired or will it have to be replaced eventually?

Honda Civic 10th gen Chip in windshield, can it be repaired? windshield
Sponsored

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
A window shop can fill it with resin. It won't be 100% invisible but maybe 60% and it will keep it from cracking. I would get it fixed sooner rather than later because once a crack starts to form it won't be long until the crack stretches the entire length of the window and the resin fill will stop this. There's self repair kits that you can buy from the automotive parts stores that have basically the same resin and there's plenty of youtube videos to see it done before you do it. I heard the permatex brand is very good and easy to do. Don't feel bad, I just got a chip in mine today. Damned lame construction crews milling the roadway and leaving debris on the surface for over a week. I've personally done that type of work for 24 years and we always run a street sweeper to clean the surface!

Last edited:

rapjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Rain-X makes a do-it-yourself repair kit with the resin, and it's SUPER easy to do, and costs around $10 at Wal-Mart.

JHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 Acura TSX
Country flag
Rain-X makes a do-it-yourself repair kit with the resin, and it's SUPER easy to do, and costs around $10 at Wal-Mart.
I can say that the Rain-X kit actually works. I've used it several times in the last few years. Although the resin may not completely illuminate the visual appearance of the crack/chip it did prevent further growth of the crack - which was the main goal. (I'd rather live with a tiny crack that won't grow, then pay $$$ for a new windshield.) The resin comes in a very tiny bottle. It appears like transparent liquid - which you apply drop-by-drop onto the crack/chip. There's also a small suction-cup device included to help with the application. You'll need a shaded area to apply the resin, and then a sunlit area to "cure" it dry. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to do the application, and then I leave the car out in the sun for an afternoon to cure the resin. Most of the time the Rain-X kit worked without any problems. The one time the Rain-X kit did not work was when I couldn't get the resin to fill-in a stubborn crack. I was then forced to take the car to a professional windshield repair shop. But since the Rain-X kit is so cheap, it's always the thing I try first.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A window shop can fill it with resin. It won't be 100% invisible but maybe 60% and it will keep it from cracking. I would get it fixed sooner rather than later because once a crack starts to form it won't be long until the crack stretches the entire length of the window and the resin fill will stop this. There's self repair kits that you can buy from the automotive parts stores that have basically the same resin and there's plenty of youtube videos to see it done before you do it. I heard the permatex brand is very good and easy to do. Don't feel bad, I just got a chip in mine today. Damned lame construction crews milling the roadway and leaving debris on the surface for over a week. I've personally done that type of work for 24 years and we always run a street sweeper to clean the surface!
Cool, I will have to try to have it done soon! All glass is covered by insurance where I'm at so should be able to have the pros do it...

Reactions: JHC
OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^ Cool, thanks. Based on the chip in that video mine should definitely be able to be repaired. Have them coming today to do it...
Sponsored