CHECK WHATS IN YOUR OIL!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 2.0 Sedan
Country flag
Hello friends! Just wanted to spread awareness of the dangers of DIY oil changes. Some back ground, bought some oil from Walmart (royal purple 0W-20 high performance oil). Turns out, there wasn’t oil in that container, it was water! Who would had guess? Long story short, I ended up driving my civic down the road for the oil light to come on and off, it took 7 flushes to start getting oil to come out instead of water. The picture below shows the FIRST time I drained the “oil” from my civic.
Honda Civic 10th gen CHECK WHATS IN YOUR OIL!!! 884821AF-53AF-4E7E-A675-10A056A3F7FE
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So somebody tampered with the product on the shelf at the store. Those jugs should be sealed. Water looks a lot different than oil as well.

Im left scratching my head on how you couldn’t tell this wasn’t oil in this jug.

Would you drink a water bottle that doesn’t have a sealed cap? Always check for sealed product.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did it have the regular purple coloring? If it was just plain water, I feel that would have been very easily noticeable.
Yes it did, it had a purple tint. But the issue is there was red flags everywhere. I did the oil change in dim lighting, so I saw purple but didn’t see the water. It was also late so I was slightly sleepy. This is more of a “learn from my mistakes”. I don’t want other people to run into this issue, especially since most of us trust what’s off the shelves at our local parts store.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So somebody tampered with the product on the shelf at the store. Those jugs should be sealed. Water looks a lot different than oil as well.

Im left scratching my head on how you couldn’t tell this wasn’t oil in this jug.
With these particular jugs, they do have that seal on the cap that snaps. We found out if you really wanted to, you can tighten it so it makes that snapping sound along with making it looked sealed. It does not have that little seal that covers the hole under the cap however.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did it have the foil cover that you have to tear into?

I buy my oil from walmart too but not royal purple. I dont trust those. I use mobil1

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did it have the foil cover that you have to tear into?

I buy my oil from walmart too but not royal purple. I dont trust those. I use mobil1
They do not :) unfortunately.

What I would question, is when you dipped your finger in the oil to lube the oil filter, did you notice that it wasn't exactly oil?
That is a very good question, but unfortunately I didn’t use that oil, I just used the one coming from the oil pan already.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some jerk bought the oil, used it, refilled the container with water, tightened up the cap and returned it to the store for a refund.
Smh. Some people never cease to amaze me. I always check to make sure the color is right as well as the smell and viscosity. Perhaps I am too cautious. Perhaps I’m too extra. But the fact is there are indeed people out there that do scummy things and others innocently pay the price.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some jerk bought the oil, used it, refilled the container with water, tightened up the cap and returned it to the store for a refund.
Yes, that’s what I assume too! Or someone from Walmart’s quick lube took it, used the oil and filled it back up with water. Either way, whoever did that wasn’t very considerate for others.

Smh. Some people never cease to amaze me. I always check to make sure the color is right as well as the smell and viscosity. Perhaps I am too cautious. Perhaps I’m too extra. But the fact is there are indeed people out there that do scummy things and others innocently pay the price.
I’m glad you do that! However please be aware, like I said previously the color was actually purple. I assume it has to do with the fact oil floats over water I saw the oily portion of it. And even the smell was of oil. When things started feeling weird, I looked at the bottle which read my viscosity (0W-20) and said motor oil. Everything off your list checked off on mine. Take an extra step and look inside the bottle. I’m sure if I actually poured some out onto the cap I would had realized it was water. But it went straight into my engine.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
What I would question, is when you dipped your finger in the oil to lube the oil filter, did you notice that it wasn't exactly oil?
I do this too.

Was confused by the title of this thread, expected it to be about someone sending a oil sample to like Blackstone Labs and it coming back with lots of fuel in it or something, not that some dude bought bad oil from the store.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Thanks for the warning dude. I know that after doing one thing so many times (in this case oil change), people can tend to be relaxed and miss checking/noticing the red flags.

At least this will serve as a reminder to the forum members who are changing the oil themselves.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the warning dude. I know that after doing one thing so many times (in this case oil change), people can tend to be relaxed and miss checking/noticing the red flags.

At least this will serve as a reminder to the forum members who are changing the oil themselves.
Exactly, what made this any different from any other oil change? At this point it’s muscle memory. I’m extremely happy however a lot of the forum members know how to see the red flags and already take precautions to protect their own cars. This is just to serve as a reminder when some feels bad, seems bad, it’s probably bad. Not to bash Walmart or royal purple as this could had easily happen anywhere else. Just an FYI, Walmart did give me a full refund and gave me 15 qts of royal purple for free.
Sponsored