CHECK WHATS IN YOUR OIL!!!

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I almost had this same thing happen to me. I bought the extended protection Mobil1 from walmart as well. The seal ring on the cap was intact and someone went through the trouble of gluing a Keurig foil from a Kcup upside down on the jug. The just was completely filled with water. I noticed it before pouring, but it's crazy people do their oil changes and then refill the jug with water to return for their money back.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ironically, I bought a bottle of Perrier water and it was filled with oil. :cool:

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Ironically, I bought a bottle of Perrier water and it was filled with oil. :cool:
Good one! BTW, I noticed in another thread that you had to purchase some 3M trim double sided tape for your steel dead pedal after it came loose, and the same thing happened to me. My Google-fu has deserted me and I can't find that kind of tape. Would you happen to have a link for the tape or at least it's description? Thanks!!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 2.0 Sedan
Country flag
I almost had this same thing happen to me. I bought the extended protection Mobil1 from walmart as well. The seal ring on the cap was intact and someone went through the trouble of gluing a Keurig foil from a Kcup upside down on the jug. The just was completely filled with water. I noticed it before pouring, but it's crazy people do their oil changes and then refill the jug with water to return for their money back.

Glad you caught it! It sucks people would do this.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I knew a guy when I was young that would buy a case of beer, drink it, fill the empties with water, put the caps back on and bring it back to the store telling the clerk he wanted to exchange it because he bought the wrong brand. So, be careful of your beer too! lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good one! BTW, I noticed in another thread that you had to purchase some 3M trim double sided tape for your steel dead pedal after it came loose, and the same thing happened to me. My Google-fu has deserted me and I can't find that kind of tape. Would you happen to have a link for the tape or at least it's description? Thanks!!
I used this.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp/B002JOVUO0/

Remember to wipe the stock dead pedal well with rubbing alcohol first. And if it's cold, heat it up with a hair dryer before mounting the pedal cover. Press firmly in place for a few minutes and you should be good to go.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I used this.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp/B002JOVUO0/

Remember to wipe the stock dead pedal well with rubbing alcohol first. And if it's cold, heat it up with a hair dryer before mounting the pedal cover. Press firmly in place for a few minutes and you should be good to go.
Thanks, I saw several similar items on Amazon but I was having a difficult time figuring out which were the thin tapes and which were the ones that were thicker with the cushioned carrier.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My Wal-Mart employee friends confirm that they just take anything back and return it to the shelves. I asked about the produce/groceries that people shoplift and empty out of their pants in the LP office when they are caught. They say it goes right back on the shelf unless there's something very obviously wrong. (*shrug*)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That's actually quite surprising since the EP bottles have a clear line to check for color/level before purchasing. FYI the next time you pick up a quart (or gallon). :cool:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I see people stealing at Walmart all the time. It's a den of thieves.

But they also steal anywhere. I once bought a refrigerator water filter at Best Buy and when I opened the box the foil wrap and seal were missing and the filter had water inside.
People tend to steal particularly items like this that are necessary but ridiculously overpriced. But whoever stole the new one, it was a Best Buy pimply idiot boy or girl, too cheap to even bother to fire, who put the used filter back on the shelf without inspection. Factory seals are on products for a reason.

Engine oil without a seal on the bottle? Is this true this Royal Purple stuff doesn't have a factory seal? I have never seen motor oil without a double seal - foil on the bottle and a plastic seal part of the cap. But then the reason I never bought Royal Purple is because I wouldn't trust it.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see people stealing at Walmart all the time. It's a den of thieves.

But they also steal anywhere. I once bought a refrigerator water filter at Best Buy and when I opened the box the foil wrap and seal were missing and the filter had water inside.
People tend to steal particularly items like this that are necessary but ridiculously overpriced. But whoever stole the new one, it was a Best Buy pimply idiot boy or girl, too cheap to even bother to fire, who put the used filter back on the shelf without inspection. Factory seals are on products for a reason.

Engine oil without a seal on the bottle? Is this true this Royal Purple stuff doesn't have a factory seal? I have never seen motor oil without a double seal - foil on the bottle and a plastic seal part of the cap. But then the reason I never bought Royal Purple is because I wouldn't trust it.
Yeah, they do not put the foil on the bottle or a plastic seal. I do know most other brands do, but I hear royal purple is actually good motor oil when you put actual oil in the car instead. My friend and I checked the other 3 5qt bottles they gave us and none of those came with a foil or plastic seal, just that snap cap thing that actually, 2 out of the 3 we opened the cap came off with the lid, so that explains how they’re easily resealed.

Regardless the big lesson is check what you’re buying and keep your receipts. Otherwise you’ll be in a bad position.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you drink a water bottle that doesn’t have a sealed cap? Always check for sealed product.
Sorry I didn’t see you added more to your comment until now! You bring up a good point. The obvious answer is no, I wouldn’t. But this isn’t the same circumstance as your example. Walmart is a well known company, and trusted by many people. How many of us go to a store and buy products without a second thought? If that “person” was well known and trusted enough that multiple people still go to them for that water bottle, and that bottled looked sealed, and was not a see through plastic, I probably would take a drink.

But this thread was made because I didn’t wish for people to fall into the same mistake as me and check the products, even from a trusted source. I know this looks like a rookie mistake to everyone, but that doesn’t matter if this post saves a single person from going through the same thing I went through.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
All that work for what, 20 bucks? not even counting gas and time used to drive back and forth. It's amazing. I wipe my ass with 20 dollar bills.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
something doesn't add up here. first off, that milky mix looks like a coolant/oil mix. secondly, there's no way in the world the person pouring oil from into the engine via funnel doesn't notice it's not actually oil but water. yo u mustevbeen shitfaced or high AF not to notice that. so, I call this whole story BS on steroids
Sponsored