CHECK WHATS IN YOUR OIL!!!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Tough crowd on here. Not sure why people think it's a stretch that somebody would return oil after using it and refilling the bottle with water. There are many, many scumbags out there.

As for not noticing it, I am sure not every quart was filled with water. Most people are not exactly going to be sizing up what's coming out of the bottle with scrutiny, I've never thought to. I could be looking off in space while pouring. Why would he lie? All he is saying is to pay attention to what's in those bottles so as to not make the same mistake he did. That's a simple enough message.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You should always shake your oil bottles vigorously before opening them to ensure any additives that may have settled are mixed back in.

Shaking the bottle would have immediately alerted you to the contents having a significantly different viscosity than motor oil.

Also Amsoil does not have a double seal either, but their snap cap seal breaks reliably every time.

Doesn't mean that someone with sufficient motivation couldn't bypass the seal out of malice.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Well, one more reason for me to skip Amsoil or Royal Purple. Without personally penetrating these seals I would get no satisfaction from the oil change.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Interestingly enough, a good portion of top oil brands rely on snap caps. I tend to see the foil wrappers on coolant bottles.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 2.0 Sedan
Country flag
You should always shake your oil bottles vigorously before opening them to ensure any additives that may have settled are mixed back in.

Shaking the bottle would have immediately alerted you to the contents having a significantly different viscosity than motor oil.

Also Amsoil does not have a double seal either, but their snap cap seal breaks reliably every time.

Doesn't mean that someone with sufficient motivation couldn't bypass the seal out of malice.
I did not know you had to shake it. Thank you for the new info!

Deane

First Name
Deane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom 3S
Country flag
I should think any good lawyer could sue Walmart for the price of a new engine. Running an engine down the street and back with water instead of oil is enough to seriously compromise the bearings and/or rings.
This engine will probably fail early.

Reactions: Zed

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I read an article several years ago about thieves swapping contents of boxes & returning the item. One person bought a camera & opened the box at home & got a rock instead. The box was resealed with a rock so it felt like a camera was in it. There are a lot of scumbags out there.