Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Well, dropped it off at the dealer just now...

in typical O'Daniel fashion they told me it would be under warranty on the phone and said it wasn't when I showed up. They wrote me a 135 diagnostic fee.

No matter how this is resolved I am never buying another Honda.
What are you going to buy?
Sponsored

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
What has happened here is the infamous CHASSIS SAFETY MODE. Anyone who has taken one of these new civics to a dyno knows you have to do the peddle dance to put the VSA system into diagnostic mode before you put the car on the dyno because the wheel speed sensors picking up movement in the front wheels but not the rear sends the ECU over the edge. I did this myself when trying to figure out an intermittent noise coming from under the car. There is indeed enough torque to move the front wheels while in neutral and that movement will in fact trigger the CHASSIS SAFETY MODE. I fixed mine with my laptop and hondata by clearing codes driving 50ish miles and then clearing any remaining codes, about 10 minutes of driving after the second clearing all was normal again. If you don't have hondata to clear codes with I would suggest disconnecting the battery letting it sit for a half an hour then hook it back up drive it for 50ish miles and then disconnect the battery again for another 30 minutes. If after doing that you get no resolution you're going to have to make a stop at the dealership and have them put the Honda computer on it. A snap on computer may work as well but I'd be guessing at that.

OP
OP

Sunnohh

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic base manual
Country flag
What are you going to buy?
Not that they are any better at shit like this, but I have been doing very well at work and was kinda thinking of a bmw m2, m4, or porsche gt4 / cayman gts or a theoretical 911 without a turbo (assuming they end up making a gts of sorts and keep it under 130k). Also considering a tesla model 3 lr (not performance) or the new sedan polestar. However quality concerns keep me away from Tesla so far. Also considering the new corvette but really want a manual and something about quality concerns. Kinda waiting to see what the 2022 subaru wrx ends up looking like. I am too tall for the supra (already tried it out) and don't want a mustang, but the gt350 was in the running. Also for whatever reason (I hate suv's normally) the two door manual bronco has me a little wet.

I got the car back from the dealer today, and apparently I didn't set the codes off....

It was the fucking battery. Apparently 12.7 volts and being able to crank the engine are not indicative of a 12 volt battery working. o_O

GotBoost?

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan, 1992 Chevy Blazer
Country flag
Howdy,

My old man does my oil changes and with the whole covid crap going on I dropped the car off and he worked on it the next day. He jacked it into the air and turned the engine on to get some heat into the oil before doing the change. Car is 2016 four door base model, manual transmission.

He came back about 10 minutes later and since then I have had the following lights:
tcs off when starting
tcs orange
electric steering orange
tpms orange / flashing when started
brake light red
brake system orange

The parking brake makes a horrible noise when trying to engage when running since this started, it won't even try when the car is off.

Any help much appreciated. Is this normal if you run the car on jack stands? If so, is there an easy fix, I've put a cycle of driving on it and the lights are unchanged. We have not disconnected the battery yet. He did pull the main fuse, but assumed if I have to take it to the dealer they will want the codes. Other posters have mentioned something about an ecu fault that is common but, I also saw a few posters imply that you can't run the car while it's off the ground. Neither seemed to have much actual info....

Thanks, first and hopefully not last honda... this will be my 4th issue since buying it new. I came from a dodge neon and never had issues like this car. Actually just replaced a control arm at 120k and nothing else on that car, lol. So far I have been in for, horrible quacking noise from the gas lid, 2 unexplained check engine lights that required major repair they wouldn't actually tell me how they fixed it at the dealer, and now this.

Grab a cheap $20/$30 OBD2 code reader/clearer. I got one from harbor freight years ago when I had code happy 08 wrx and have since used on my 11 altima, neighbors cars, grandmother's buick etc. Write down the codes, google+learn, and then clear em all if applicable

It's not this exact model but

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...eaders-scanners/obd-ii-code-reader-64981.html

Walmart also has one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...E7N02ON92NIIUiMLNCAcGqHLlLtOQRMUaAq4WEALw_wcB

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Connect that OBD2 reader to Torque Pro.apk and it'll tell you the codes and their meanings too

OP
OP

Sunnohh

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic base manual
Country flag
Grab a cheap $20/$30 OBD2 code reader/clearer. I got one from harbor freight years ago when I had code happy 08 wrx and have since used on my 11 altima, neighbors cars, grandmother's buick etc. Write down the codes, google+learn, and then clear em all if applicable

It's not this exact model but

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...eaders-scanners/obd-ii-code-reader-64981.html

Walmart also has one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...E7N02ON92NIIUiMLNCAcGqHLlLtOQRMUaAq4WEALw_wcB
Thanks, but waaaayyyy past that. Wasn't even a code in the end
Sponsored