Checking Coolant Level

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Not a fan of the plastic coolant tank. Plastic is so thick and opaque it's difficult to see the liquid level.

The level markings on the side of the tank are difficult to see.

Obviously the level changes with liquid temperature. Owner's Manual doesn't make a distinction between cold and warm levels.

I've always checked the cold level before the first start of the day.

From the Manual:

"We recommend you check the engine coolant level every time you refuel. Check the reserve tank."

Not likely!
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Not a fan of the plastic coolant tank. Plastic is so thick and opaque it's difficult to see the liquid level.

Obviously the level changes with liquid temperature. Owner's Manual doesn't make a distinction between cold and warm levels.

From the Manual:

"We recommend you check the engine coolant level every time you refuel. Check the reserve tank."

Not likely!
I've always been told to check it cold. When the coolant is cold, it takes up less volume in the radiator, so it draws in more coolant from the overflow as it cools. To be sure there is enough coolant for the system when it is cold, there should always be a little bit extra in the overflow when it is cold. When it's warm, the coolant expands and goes back into the overflow. But if there are no Hot/Cold markings, it is meaningless how much coolant there is in the overflow when it is warm.

OP
OP

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The coolant system on the new Civic is different from my other Hondas. The plastic tank is pressurized. The system pressure cap is on the plastic tank.

Don't know why changed to this configuration?

Adding coolant to a pressurized, hot plastic tank is no different from adding coolant to a hot pressurized radiator before.

Liked the old non-pressurized plastic tank system better.

Maybe they can lower the front of the hood more with this system.

hydensiq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
The coolant system on the new Civic is different from my other Hondas. The plastic tank is pressurized. The system pressure cap is on the plastic tank.

Don't know why changed to this configuration?

Adding coolant to a pressurized, hot plastic tank is no different from adding coolant to a hot pressurized radiator before.

Liked the old non-pressurized plastic tank system better.

Maybe they can lower the front of the hood more with this system.
Question when the car is cold. Should the coolant level be at Min Line? or Max Line?

OP
OP

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anywhere between Min and Max. If you're adding, fill to Max line.

Adding Coolant -- Make sure the engine and coolant are cool before adding.

Fill to Max mark.

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag

From the Manual:

Not likely!
I found it easiest to put a little flashlight against the plastic reservoir tank. Just at the corner nearest min/max line, and it should show your coolant level very easily.

motorcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic-touring
Country flag
I found it easiest to put a little flashlight against the plastic reservoir tank. Just at the corner nearest min/max line, and it should show your coolant level very easily.
hopefully this trend is not that old...my mechanic told me that the container for coolant is just taking extra fluid and so he didn't care about level min or max as long as there is something there. mine is always a little below minimum. ( I have civic 2016--touring)
is he correct??

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
hopefully this trend is not that old...my mechanic told me that the container for coolant is just taking extra fluid and so he didn't care about level min or max as long as there is something there. mine is always a little below minimum. ( I have civic 2016--touring)
is he correct??
Yes, it's an overflow tank, so as long as there is coolant in there, whether hot or cold, it means the radiator is full.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
When the engine's cold, remove the coolant cap. Stick a small flashlight at the top of the hole, pointing down. You can see the green fluid against the min/max lines clearly.

OP
OP

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't really want to remove the coolant cap to check the liquid level. When you remove the cap you often have a small amount of coolant to clean up.
Sponsored