Cheapest way to get a better sounding exhaust?

XJmanaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX-P Coupe, 93 EG Coupe
Hey guys, new to these forums but loving them so far! I've had my 2.0L LX-P for a couple months and loving it, the engine sounds great at higher RPM's and I'm definitely planning on getting an aftermarket air intake to help the engine sound even further. The only thing I dislike is the exhaust "sound" if you can even call it that because its so weak. I'm only 18 and spent all my money ( and a little more ;)) on the car itself. What would be the cheapest way to improve the noise? and I don't mean an obnoxious fart cannon because I've owned a 93 EG before...Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I would say there is no cheap when to get better sound. You will need a muffler or a full catback. If it was a 8th gen civic I would say throw the Si muffler on which was bolt up or if it was a Vw (mk7) I would do resonator delete.

OP
OP
XJmanaX

XJmanaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say there is no cheap when to get better sound. You will need a muffler or a full catback. If it was a 8th gen civic I would say throw the Si muffler on which was bolt up or if it was a Vw (mk7) I would do resonator delete.
Are you sure you can't delete a res? If so how much would a full catback system run me? Had one on my EG Coupe lol

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
You can delete your resonator but with the 2.0 you wouldn't have good sound that way since the muffler is just a plain eco box muffler. I don't know how much a cat back would be but probably around 800 range. The stock piping is probably only 2".

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
You can delete your resonator but with the 2.0 you wouldn't have good sound that way since the muffler is just a plain eco box muffler. I don't know how much a cat back would be but probably around 800 range. The stock piping is probably only 2".
This is exactly what I did. Except I put a straight pipe in place of the muffler. I used a 2" Flowmaster DBX in place of the res. Cost was $150 for the muffler and $40 for the straight pipe. I did the install myself because the local muffler shop quoted me $120.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
^^ Props to doing it yourself and I like the tip but not a fan of the sound.
It's got a high pitch to it, which is a love or hate type of sound, I guess. In person, it sounds more like a big bike engine. I personally love the way flat plane engines sound. Different muffler combos won't change it all that much.

What it sounds like in the car:

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I'll be ditching the current stock diameter setup for the Magnaflow catback when it comes out. And I'll be getting a downpipe from RV6 very soon. So it's going to get louder. Hopefully a bit faster too.:)

OP
OP
XJmanaX

XJmanaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is exactly what I did. Except I put a straight pipe in place of the muffler. I used a 2" Flowmaster DBX in place of the res. Cost was $150 for the muffler and $40 for the straight pipe. I did the install myself because the local muffler shop quoted me $120.

sounds great man! whatd you rev it at in this video? my car wont go past 4k without it being in drive....

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, new to these forums but loving them so far! I've had my 2.0L LX-P for a couple months and loving it, the engine sounds great at higher RPM's and I'm definitely planning on getting an aftermarket air intake to help the engine sound even further. The only thing I dislike is the exhaust "sound" if you can even call it that because its so weak. I'm only 18 and spent all my money ( and a little more ;)) on the car itself. What would be the cheapest way to improve the noise? and I don't mean an obnoxious fart cannon because I've owned a 93 EG before...Thanks in advance guys!
cheapest way?

.....make your own sounds when you drive :rolleyes:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
sounds great man! whatd you rev it at in this video? my car wont go past 4k without it being in drive....
That is normal. It is a safety feature used to keep the driver from bouncing off the rev limiter when there is no load on the engine, thus preventing potential damage from occurring. All Civics, regardless of trim/engine type, have this feature.
Sponsored